News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most terrible speed limits.

Started by Roadgeekteen, June 01, 2017, 11:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 12, 2017, 08:10:35 PM
Why is almost every surface street in Duluth, MN 35 MPH?   I was just there on a recent vacation and it was one of the most obnoxious things ever to drive on when 45-50 was more reasonable.

Sounds a lot like Spokane, Washington.

Also, I'm surprised no one's mentioned any of the small towns and ghost towns in Nevada that have absurdly long 25 zones.  Just drove US-95 from Fallon to Las Vegas the other day, and a few of those really seemed torturous--the east end of Tonopah, in particular.  The 45 through Indian Springs also deserves a mention.

Also, the remnants of Oregon's Nixon (Kitzhaber) belong on the list (though the legislature and Gov. Brown finally forced his leftover ODiOTs into fixing some spots), as well as pretty much any city that's gung ho on the Vi$ion Zero bandwagon.

doorknob60

Quote from: Tarkus on September 25, 2017, 04:16:14 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 12, 2017, 08:10:35 PM
Why is almost every surface street in Duluth, MN 35 MPH?   I was just there on a recent vacation and it was one of the most obnoxious things ever to drive on when 45-50 was more reasonable.

Sounds a lot like Spokane, Washington.

Also, I'm surprised no one's mentioned any of the small towns and ghost towns in Nevada that have absurdly long 25 zones.  Just drove US-95 from Fallon to Las Vegas the other day, and a few of those really seemed torturous--the east end of Tonopah, in particular.  The 45 through Indian Springs also deserves a mention.

Also, the remnants of Oregon's Nixon (Kitzhaber) belong on the list (though the legislature and Gov. Brown finally forced his leftover ODiOTs into fixing some spots), as well as pretty much any city that's gung ho on the Vi$ion Zero bandwagon.

Reminded me of the long 45 zone in Hiko, NV on NV-318. 55 or 60 would have been just fine. But I can't rag on Nevada too much, with their widespread 70 MPH zones on 2 laners, 75 (do they post 80 now?) on interstates, and a decent 65 on urban freeways. I'll take awkwardly long or slow speed zones in small towns and 70 MPH in between over more reasonable in town limits and 55 in between.

Oh, and speaking of Oregon, US-97 through Bend, what the hell. Just post it at 55 already, nobody goes 45 (I would know, I lived there for 6+ years).

thenetwork

ANYWHERE where a school zone drops more than 20 MPH off the regular speed limit.  Going from 55 to 20 is a bit harsh.

And while we are at it, any school zones that are not near the actual school.  There are a few in my town where the school zone is on a main street where the school property line does NOT even border said street.  Most people pick up their kids nowadays if they are not bused, so a school zone on a street where no school is just for the handful of kids that might walk along the sidewalks there is overkill and more of a ticket profit zone. 

vdeane

Maybe that's why people want I-11 to go to Reno even though it would pass through the middle of nowhere.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadfro

No real "ghost towns" on US 95 though, but plenty of small towns. Having done this drive multiple times, I get more annoyed by the speed limit inconsistencies when going through small towns. IIRC, many of the more northern towns along US 95 have 35mph speed limits (Hawthorne?) even when the road is only two lanes through town (Schurz, Luning, Mina). However, towns in the south have 25 mph speed limits, even if the road is four lanes through town (Tonopah, Beatty). I don't know if it's a population thing, or if it's a district (NDOT D2 in the north, D1 in the south).

Also, that 45 with Indian Springs is somewhat justifiable to bring down speed for pedestrians that may cross the divided highway in town. But ever since Creech AFB moved their main gate, that 45 stretch south of the built up town area down past the AFB gate has gotten super annoying.

Quote from: thenetwork on September 25, 2017, 07:21:02 PM
ANYWHERE where a school zone drops more than 20 MPH off the regular speed limit.  Going from 55 to 20 is a bit harsh.

And while we are at it, any school zones that are not near the actual school.  There are a few in my town where the school zone is on a main street where the school property line does NOT even border said street.  Most people pick up their kids nowadays if they are not bused, so a school zone on a street where no school is just for the handful of kids that might walk along the sidewalks there is overkill and more of a ticket profit zone. 

Nevada law differentiates "School Zone" adjacent to the school as a 15mph zone, versus a "School Crossing Zone" not adjacent to a school and along crossing areas as 25mph zones.

The Las Vegas area has really gone to using "when flashing" beacons where feasible, instead of using posted times. Especially along arterial roads next to high schools and some middle schools, the beacons are turned off when students are in class. Some high schools, school zones adjacent to campus just use "when children are present". Many Vegas-area school crossing zones are also moving to "when children are present" instead of using specific times.

What really bugs me is many Reno-area school crossing zones are posted as 15mph, even though they are not adjacent to the school and should be marked as 25mph.

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vdeane

That 25 zone for the Mid-Hudson Bridge.  Trying to drive the speed limit there is PAINFUL (and you can take my word for it that the cruise control of a NYSDOT-owned Ford Focus compact sedan does NOT work at 25!) and makes you liable to get run over.  I can make this one of many, many reasons I am glad that I don't live in Poughkeepsie.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

This bridge, which carries WI 96 over the Fox River in Wrightstown, WI, is 0.39 miles long and has one crosswalk along it, yet the speed limit is only 25 mph.  EVERYONE speeds, and even 30 feels like a crawl.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

wxfree

I just thought of a sub-category that fits here: places where higher and lower speed limits are reversed from what seems to be appropriate.  FM 917 near Mansfield, Texas has two examples.  The road generally has a speed limit of 60 with curves, narrow shoulders, and frequent intersecting roads and drives.  One stretch around Lillian has wide shoulders, gentle curvature, and a left turn lane and has almost no development, and the speed limit is reduced to 50 over that stretch.  (There is a highway intersection, but another highway intersection nearby is much more hazardous with narrow shoulders and a curve adjacent and is located where the limit is 60.)  At the edge of Mansfield, the road has four-lanes and is divided, and only one road and two drives intersect over that 1.4 mile stretch, and the speed limit is reduced to 55.  It isn't uncommon to see drivers speed up upon reaching that section.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Let's play a little game here: what would you guess the speed limit is on this 4-lane boulevard in Kaukauna, WI?

jakeroot

Quote from: 20160805 on November 13, 2017, 05:49:30 PM
Let's play a little game here: what would you guess the speed limit is on this 4-lane boulevard in Kaukauna, WI?

I'd want it to be 45, but in my area, it would probably be 35 or 40 (although very few roads 'round here have medians, so maybe 45).

Roadgeekteen

40-45, maybe 50.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

25 :)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 13, 2017, 09:30:41 PM

Good god. Kaukauna that poor?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 13, 2017, 09:33:53 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 13, 2017, 09:30:41 PM

Good god. Kaukauna that poor?

I just know Wisconsin a bit too well.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jakeroot

Nice. Seems like the definition of a speed trap. Big road with median in any other country might qualify as dual carriageway. The default speed limit for that road in the UK would be 70!

Although, looking around, it looks like the median is short-lived. So it might not qualify as a dual carriageway.

US 89

I would hope it’s 45 (or maybe even 50), as that seems to be the general speed of traffic on that type of road. Unfortunately, most cities usually post these at 40 or 35, and some especially revenue-hungry cities might post it at 30.

Edit: holy crap, it’s 25. There’s a sign if you turn around on the GSV. I guarantee that there is virtually 0% compliance.

JasonOfORoads

I-5 between Wilsonville and Keizer and between Albany and Coburg need to be 75.

I-5 north of the Terwilliger Curves should be 55 until just past Exit 302B and 65 north of there to the Interstate Bridges.

I-405 should be 60.

I-205 needs to be 65 through West Linn, taking away the speed trap they've had for years when the speed drops from 65 to 55 just outside town. The Abernethy Bridge will be at 55 for safety due to the merges, but if it ever got rebuilt it would likely be to a higher speed standard. 65 from Oregon City to the Glenn Jackson Bridge.

Inbound on the Sunset (east on US-26 west of Portland) should probably stay 50 east of Sylvan, since it goes through a canyon with poor line-of-sight, sharp curves and a tunnel. Outbound, however, is uphill, so it could probably be 55; also, the westbound lanes aren't as close to the canyon due to a slight realignment around 1970. However, since they fixed the merge at OR-217 and Cedar Hills, there is absolutely no reason the Sunset west of Sylvan can't be 65, especially now that it's going to be 3 lanes out to Cornelius Pass Road.

OR-217 could be 60 most of the way.

I-84 from I-205 to Troutdale was raised to 60 MPH a few years ago. There's no reason it can't be 65.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

MNHighwayMan

A big one locally is University Ave in Windsor Heights. It's a four lane road posted at 25, and it's 100 percent a revenue thing. The city even installed controversial speed cameras on it recently.

Quote from: roadguy2 on November 16, 2017, 12:35:03 AM

I would hope it's 45 (or maybe even 50), as that seems to be the general speed of traffic on that type of road. Unfortunately, most cities usually post these at 40 or 35, and some especially revenue-hungry cities might post it at 30.

Edit: holy crap, it's 25. There's a sign if you turn around on the GSV. I guarantee that there is virtually 0% compliance.

That would be correct.  Even 32 (still well above the speed limit) feels extremely slow, and that's why I try to avoid that section of road altogether.  I personally would make it 45 also; as it stands, this seems to be nothing more than a money grab, and a pretty pathetic one at that.

mrsman

Quote from: 20160805 on November 16, 2017, 06:51:50 AM

I would hope it's 45 (or maybe even 50), as that seems to be the general speed of traffic on that type of road. Unfortunately, most cities usually post these at 40 or 35, and some especially revenue-hungry cities might post it at 30.

Edit: holy crap, it's 25. There's a sign if you turn around on the GSV. I guarantee that there is virtually 0% compliance.

That would be correct.  Even 32 (still well above the speed limit) feels extremely slow, and that's why I try to avoid that section of road altogether.  I personally would make it 45 also; as it stands, this seems to be nothing more than a money grab, and a pretty pathetic one at that.

Are there any objective standards that must apply when deciding the appropriate speed for a road?  Small towns should have no right to set the speed at whatever they want in order to make money off tickets.  Objective standards like width of lanes, hills, curves, and the concentration of businesses, homes, etc. should be the only critical factors.

In my view, any road with driving lanes that are narrower than 10 feet should be 25.  Single lanes (in each direction) should be minimum 30 and two or more lanes should be minimum 35.  If the use of the street, as is here, is more auto-oriented (gas stations, strip malls) than pedestrian oriented (homes or offices), then that would merit an additional 5 mph.  So this street should be 40, not 25.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 20160805 on November 16, 2017, 06:51:50 AM

Most streets in my area have speed limits higher then that, even 2 lane roads in densely populated areas.

SD Mapman

This is just mean: https://www.facebook.com/spearfishpd/posts/721018901425755

As a lifelong Spearfish resident, nobody goes 25 on this stretch.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Roadgeekteen

SectorZ

Quote from: SD Mapman on November 17, 2017, 02:57:10 PM
This is just mean: https://www.facebook.com/spearfishpd/posts/721018901425755

As a lifelong Spearfish resident, nobody goes 25 on this stretch.

The people making excuses for the existence of it is so sad and tired.

jakeroot

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.