News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Hello from Kansas!

Started by cappicard, October 03, 2015, 07:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cappicard

Good evening.

Thanks for letting me in.

I live near the rat's nest that we call the Johnson County Gateway.  It's sheer hell currently. But badly needed. I swear that I-435 is K-DOT's personal play toy. They've been jacking with that interstate pretty much since it was first built!

Kansas has plenty of oddities, especially those of the highway nature.  I grew up way out in western Kansas, not quite the middle of nowhere. For me, the middle of nowhere is anything west of central Kansas.

I'm such a geek when it comes to maps and highways. I used to draw map of the United States freehand on the chalkboard in the third grade during recess, and without looking at a textbook. I can still do that (an useless skill perhaps. :D ).

hotdogPi

Welcome from Massachusetts!
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SignGeek101

Welcome from autumnal Winnipeg!

noelbotevera

Quote from: cappicard on October 03, 2015, 07:37:45 PM
Good evening.

Thanks for letting me in.

I live near the rat's nest that we call the Johnson County Gateway.  It's sheer hell currently. But badly needed. I swear that I-435 is K-DOT's personal play toy. They've been jacking with that interstate pretty much since it was first built!

Kansas has plenty of oddities, especially those of the highway nature.  I grew up way out in western Kansas, not quite the middle of nowhere. For me, the middle of nowhere is anything west of central Kansas.

I'm such a geek when it comes to maps and highways. I used to draw map of the United States freehand on the chalkboard in the third grade during recess, and without looking at a textbook. I can still do that (an useless skill perhaps. :D ).
Kansas eh? Hey, maybe you'll probably find a hurricane to the gateway of Oz.

roadman65

Welcome from here in Central Florida!

I have a friend in Wichita, who I am meeting there and then on to Vandalia, IL for a retreat later this month.  Will be in your neck of the woods on the way there and back.  Looking forward to seeing the northern end of I-49 as I only got some Newton and Jasper County photos so far of the new designation.

Anyway, Welcome. :clap:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 03, 2015, 08:25:54 PM
Kansas eh? Hey, maybe you'll probably find a hurricanetornado to the gateway of Oz.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

TravelingBethelite

Greetings from the eagle's nest of roads in southeast Connecticut. It always seemed ridiculous how flat Western Kansas is, and is it as boring as people say it is?
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cappicard

Quote from: kphoger on October 03, 2015, 09:02:21 PM
Welcome from Kansas!
Thanks! I've been to Wichita a few times.  Grew up in Great Bend.  :)

cappicard

Quote from: roadman65 on October 03, 2015, 08:39:53 PM
Welcome from here in Central Florida!

I have a friend in Wichita, who I am meeting there and then on to Vandalia, IL for a retreat later this month.  Will be in your neck of the woods on the way there and back.  Looking forward to seeing the northern end of I-49 as I only got some Newton and Jasper County photos so far of the new designation.

Anyway, Welcome. :clap:
Thanks. I-49, eh? Yeah, MoDOT has its current terminus smack in the middle of the Grandview Triangle (officially Three Trails Crossing Highway). Abit inconspicuous.  The Triangle has done a complete 180 from before the rebuild. It's quite nice to maneuver through now. If only I-49 was built all the way to downtown. But, those three at-grade intersections along 71 Highway probably won't be rebuilt any time soon. They are in a rough part of KCMO.

I've driven the entire northern 2 segments of I-49 on my way to a wedding in Eureka Spring, Arkansas.   There's still that 7 mile gap before and after Belle Vista. 

US 62 was the most windy highway I've driven yet between Bentonville and Eureka Springs. Reminds me of Pikes Peaks Highway.

FLRoads

cappicard

freebrickproductions

Welcome from the Tennessee Valley!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

ModernDayWarrior

Welcome from southeast Missouri!

cappicard

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on October 03, 2015, 08:55:04 PM
Greetings from the eagle's nest of roads in southeast Connecticut. It always seemed ridiculous how flat Western Kansas is, and is it as boring as people say it is?
Lol!

Kansas is anything but flat.  The Flint Hills are a sight to behold. K-177 has some beautiful scenery through there. 

I-70 has some hidden gems.  There's a M-65 atomic cannon (least the part with the barrel) perched on top of a hill near Fort Riley near Exit 301. :)

Plenty of places to visit in our state.  The State Capitol has Stuart Curry's murals on the second floor. Fort Riley, Fort Leavenworth. 

If you are into Civil War or shortly thereafter, there's Fort Larned in Western Kansas. 

Of course, there's Fort Dodge. But, I think it's not very exciting. Lol

Many towns have underground tunnels (e.g. Ellinwood).

And loads of great fishing and lakes.  :)

iPhone

cappicard

And this tank in Great Bend, and many steam locomotives. :)

iPhone

jbnati27

Welcome from the Queen City of Ohio!

kkt

route17fan

Greetings from Columbus Ohio.  :clap:
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Darkchylde

Welcome, from just on the other side of the state line.

cappicard

Quote from: Darkchylde on October 28, 2015, 08:50:36 PM
Welcome, from just on the other side of the state line.
Hello, neighbor! :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.