News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-49 Coming to Missouri

Started by US71, August 04, 2010, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

You just got to love progress! At least Missouri is in full "build now" mode when it comes to I-49. However, I feel that the southern extension to New Orleans should be a reroute of I-10 and most of the current I-10 from Baton Rouge to Lafayette should become an extension of I-12, but that's another story.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Mike D boy on January 23, 2012, 12:49:05 AM
I-49 currently is in Louisiana from I-10 to the south near Lafayette to the I-20 in Shreveport/Bossier city, but I'm sure the I-49 moniker extends up to Texarkana and proposal to make I-49 cross the Arkansas Ouachitas to connect with I-40 in Fort Smith or Fort Chaffee, Ark., but the I-540 crosses the Fayetteville-Rogers-Springdale area of Northwest Arkansas and the Missouri Ozarks to meet near Joplin connecting with I-44 and old route 66 in Baxter Springs, Ks. and Miami, Ok. Time to rename I-540 to I-49, but a Kansas City-Joplin interstate is a no brainer: Joplin is rebuilding from last year's F-5 tornado and I'm sure Wal-Mart in Bentonville, Ark. supports this interstate highway plan.

Sorry, but other than the Missouri segment from I-44 to I-435, I-49 won't be going anywhere past I-20 in Shreveport until they finish I-49 from Texarkana to I-220 (or even to I-20 via the ICC), and until they complete the Texarkana-Fort Smith segments. Or, when the BVB is completed, then they can replace I-540 shields with I-49 from Fort Smith northward.

Anthony

US71

Signs going up!

I'll be heading to Springfield in a couple weeks, so I'll try to get a progress report along the way.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on February 01, 2012, 11:34:03 AM
Signs going up!
I'll be heading to Springfield in a couple weeks, so I'll try to get a progress report along the way.
I hope you can find some of the ones turned away from view so you can hike around & get some great pics!  :thumbsup:

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on February 01, 2012, 11:34:03 AM
Signs going up!
After yesterday's announcement, I became curious about MoDOT's long-term plans for the MO 249/ MO 171 corridor and how it relates to I-49.
I called the Southwest District Office, eventually spoke with one of the engineers, and had a great conversation.  First, MoDOT is probably looking at a ten-year horizon before a location study would be initiated.  The current thinking is that three primary options for the eventual I-49 routing exist for the location study:

1. Keep the I-44/I-49 overlap; however, this would necessitate an upgrade for the eastern I-44/I-49 interchange from a cloverleaf to a directional interchange.

2. Use the MO 249/ MO 171 corridor and upgrade the current MO 171/MO 249 corridor by finding a way to remove the presence of traffic signals at interchange ramps at US 71/MO 171/MO 96 near Carthage, as well as upgrade the MO 171/ I-49 interchange.

3. Build a new terrain connection that would basically be a "straight line" from the 171 "bend" west of the Hwy 96 interchange to the "90 degree bend" north of Carthage.

Other options could manifest themselves during the course of the study.  Again, this all is on a loooooong term horizon.

Finally, the engineer confirmed MoDOT's commitment to building the Bella Vista Bypass once Arkansas starts making some good progress.

US71

The 44/49/Mo 59 Interchange is antiquated. Bridgehunter shows it was built circa 1960, renovated 2003.

Ideally, the whole thing needs to be rebuilt, but at the bare minimum, it needs a flyover from EB 44 to NB 49 and SB 49 to EB 44. Yet, I don't see it happening anytime soon. It almost looks like MoDOT has misplaced some of their priorities: they pushed hard for I-49, yet neglected to account for existing interchanges.

InterstateNG

Has the rationale for why 49 was chosen for this corridor instead of 29 ever been explained?
I demand an apology.

Grzrd

Quote from: InterstateNG on February 03, 2012, 08:57:11 AM
Has the rationale for why 49 was chosen for this corridor instead of 29 ever been explained?

FWIW, here's the MoDOT rationale from the MoDOT Southwest District "Converting Route 71 to I-49" page:

Why is I-49 being used as the designation instead of I-29 or I-35?
Congress designated the I-49 corridor from Kansas City to Shreveport, La., in federal transportation legislation. The corridor will connect to the existing I-49 between Shreveport and Lafayette in Louisiana.
Plus, I-49 fits within the interstate naming conventions of north/south interstates utilizing odd numbers, with the assigned numbers growing higher as they move from west to east.
In Missouri, I-49 falls between existing I-35 in Kansas and Oklahoma and I-55 in eastern Missouri and Illinois.

EDIT

I have seen legislation designating the Kansas City-Shreveport corridor as High Priority Corridor 1 ("HPC 1"), but I have not seen any legislation mandating that HPC 1 be signed as "I-49".  Does any such legislation exist?

US71

Quote from: InterstateNG on February 03, 2012, 08:57:11 AM

It's been explained as an extension of I-49 in Louisiana.

I'm sure when it was originally built, no one gave much thought to it continuing north of Shreveport. I doubt MoDOT ever considered extending I-29 south, either. And when AHTD built the 540 extension, there was no consideration of it eventually becoming I-49 as it originally ended on the north side of Fayetteville (and it was originally planned to be a new US 71)

The 71 corridor between I-44 and Kansas City has been posted for many years as a "future" Limited Access roadway. Somewhere along the way, MoDOT may have decided that making 71 a full-fledged Interstate would expedite upgrading it.

Now if one wants a simple answer, maybe that would be politics?

InterstateNG

Quote from: US71 on June 03, 1970, 01:40:16 PM

The 71 corridor between I-44 and Kansas City has been posted for many years as a "future" Limited Access roadway. Somewhere along the way, MoDOT may have decided that making 71 a full-fledged Interstate would expedite upgrading it.

Certainly seems to be a decision based on what fits the grid.

That aside, I guess my next question would be when the decision was made to apply an interstate designation to 71, either before or after the decision to extend 49.  It would seem to me, without getting too fictional, to extend 29 down to Ft Smith since it already exists in Missouri and 49 north of Texarkana is a long way from completion.
I demand an apology.

US71

Quote from: InterstateNG on February 03, 2012, 10:28:36 AM
Quote from: US71 on June 03, 1970, 01:40:16 PM

Certainly seems to be a decision based on what fits the grid.

That aside, I guess my next question would be when the decision was made to apply an interstate designation to 71, either before or after the decision to extend 49.  It would seem to me, without getting too fictional, to extend 29 down to Ft Smith since it already exists in Missouri and 49 north of Texarkana is a long way from completion.

My guess is AFTER the decision to extend I-49.  49 was designated as a High Priority Corridor from Shreveport to Kansas City in 1991 and 71 just happens to be in that corridor. ;)

ShawnP

I also am positive that enough folks will realize the folly of those lights. Like I said before when I lived in KC. I avoided those lights and that stretch at all costs.

bugo

Quote from: ShawnP on February 03, 2012, 12:00:54 PM
I also am positive that enough folks will realize the folly of those lights. Like I said before when I lived in KC. I avoided those lights and that stretch at all costs.

When I lived at 71 and Bannister, I would take Prospect to work when I had to be at work at 8 because it was actually quicker than 71.  Those lights are an abomination.  One day they will be gone.  The court settlement will be overturned.  The demographics of neighborhoods change.

Grzrd

Quote from: bugo on February 03, 2012, 12:20:48 PM
I also am positive that enough folks will realize the folly of those lights.
Those lights are an abomination.

Speaking of the stoplights, this video report includes the question "Where Will I-49 End?" in its title and seems to address the Bruce R. Watkins Drive stoplights in its opening:

Within the year, Highway 71 will become Interstate 49, but the interstate project will stop before hitting the stoplights on the way to downtown Kansas City ....

However, the report does not directly mention Bruce R. Watkins Drive.

The article accompanying the video report provides this link to a live webcam at "I-49 and 307th Street".

Gordon

MoDot has some new info about I 49 signs starting to put up but will be covered for now. Also there is a news release on the work in Cass  County on 71 Hwy. They have a webcam for view of the the work at 307 th.  http://www.modot.org/kansascity/newrelease/District4News.shtml

ShawnP

I went 71 north to I-435 then up Blue Parkway.

M86

Quote from: Gordon on February 03, 2012, 01:56:41 PM
MoDot has some new info about I 49 signs starting to put up but will be covered for now. Also there is a news release on the work in Cass  County on 71 Hwy. They have a webcam for view of the the work at 307 th.  http://www.modot.org/kansascity/newrelease/District4News.shtml

I saw the MoDOT press release about the I-49 signage.  Kudos to them, definitely.  And the SW MO district engineer verifying that they can construct their part of I-49 south of Pineville (Bella Vista Bypass) gives me more hope.  I just wish AHTD would figure out what exactly they are doing wrong, and get their act together.  Something is seriously flawed. 

J N Winkler

Quote from: Grzrd on February 03, 2012, 12:59:22 PMSpeaking of the stoplights, this video report includes the question "Where Will I-49 End?" in its title and seems to address the Bruce R. Watkins Drive stoplights in its opening:

QuoteWithin the year, Highway 71 will become Interstate 49, but the interstate project will stop before hitting the stoplights on the way to downtown Kansas City ....

I-49 will end at I-435:  this is clear from the plans for the signing contract that is currently under construction.  The old South Midtown Freeway (whose continuation northward to the downtown freeway loop is Bruce R. Watkins Drive) will also remain just US 71.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

US71

Quote from: M86 on February 04, 2012, 04:51:53 AM
Quote from: Gordon on February 03, 2012, 01:56:41 PM
MoDot has some new info about I 49 signs starting to put up but will be covered for now. Also there is a news release on the work in Cass  County on 71 Hwy. They have a webcam for view of the the work at 307 th.  http://www.modot.org/kansascity/newrelease/District4News.shtml

I saw the MoDOT press release about the I-49 signage.  Kudos to them, definitely.  And the SW MO district engineer verifying that they can construct their part of I-49 south of Pineville (Bella Vista Bypass) gives me more hope.  I just wish AHTD would figure out what exactly they are doing wrong, and get their act together.  Something is seriously flawed.  

AHTD is flawed. In simple terms, they are reactive instead of proactive. They fix problems after they happen instead of before.  The Fayetteville Bypass is a good example, but a story for another time.

bugo

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 04, 2012, 08:07:47 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on February 03, 2012, 12:59:22 PMSpeaking of the stoplights, this video report includes the question "Where Will I-49 End?" in its title and seems to address the Bruce R. Watkins Drive stoplights in its opening:

QuoteWithin the year, Highway 71 will become Interstate 49, but the interstate project will stop before hitting the stoplights on the way to downtown Kansas City ....

I-49 will end at I-435:  this is clear from the plans for the signing contract that is currently under construction.  The old South Midtown Freeway (whose continuation northward to the downtown freeway loop is Bruce R. Watkins Drive) will also remain just US 71.

South Midtown Freeway?  What is that?  Where did you hear that name?

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: bugo on February 03, 2012, 12:20:48 PM

When I lived at 71 and Bannister, I would take Prospect to work when I had to be at work at 8 because it was actually quicker than 71.  Those lights are an abomination.  One day they will be gone.  The court settlement will be overturned.  The demographics of neighborhoods change.
Court decisions that allow a portion of a highway project to be built while keeping restrictions on its design take years to be overturned. Can anyone cite a similar situation where something similar to the originally proposed highway has been built, overturning a court decision?

Watkins Drive (U.S. 71) in Kansas City will become a full freeway that can receive an interstate designation about the time I-35E in St. Paul loses its 45 mph speed limit and truck restrictions.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

J N Winkler

Quote from: bugo on February 04, 2012, 11:04:13 PMSouth Midtown Freeway?  What is that?  Where did you hear that name?

The South Midtown Freeway is the name for the freeway relocation of US 71 along a line which is essentially a southward extension of the east leg of the downtown freeway loop.  The 1951 expressway plan called for it to be built from downtown to Swope Parkway; I-435 was not planned at this point.  Later plans called for full freeway standard all the way from downtown to I-435 and beyond.  The only part of this freeway that was actually built, before the court decision that made Bruce R. Watkins Drive possible, was a short length from I-435 northward to 75th Street which was labelled as "South Midtown Freeway" on Kansas City street maps for decades.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Grzrd

This article discusses near-term improvements to the I-49 corridor that are scheduled to occur after signage goes up:

Future plans are also under way to improve the 155th Street interchange in Belton. That project, along with a proposed new interchange at 211th Street in Peculiar, has yet to be funded.
Harrisonville is also working with the state and county to study a proposed interchange at Rock Haven Road. Meanwhile, design has begun on a reconfiguration project at the M-291 Highway interchange in Harrisonville, which will be funded in part by a transportation development district. The M-291 project will begin in the next year.

ShawnP

Sad to say a horrific accident aka a T-Bone of a school bus at the Gregory light will change things. That light is set up that bad and it's only a matter of time. One person in KC holds the power to change things and he is a Congressman who could get it done with a stroke of a pen. EC controls all the neighborhoods in that area and would be able to by sheer will turn them around. As I have said before I am positive those lights will go away. Too many accidents and too much death at those lights.

bugo

If somebody sues the state because of an accident at these lights and wins, does that court ruling trump the previous court ruling?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.