News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Former names you use without meaning to

Started by Pete from Boston, February 26, 2015, 01:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Longs Drug Store which has its origins in the San Francisco area but somehow CVS Pharmacy managed to keep their Hawaii stores named as Longs Drugs

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/05/03/cvs-closing-dozens-stores-us-including-honolulu/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CVS_Pharmacy

Although some of the CVS owned Longs Drugs' has been renamed as CVS in Hawaii in 2019 due to the battle with Walgreens.

hbelkins

Our local Rite Aid converted (finally) to Walgreens a couple of months ago, but I still call them Rite Aid.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: DTComposer on June 09, 2020, 12:34:47 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on June 08, 2020, 10:32:05 PM
Quote from: kkt on June 08, 2020, 03:14:23 PM
I keep calling FedEx Office "Kinkos".  It's mostly an accident, and only partly because it's shorter.

I always called and still call it Kinko's, as the namesake was born in my old stomping grounds, Kent, OH.

Can you clarify? The founder of Kinko’s was born and raised in Los Angeles, and the first Kinko’s was opened next to the UC Santa Barbara campus.

That said, I still call it Kinko’s as well - FedEx Office just doesn’t flow off the tongue for me.

This confuses me too, since a plaque commemorating the world's first Kinko's was unveiled my first quarter at UCSB.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

thenetwork

Quote from: DTComposer on June 09, 2020, 12:34:47 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on June 08, 2020, 10:32:05 PM
Quote from: kkt on June 08, 2020, 03:14:23 PM
I keep calling FedEx Office "Kinkos".  It's mostly an accident, and only partly because it's shorter.

I always called and still call it Kinko's, as the namesake was born in my old stomping grounds, Kent, OH.

Can you clarify? The founder of Kinko's was born and raised in Los Angeles, and the first Kinko's was opened next to the UC Santa Barbara campus.

That said, I still call it Kinko's as well - FedEx Office just doesn't flow off the tongue for me.

Mea culpa.  I guess I was still a gullible college student back then.  I thought it was founded there since they had the main store by Kent State, and then they had a corporate building of some sort on the west edge of town.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: hbelkins on June 09, 2020, 04:38:17 PM
Our local Rite Aid converted (finally) to Walgreens a couple of months ago, but I still call them Rite Aid.

Wonder how many people in Delaware and in Delaware County, PA still call Walgreens Happy Harry's.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Big John

There are only 1-2 Red Owls left.  One being on 9th St. and 12th Ave. in Green Bay.

Flint1979

I never hear Rite Aid called Perry Drugs or CVS called Arbor Drugs.

catch22

Quote from: renegade on June 09, 2020, 02:38:25 PM
Quote from: GaryV on June 09, 2020, 07:54:51 AM
Quote from: renegade on June 08, 2020, 08:38:09 PM
Quote from: GaryV on June 08, 2020, 04:36:17 PM
Quote from: renegade on June 08, 2020, 02:43:52 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on June 08, 2020, 10:13:08 AM
The local Family Fare is sometimes referred to as Glen's (a fairly recent former name) or even Prevo's (what the name was before it became Glen's)
I remember Glen's when it was called the Red Owl.

Were all the Glen's called Red Owl?  I seem to remember Red Owl in the western part of the UP.
I can only speak for the ones in the Soo and St Ignace.  Not sure about the others.

Per Wikipedia on Glen's:
QuoteThe chain expanded into the Upper Peninsula in 1986 by purchasing Red Owl locations in St. Ignace, Munising, Sault Ste. Marie, and Iron Mountain, along with a newly built store in Escanaba.

Glen's in the LP were not Red Owl.
Thanks for clarifying that.  I wasn't sure.

Sure do miss the Red Owl, though.

One Red Owl I recall was in Champion.  My family used to camp at Van Riper State Park back in the '60s, and the Red Owl was the closest grocery store. The building still exists in pretty much its original configuration, now a bait shop.  Not the largest store by any means but they seemed to have everything we needed.

https://goo.gl/maps/MrfCyYJvm8z3pSxB7

GaryV

Quote from: catch22 on June 11, 2020, 08:20:09 AM
Quote from: renegade on June 09, 2020, 02:38:25 PM
Quote from: GaryV on June 09, 2020, 07:54:51 AM
Quote from: renegade on June 08, 2020, 08:38:09 PM
Quote from: GaryV on June 08, 2020, 04:36:17 PM
Quote from: renegade on June 08, 2020, 02:43:52 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on June 08, 2020, 10:13:08 AM
The local Family Fare is sometimes referred to as Glen's (a fairly recent former name) or even Prevo's (what the name was before it became Glen's)
I remember Glen's when it was called the Red Owl.

Were all the Glen's called Red Owl?  I seem to remember Red Owl in the western part of the UP.
I can only speak for the ones in the Soo and St Ignace.  Not sure about the others.

Per Wikipedia on Glen's:
QuoteThe chain expanded into the Upper Peninsula in 1986 by purchasing Red Owl locations in St. Ignace, Munising, Sault Ste. Marie, and Iron Mountain, along with a newly built store in Escanaba.

Glen's in the LP were not Red Owl.
Thanks for clarifying that.  I wasn't sure.

Sure do miss the Red Owl, though.

One Red Owl I recall was in Champion.  My family used to camp at Van Riper State Park back in the '60s, and the Red Owl was the closest grocery store. The building still exists in pretty much its original configuration, now a bait shop.  Not the largest store by any means but they seemed to have everything we needed.

https://goo.gl/maps/MrfCyYJvm8z3pSxB7
We shopped at that store, must have been in 1990.  We were at family camp at Camp Michigamme, and we needed baby food for my youngest.  As I recall, they had about 2 choices of fruit and vegetables, maybe only 1 meat choice.

Was it maybe an IGA at that time?

bing101

Marine World Parkway (Former alignment for CA-37) in Vallejo, CA due to some leftover signage from decades ago but thats been since renamed as Lewis Brown, Dr since 2007-2008. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_37

However CA-37 the current alignment in Vallejo, CA is currently known as the James Capoot Highway and Randy Bolt Highway officially by Caltrans.

CNGL-Leudimin

Bumping this, because...
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 13, 2016, 01:25:40 PM
Kiev, always.

... this is no longer true. I've switched to Kyiv.

Where I live, "Aldi" is still widely used to refer to a supermarket chain unrelated to the German one, 20 years after it ceased to use that name (concurrently with the entrance of the German chain in Spain). It is now branded as Supermercados AltoAragón.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

TheHighwayMan3561

Camp Snoopy at the Mall of America (it's been Nickelodeon Universe for at least 15 years now)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

triplemultiplex

Sears Tower.  (probably in this long thread already)
Miller Park.  (name change is too new to sink in)
Rib Mountain Ski Area. (I refuse to call it "Granite Peak" for two reasons: 1. The geographic prominence is called Rib Mountain.  2. It's not made of granite at all.  It's 100% quartzite, a metamorphosed form of sandstone, so it's not even closely related to granite.)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

GaryV

Since this thread was revived -

Pine Knob is Pine Knob again. Everyone who continued to call it that through the DTE years is correct again.

Takumi

Pretty much all 21st century South African town name changes.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

JayhawkCO

Mile High for Invesco/Empower/Whatever the Hell It Is Now Stadium
Pepsi Center for Ball Arena

amroad17

Carrier Dome :thumbsup: instead of JMA Wireless Dome :thumbdown: in Syracuse.  Actually, I mean to use Carrier Dome:nod:

Also, in Syracuse, it is still the Onondaga County War Memorial to me instead of Oncenter or the current name of Upstate Medical University Arena.
I still call what is now the Truist Arena on the campus of Northern Kentucky University, formerly the BB&T Arena, the Bank of Kentucky Center.
It is still the US Bank Arena to me instead of Heritage Bank Center in Cincinnati.  If I had lived in Northern Kentucky before 1994, I probably would still call it Riverfront Coliseum.
What is now Thomas More Stadium, in which the Florence Freedom Y'alls play in the Frontier League, also formerly UC Health Stadium, I still call it Champion Window Field.

In all, I do mean to use these names. 
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Scott5114

I was showing my wife a map of Las Vegas and caught myself referring to LAS airport as McCarran, despite it being shown on the map as Harry Reid. I have no idea why–it's not like I've ever even been to Las Vegas, so it's not like I have an attachment to the name McCarran.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

epzik8

1st Mariner Arena/Royal Farms Arena
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 18, 2022, 02:15:01 AM
I was showing my wife a map of Las Vegas and caught myself referring to LAS airport as McCarran, despite it being shown on the map as Harry Reid. I have no idea why–it's not like I've ever even been to Las Vegas, so it's not like I have an attachment to the name McCarran.

Heck, I've been to Vegas a dozen times, and don't think I ever used "McCarran".  I just say Las Vegas Airport, Vegas Airport, or LAS.  And completely forgot the name changed.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: epzik8 on July 18, 2022, 06:33:31 AM
1st Mariner Arena/Royal Farms Arena
Nah.  Baltimore Civic Center.  Just like the XL, MassMutual, and Dunkin Donuts Centers are the Hartford, Springfield, and Providence Civic Centers.  The DCU Center in Worcester will always be The Centrum, and Times-Union Arena in Albany will always be Knickerbocker Arena.  I still call Highmark Stadium either Rich or Ralph Wilson Stadium, and occasionally call MetLife Giants Stadium (though the latter, which held so many great concert memories for me, sadly is no more).

Speaking of concerts, I still call many of the outdoor amphitheaters by their original names.  XFinity Theatre and XFinity Center as The Meadows and Great Woods, Ruoff Music Center as Deer Creek, PNC Bank Arts Center as Garden State Arts Center
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

thenetwork

And just recently, Heinz Field in Pittsburgh is no more as they just changed naming rights from the famous ketchup and condiment company to some tech-based company that allegedly most people have never heard of -- Acrisure.

I'm willing to bet that most people will refer to the Steelers stadium as Heinz *or* Three Rivers before they utter the name of the new tech company -- Acrisure!

JayhawkCO

For the Kansas City folks, "Oklahoma Joe's". It is not, and will never be, KC Joe's.

Big John

Quote from: thenetwork on July 18, 2022, 09:19:52 AM
And just recently, Heinz Field in Pittsburgh is no more as they just changed naming rights from the famous ketchup and condiment company to some tech-based company that allegedly most people have never heard of -- Acrisure.

I'm willing to bet that most people will refer to the Steelers stadium as Heinz *or* Three Rivers before they utter the name of the new tech company -- Acrisure!

Another reason they never heard of it is that is a Michigan-based insurance comany.

J N Winkler

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 18, 2022, 07:35:54 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 18, 2022, 02:15:01 AMI was showing my wife a map of Las Vegas and caught myself referring to LAS airport as McCarran, despite it being shown on the map as Harry Reid. I have no idea why–it's not like I've ever even been to Las Vegas, so it's not like I have an attachment to the name McCarran.

Heck, I've been to Vegas a dozen times, and don't think I ever used "McCarran".  I just say Las Vegas Airport, Vegas Airport, or LAS.  And completely forgot the name changed.

I have actually called it "McCarran Airport" and flat-out did not know the name had changed.  I am glad to find out it has!  This said, I had not been aware of McCarran's reputation as a racist and anti-Semite, so I had been thinking more in terms of the McCarran Act and his role as one of Joseph McCarthy's chief enablers.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.