News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Roadgeek Memes

Started by cl94, December 05, 2017, 12:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 07, 2019, 07:34:59 PM
It is also really neat how, in the picture, the emoji looks like it fits perfectly inside the traffic signal right there - not to mention it is also the same color as the actual yellow light.

Whew, I wasn't going to get it without that brilliant explanation.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 07, 2019, 11:30:42 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 07, 2019, 07:34:59 PM
It is also really neat how, in the picture, the emoji looks like it fits perfectly inside the traffic signal right there - not to mention it is also the same color as the actual yellow light.

Whew, I wasn't going to get it without that brilliant explanation.

:eyebrow:

Well, I wasn't expecting people not to get it, so that's not why I said that.

I elaborated on it because I was going into detail about the specific reasons why I found the meme especially impressive.

I tend to do this often in my speech and writing - it's just how I speak sometimes. I could be standing there staring at a brown driveway, and randomly say something like "I love this exposed aggregate concrete" or "I love how this driveway facilitates transportation from the road to the house the way that it does." Yeah, I'm stating the obvious - it doesn't mean I think other people don't know it - I just tend to ramble on and state things everyone already knows, just because I get excited and say more than is really necessary. I apologize if you interpreted that the wrong way.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

MNHighwayMan

And most people find that the humor of a joke is sucked out of it when it gets explained (if there was any to begin with!)

adventurernumber1

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 08, 2019, 01:37:19 AM
And most people find that the humor of a joke is sucked out of it when it gets explained (if there was any to begin with!)

Well, I do highly value humor and comedy, so I will try my best next time to abstain from over-explaining a joke or a meme in the future. What you have to realize is that this is just the way I naturally operate many times, and also that my intention in that section of my post was not to "ruin the joke" but to get into some of the specific reasons why I loved the meme so much, since I was excited about it and rambling on, as I often do.

I am rather poor at social interaction and communication, and I do not operate like a normal person, so you must understand that my intentions are not malignant, but that I am just rather strange.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

formulanone

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 08, 2019, 01:37:19 AM

Some memes don't lend themselves to explaining the joke; either you know the underpinnings of the joke, or it's incomprehensible. It's my feeling that many memes aren't funny after the third or fourth time; it's the same punchline again and again. But some persist, and some are evergreen. Like slang or jargon, it's become a in-group language in and of itself.

Humor usually derives from distilling Emotion from the combination of the Absurd and the Well-Known, while assuming a little Ignorance to bridge the two. If the audience doesn't wish to apply the Ignorance, or hasn't experienced the Absurd, the joke is likely to fail. If there's a limited body of Well-Known experience to draw on, then nobody knows there's a joke in the first place. The idea of "the joke isn't funny if I explain it" is a failure to comprehend the audience. Yeah, there's a chance you'll still be the only one laughing after explaining it, but such is life...at least they're still listening and appreciating what you have to say. In the worst case scenario, you've removed some ignorance, which isn't really a bad thing.

I have no idea why I'm talking so much about this.

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

kphoger

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 08, 2019, 02:31:06 AM
I am just rather strange.

I would say Join the club, but, well, you're already a member of this forum.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kevinb1994

Quote from: hbelkins on January 10, 2019, 02:01:56 PM

Haha, that meme was a long time coming, especially from the current POTUS.

kphoger

Does that mean the White House will issue a formal public apology for not having declared it a national emergency already?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

To be honest, I first saw this for the Blue Route, but changed it to Breezewood, and posted it to Facebook with the notation that it might cause some liberal roadgeeks to start liking him more.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on January 10, 2019, 03:54:31 PM
cause some liberal roadgeeks to start liking him more

Just the photo won't do anything. If he actually proposed a fix, he'll probably gain a small but significant number of voters in Pennsylvania.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

formulanone

To be honest, I first saw this for the Blue Route, but changed it to Breezewood, and posted it to Facebook with the notation that it might cause some liberal roadgeeks to start liking him more.

...Then he'd throw away any goodwill by pardoning Bud Schuster. :D

A few dozen road geeks, a few hundred truckers, a few thousand Pennsylvanians would notice, but then pushed back by a few thousand locals who would like it to stay as it is. The rest of the country wouldn't care. No political net gain.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on January 10, 2019, 08:08:30 PM
pushed back by a few thousand locals who would like it to stay as it is.

Current population of Breezewood is less than 1500.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 11, 2019, 01:49:40 PM

... but it is somewhat of an employment center.
I can easily see a few thousand people wanting to keep it as-is.

hbelkins

Quote from: webny99 on January 11, 2019, 01:52:33 PM

It's not as big of an employment center as it once was. There's a bunch of closed businesses, abandoned buildings and a few vacant lots.

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on January 11, 2019, 04:19:43 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 11, 2019, 01:52:33 PM

It's not as big of an employment center as it once was. There's a bunch of closed businesses, abandoned buildings and a few vacant lots.

There have to be a few people in nearby towns / cities / hamlets / townships / whateverPENNpeopleCallit that would probably be annoyed by the headline of QUIET SMALL TOWN DESTROYED BY INTERSTATE or "Breezewood is getting an exit, here's what we know so far" (which isn't real journalism). They'll be roused to some sort of action. Push the right buttons, and someone's going to care.

And few that probably muttered "it's about time".

Roadgeekteen

Where do people actually live in Breezewood? I thought it was just a street with businesses.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Hot Rod Hootenanny

But lose the 'Lincoln Highway Association' vote.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 11, 2019, 04:37:23 PM

Where do people actually live in Breezewood? I thought it was just a street with businesses.

I'm not sure how Pennsylvania political/municipal subdivisions go, so I'm not sure what the official boundaries of Breezewood are, but there's a small residential area located just to the south of US 30 and west of South Breezewood Road. There are also some residences on US 30 east of the turnpike connector.

kphoger

A good friend of mine just posted this on Facebook.
My fellow Kansas will appreciate it.

Male pronouns, please.

Ian

I regret making this...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hbelkins

This is making the rounds in my part of the world:

Mr_Northside

Quote from: hbelkins on January 12, 2019, 03:03:44 PM
I'm not sure what the official boundaries of Breezewood are,

Since Breezewood isn't a municipality, it doesn't really have official boundaries. 
Without doing any searching, I don't even know if it has a post office or anything either.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

SSOWorld

Quote from: Mr_Northside on January 14, 2019, 03:25:35 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 12, 2019, 03:03:44 PM
I'm not sure what the official boundaries of Breezewood are,

Since Breezewood isn't a municipality, it doesn't really have official boundaries. 
Without doing any searching, I don't even know if it has a post office or anything either.
Probably under the freeway.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.