Pace Buses To Start Using Shoulders On I-94 Edens

Started by bahnburner, May 26, 2017, 01:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bahnburner

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/05/22/pace-buses-edens-expressway-shoulder/

So that's why there's asphalt torn up on the left two lanes on the Edens just south of Old Orchard. As many here are aware, this is a crucial piece of roadway connecting the Northern suburbs with Chicago. I think this is a good idea for those who could care less about driving but still have to travel that way, because the Edens essentially becomes a giant parking lot anywhere from 3 to 8 PM, mostly inbound towards the city. That line can stretch all the way to freaking Willow for crying out loud  :pan:

Pace Buses To Start Using Shoulders On I-94 Edens

CHICAGO (CBS) – A program allowing Pace buses to travel on the shoulders of expressways will expand once again.

Construction is underway on the Edens Expressway to make room for the addition of the "bus on shoulder"  program, according to a statement from the Illinois Department of Transportation.

Since buses started traveling on the shoulders of the Stevenson Expressway in 2011, Pace's on-time performance went up from 70 percent to 90 percent, IDOT said. Buses can use the inside shoulders of I-55 to move past traffic when speeds drop below 35 mph.

On I-94, route 626 and 620 buses, which connect the northeast suburbs to Chicago, will use the outside shoulders in both directions between Foster Avenue and Lake Cook Road, IDOT said.

The $7 million project will consist of resurfacing the outside shoulders and some travel lanes, adding new signage and changing rumble strips, according to IDOT. It will also affect nighttime traffic on I-94 until work is completed in the fall.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2017. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

http://www.idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/files/About-IDOT/News/Construction-Releases/2017/May/5.15.17%20Bus%20on%20Shoulder%20Edens%20Expressway.pdf

QuoteIDOT, Pace Expand Bus on Shoulder Success to the Edens

Program will maximize capacity, improve reliability and reduce carbon footprint

CHICAGO — The Illinois Department of Transportation) announced that construction will begin
this week on the Edens Expressway (Interstate 94) to support the expansion of the popular bus on
shoulder program. Nighttime traffic impacts will take place on the expressway until the project is
completed this fall.

"This minor modification to our infrastructure will have far-reaching benefits for commuters and
the environment,"  said Illinois Transportation Secretary Randy Blankenhorn. "Expanding the
success of this convenient, innovative program to the Edens provides travelers in the region one
more option to get to where they need to go, while reducing congestion and building more
reliability into their trips.."

The bus on shoulder program will allow existing Pace routes 626 and 620, which connect the
northeast suburbs and Chicago, to operate on the expressway's outside shoulders in both
directions between Foster Avenue and Lake Cook Road. The $7 million project consists of
resurfacing the outside shoulders, as well as some travel lanes, adding new signage and
modifying rumble strips.

Since the bus on shoulder program was implemented on the Stevenson Expressway (Interstate
55) in 2011, Pace's on-time performance increased from 70 percent to 90 percent along the
corridor. The program allows Pace buses to use the inside shoulders to bypass traffic when
speeds have dropped below 35 mph.

"We've seen unprecedented ridership growth along the I-55 corridor thanks to bus-on-shoulder
operations,"  said Pace Chairman Richard Kwasneski. "Since Pace launched its Bus on Shoulder
program in 2011, ridership in the corridor has grown by almost five times. When there's
congestion on the roadway, bus-on-shoulder service is faster and more reliable than driving.
Commuters see that and choose our service over their cars. We believe they will do the same in
the Lake-Cook region and are excited to partner with IDOT on this project."

A full Pace bus takes an estimated 50 vehicles off the road, easing congestion for the thousands
of vehicles that drive along the Edens each day and cutting down on harmful emissions. Pace
customers who utilize the service can make their trips even more productive by taking advantage
of free onboard wifi. Visit the Pace website to learn more about bus on shoulders. Beginning
Monday, May 15, weather permitting, nightly lane closures will take place in both directions
between Foster Avenue and Lake Cook Road. The expressway at times will be reduced to one
lane in each direction during the overnight hours. Expressway entrance and exit ramp closures
also may be required.

By the way, does this belong in Illinois notes or is a separate thread fine?

quickshade

They are starting this up on I90 this summer/fall. Honestly if it were on time i'd consider it whenever I had meetings downtown in the afternoon or mornings. But if I were to be downtown all day I still think i'd drive.

dmr37

I-57 and 290 Bus on Shoulder are in the planning stages

abefroman329

This is interesting because the only Pace route I'm aware of that uses the Edens is the 626.  I wonder if Pace is planning to add additional routes once construction is complete.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.