News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Anybody else getting furloughed?

Started by NWI_Irish96, September 30, 2023, 08:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Any other Federal employees out there who are getting furloughed at midnight?

Any that have to work without pay?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

One of the few benefits in working for an NF agency is avoiding furloughs.  Likely the prospective shut is going impact my upcoming vacation since it involved a couple nation parks. 

1995hoo

I find it somewhat interesting to notice what parts of the government will remain open (and employees paid) because they have other sources of funding aside from the annual appropriations process. The federal courts, for example, will remain fully open for at least two weeks because of revenue from various fees and from non-annual appropriations. I saw a report that said that for constitutional reasons they would continue to handle criminal matters even if funding lapses.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 30, 2023, 09:00:09 AM
One of the few benefits in working for an NF agency is avoiding furloughs.  Likely the prospective shut is going impact my upcoming vacation since it involved a couple nation parks.

Just out of idle curiosity, what is an NF agency? I've googled it, but all I've gotten are agencies with the name "NF."
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Max Rockatansky

"Non-appropriated Funding" or "NF/NAF Pay Band" is what I'm referencing.  My agency is revenue generating and doesn't take appropriations.   I'll be kind of curious to see how long this potentially lasts.  Our Public Works is planning a really inconveniently scheduled power outage and I suppose that I wouldn't mind seeing that can kicked down the road.

There are several appropriated essential services that require their staff to work even during a shut down.  Generally those positions get back pay once a shut down ends.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 30, 2023, 10:48:52 AM
"Non-appropriated Funding" or "NF/NAF Pay Band" is what I'm referencing.  My agency is revenue generating and doesn't take appropriations.   I'll be kind of curious to see how long this potentially lasts.  Our Public Works is planning a really inconveniently scheduled power outage and I suppose that I wouldn't mind seeing that can kicked down the road.

There are several appropriated essential services that require their staff to work even during a shut down.  Generally those positions get back pay once a shut down ends.

Thanks.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

1995hoo

One of the few benefits in working for an NF agency is avoiding furloughs.  Likely the prospective shut is going impact my upcoming vacation since it involved a couple nation parks

I told my mom she was lucky on timing because this week she's been on a tour in Arizona and Utah that went to multiple national parks, including the Grand Canyon and Zion; the tour ends tomorrow in Las Vegas and she gets home tomorrow night. One week later and the whole thing would have been scuppered.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 30, 2023, 11:05:56 AM
One of the few benefits in working for an NF agency is avoiding furloughs.  Likely the prospective shut is going impact my upcoming vacation since it involved a couple nation parks

I told my mom she was lucky on timing because this week she's been on a tour in Arizona and Utah that went to multiple national parks, including the Grand Canyon and Zion; the tour ends tomorrow in Las Vegas and she gets home tomorrow night. One week later and the whole thing would have been scuppered.

Not necessarily with Utah and Arizona:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/national-parks-stay-open-states-202110992.html

GaryV

We took a trip to the Blue Ridge quite a few years ago when a shutdown loomed (I don't remember if it started and was quickly ended, or if it was avoided.) I looked for alternative locations, and we found a few very nice state parks in the area, which we went to anyway.

My son is an engineer civilian employee of the Navy. When he was furloughed a few years ago, he got back pay when they passed the budget. Sort of like having an extra vacation, just paid after you got back.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: GaryV on September 30, 2023, 12:57:42 PM
We took a trip to the Blue Ridge quite a few years ago when a shutdown loomed (I don't remember if it started and was quickly ended, or if it was avoided.) I looked for alternative locations, and we found a few very nice state parks in the area, which we went to anyway.

My son is an engineer civilian employee of the Navy. When he was furloughed a few years ago, he got back pay when they passed the budget. Sort of like having an extra vacation, just paid after you got back.

Yes, ultimately we get paid for not working, but if the shutdown lasts beyond October 10, then we will only get 1/2 a paycheck on October 14, and if the shutdown lasts beyond October 24, then we will get no paycheck on October 28.

I don't know a lot of people who can make that work without difficulty.

Also, depending on how long a shutdown lasts, you don't get an unemployment rate, consumer price index, or other data for October. The markets will tank, the nation's credit rating might get downgraded and those are things that hurt almost everybody.

1995hoo

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 30, 2023, 08:26:33 AM

Guess you're not being furloughed!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 30, 2023, 09:10:18 PM

Unless the Executive Branch vetos for some reason (which I'm to understand likely won't be a thing).

NWI_Irish96

Not before November 14 anyway.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 30, 2023, 09:58:37 PM

Which amusingly would be a way more convenient time for a shut down for me (not that it ever truly is).  Even though I'm not directed via my paycheck our business takes a huge hit with every shut down.  At least now I can enjoy my vacation as planned next week and take advantage of my reservation for Carlsbad Caverns.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 30, 2023, 10:24:17 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 30, 2023, 09:58:37 PM

Which amusingly would be a way more convenient time for a shut down for me (not that it ever truly is).  Even though I'm not directed via my paycheck our business takes a huge hit with every shut down.  At least now I can enjoy my vacation as planned next week and take advantage of my reservation for Carlsbad Caverns.

Depending on how long the shutdown lasts, the November 14 date is worse for my agency (and probably many others) as our year-end bonus awards are processed in late November and paid out mid-December.

On the bright side, our family is taking a DC trip later this month and our scheduled Capitol Tour will now proceed.

NWI_Irish96

Well, we're back on the clock again. Friday is the deadline with little apparent hope of hitting it.

Max Rockatansky

I guess it's a good thing my wife wants me to go to a wedding instead of hiking on Saturday this time around.

JayhawkCO

The word furlough still gives me the heebie-jeebies from 2020 where I got furloughed twice (and why I am now in a different industry).

Rothman

We had what I'd call a "soft furlough" some years back, where we were forced to take a handful of unpaid days off, but then we got compensated later on when the gravy days returned.

That was bad enough to go through the reduced paychecks, let alone a real furlough.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

NWI_Irish96

Got a second reprieve. The can has been kicked into the new year.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.