News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theroadwayone

Quote from: ekt8750 on October 14, 2017, 03:18:54 PM
Quote from: Alps on October 14, 2017, 12:15:52 AM
Quote from: theroadwayone on October 13, 2017, 11:10:36 PM
GMSV went through I-95 at the interchange construction site around this time last year, and here is what it looked like. One can only wonder what it looks like now, being this much closer to completion.

The same. :-D

Nah I was through there about a month ago and they were deep into the construction of the flyover ramps. Beams for the decking were being put into place.
Pictures?

briantroutman

Quote from: theroadwayone on October 14, 2017, 03:21:38 PM
Pictures?

Getting pictures would be tricky for a solo driver because traffic is being channelized narrowly through the work area without any decent opportunities to pull over and take a picture.

I drove through there this morning, and not being able to take any photos, I made a quick sketch showing what's done at this point. I honestly hadn't paid much attention to the details of this project, so I wasn't that familiar with the interchange configuration, and some of the details were a surprise to me. From north to south, the I-95 lanes (in the center) make a long, slow ascent (with retaining walls on either side), then swing to the right, then curve left to cross over the Turnpike.

Everything from the ascent to the point where the I-95 lanes cross the Turnpike is complete except for surfacing–all of the earthwork is done, retaining walls are installed, and support structures and decking are in place. New overhead guide sign assemblies have been installed but are covered with black plastic.

From the point at which the flyover crosses the Turnpike southward, support structures are in place, but decking is not there yet. I couldn't see the southernmost end of the project, so I'm not sure what other work may already be done at the southern end.

theroadwayone

And this, correct me if I'm wrong, is going to be open to traffic around this time next year.

briantroutman

What I sketched in red above is the project's Stage 1–i.e. the north-to-east and west-to-south movements that together will make the new through traffic pattern for I-95. The completion of Stage 1 had been advertised as "late 2018"  for quite some time, but I noticed that the PTC's project site now says 2019.

Stage 2 will include the other interchange movements (east-to-north, south-to-west) as well as some related road widening and bridge replacements. Earlier reports estimated 2020 for completion of Stage 2, but the project site indicates that funding hasn't been secured and currently doesn't give an estimated time frame.

Stage 3 will involve the construction of a parallel Delaware River bridge, and the project site estimates that construction won't begin until at least 2025.

jeffandnicole

While 2019 could be the entire completion of Stage 1, it certainly is a bit of concern that 2 relatively simple ramps are taking something like 6 years to complete.

theroadwayone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 15, 2017, 05:25:34 PM
While 2019 could be the entire completion of Stage 1, it certainly is a bit of concern that 2 relatively simple ramps are taking something like 6 years to complete.
Those things should have been open for at least a year, maybe two or three, now. Hell, there should be at least half the project done.

SignBridge

Yeah really, NJTA would have done those two ramps in about one year. LOL

briantroutman

I wonder whether the project needs to take as long as it is, but at the same time, characterizing it as "two simple ramps"  isn't particularly accurate.

First of all, the "simple ramps"  themselves amount to a separate four-lane carriageway constructed within the center of the existing E-W Turnpike. That carriageway makes a long ascent on fill, continues as an independent elevated roadway, swings north of of the Turnpike mainline, then south, then divides and braids (as near as I can tell from drawings) with newly divided carriageways of the existing I-95 mainline.

Additionally, Stage 1 also includes, I believe, demolition of the former Neshaminy service plazas, construction of a new eastern toll barrier with express E-ZPass lanes, a partial reconstruction of the existing Bristol interchange, and the complete replacement of seven bridges–not to mention a complete soil-up reconstruction of both the Turnpike and I-95 through the interchange area.

Now should that take six years? I don't know–perhaps not. But my knowledge of highway construction and the particulars of this specific project aren't advanced enough for me to make a determination either way.

SignBridge

Anyone can see that this job moved along very slowly. If you watched the widening of the NJ Turnpike a few years back, that was a bigger project, but it moved at a much faster pace. I've said before that I think the PTC has dragged out this project because they don't want to be doing it in the first place.

Roadsguy

The PTC drags out every project. They should've started on the widening to Downingtown by now, but instead they haven't even started the widening to Great Valley.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: briantroutman on October 15, 2017, 08:24:29 PM
...Stage 1 also includes, I believe, demolition of the former Neshaminy service plazas, construction of a new eastern toll barrier with express E-ZPass lanes, a partial reconstruction of the existing Bristol interchange, and the complete replacement of seven bridges–not to mention a complete soil-up reconstruction of both the Turnpike and I-95 through the interchange area.

Being that those other parts are in completely separate areas of the turnpike, the projects could be worked on simultaneously.

theroadwayone

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 15, 2017, 08:53:46 PM
The PTC drags out every project. They should've started on the widening to Downingtown by now, but instead they haven't even started the widening to Great Valley.
I swear that I could have gotten all that done and more by now if I just did it myself.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: briantroutman on October 15, 2017, 08:24:29 PM
I wonder whether the project needs to take as long as it is, but at the same time, characterizing it as "two simple ramps"  isn't particularly accurate.

First of all, the "simple ramps"  themselves amount to a separate four-lane carriageway constructed within the center of the existing E-W Turnpike. That carriageway makes a long ascent on fill, continues as an independent elevated roadway, swings north of of the Turnpike mainline, then south, then divides and braids (as near as I can tell from drawings) with newly divided carriageways of the existing I-95 mainline.

Additionally, Stage 1 also includes, I believe, demolition of the former Neshaminy service plazas, construction of a new eastern toll barrier with express E-ZPass lanes, a partial reconstruction of the existing Bristol interchange, and the complete replacement of seven bridges–not to mention a complete soil-up reconstruction of both the Turnpike and I-95 through the interchange area.

Now should that take six years? I don't know–perhaps not. But my knowledge of highway construction and the particulars of this specific project aren't advanced enough for me to make a determination either way.

I have mentioned this before, but I think it is important to mention that Maryland designed and built most of MD-200 (just over 16 miles of 6 lane freeway-class road (including 5½ interchanges plus total reconstruction of another one plus two maintenance facilities) starting in 2007 and ending in 2011. 

There was another short section of MD-200 that was opened about three years later, which also included widening a several mile long section of I-95 (that was delayed because of a legal dispute).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jemacedo9

It does seem like it's taking a long time...I think there are several issues: one is that this is relatively complex...moving existing lanes to the outside in order to build new braided flyovers inside, under traffic, seems complex. More complex than the NJTP widening to the outside, or building freeway over new terrain.

But my guess is that the biggest issue is overall cash outlay.  They have several 6-lane widening contracts occurring at the same time (I-476 MM20-31), I-76 Harrisburg area, west of Carlisle, and Pittsburgh area; new freeway in the Pittsburgh area, and some significant bridge replacements. So, there's a balancing act that needs to be considered.

Plus, Act 44 doesn't help. 

Also...the MM320-326 widening is supposedly held up due to an environmental lawsuit?  Either the lawsuit is still pending, or it was wrapped up and led to further redesign delays.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jemacedo9 on October 16, 2017, 09:34:47 AMBut my guess is that the biggest issue is overall cash outlay.  They have several 6-lane widening contracts occurring at the same time (I-476 MM20-31), I-76 Harrisburg area, west of Carlisle, and Pittsburgh area; new freeway in the Pittsburgh area, and some significant bridge replacements. So, there's a balancing act that needs to be considered.
The I-476 MM20-31 widening project was completed about a month ago.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

I read somewhere on the official site (can't find it now) that although stage 1 would not be complete until 2019, I-95 will be signed some time in 2018.

DeaconG

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 15, 2017, 08:53:46 PM

See Act 89. You'd drag out your projects too if you had to give one third of your revenues to SEPTA in Philly and the Port Authority in Pittsburgh.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

jemacedo9

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 16, 2017, 10:07:20 AM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on October 16, 2017, 09:34:47 AMBut my guess is that the biggest issue is overall cash outlay.  They have several 6-lane widening contracts occurring at the same time (I-476 MM20-31), I-76 Harrisburg area, west of Carlisle, and Pittsburgh area; new freeway in the Pittsburgh area, and some significant bridge replacements. So, there's a balancing act that needs to be considered.

Yes, so the cash outlay for that project is just ending...which should either free up cash outlay for this project, or free up cash outlay to begin another project somewhere else on the system. I think the MM31-38 project may be starting up soon?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jemacedo9 on October 16, 2017, 09:34:47 AM
But my guess is that the biggest issue is overall cash outlay.  They have several 6-lane widening contracts occurring at the same time (I-476 MM20-31), I-76 Harrisburg area, west of Carlisle, and Pittsburgh area; new freeway in the Pittsburgh area, and some significant bridge replacements. So, there's a balancing act that needs to be considered.

Overall cash outlay? Yes, that's the correct answer, in spite of annual increases in Pennsylvania Turnpike tolls. 

As in the massive payments that PTC is compelled to make to PennDOT to fund transit capital and operating subsidies (none of which have anything to do with the actual Turnpike) every year (currently about $450 million annually).

From the page I linked above is this:

QuoteWhile the Commission's payment obligation remains at $450 million annually through Fiscal Year 2022, none of the payments are dedicated to highways and bridges. Instead, all $450 million is allocated to support transit capital, operating, multi-modal and other non-highway programs. Beginning in Fiscal Year 2023, the annual payment obligations decreases to $50 million until the payment obligations end in 2057.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jemacedo9

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 16, 2017, 10:53:12 AM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on October 16, 2017, 09:34:47 AM

Overall cash outlay? Yes, that's the correct answer, in spite of annual increases in Pennsylvania Turnpike tolls. 

As in the massive payments that PTC is compelled to make to PennDOT to fund transit capital and operating subsidies (none of which have anything to do with the actual Turnpike) every year (currently about $450 million annually).

From the page I linked above is this:

QuoteWhile the Commission’s payment obligation remains at $450 million annually through Fiscal Year 2022, none of the payments are dedicated to highways and bridges. Instead, all $450 million is allocated to support transit capital, operating, multi-modal and other non-highway programs. Beginning in Fiscal Year 2023, the annual payment obligations decreases to $50 million until the payment obligations end in 2057.

YEEEEEEP. That certainly doesn't help...not at all.

briantroutman

Regarding "foot dragging" –I think that was between 1982, when the interchange was mandated by legislation, and 2013, when ground was finally broken. But now that the project is underway, I don't see what motivation the PTC would have to intentionally slow the pace of work.

Other than out of budgetary necessity–as was mentioned–since the Commission is compelled to write a nearly half-billion-dollar check out to PennDOT each year. Meanwhile, the PTC is mandated through state legislation to continue construction of the Mon-Fayette and the Southern Beltway, and numerous reconstruction and widening projects continue on both the E-W mainline and Northeast Extension.

No to the contrary, I think the PTC would have a compelling to get the project done as soon as possible, which is the toll revenue it stands to gain from I-95 traffic that otherwise doesn't hit the PA Turnpike at all. I would imagine that extensive studies have been done regarding traffic impacts, but has anyone seen them? Let's just make a rough guess that the newly connected I-95 will see an additional 10,000 vehicles a day southbound. At $5 a head (assuming they're all E-ZPass–toll-by-plate would be more), that's $50,000 of lost revenue every day that the opening is delayed–about a $1.5 million a month and over $18 million a year.

Sure, those are minor figures compared to the hundreds of millions required to construct the interchange, but I have to think that the PTC would want to tap those new toll dollars as quickly as possible.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jemacedo9 on October 16, 2017, 10:48:52 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 16, 2017, 10:07:20 AM

Yes, so the cash outlay for that project is just ending...which should either free up cash outlay for this project, or free up cash outlay to begin another project somewhere else on the system. I think the MM31-38 project may be starting up soon?

Projects are budgeted years in advance. The budget for this project was already put in place before it went out to bid many years ago. And delays are due to issues that came about during construction. They probably need more money due to unforeseen issues, but that would cause a delay of other projects.

Since it would make sense that this project would encourage people to use the WB NJ/PA Turnpike bridge, it would make sense to push it along at a faster pace, not slow it down!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: briantroutman on October 16, 2017, 11:49:11 AM

Other than out of budgetary necessity–as was mentioned–since the Commission is compelled to wr
Sure, those are minor figures compared to the hundreds of millions required to construct the interchange, but I have to think that the PTC would want to tap those new toll dollars as quickly as possible.

Absolutely makes sense, since most other projects aren't going to actually bring in more money, such as barrier replacements or bridge upkeep. They're all essential projects...but they don't enhance revenue.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 16, 2017, 11:58:42 AM
Projects are budgeted years in advance. The budget for this project was already put in place before it went out to bid many years ago. And delays are due to issues that came about during construction. They probably need more money due to unforeseen issues, but that would cause a delay of other projects.

Since it would make sense that this project would encourage people to use the WB NJ/PA Turnpike bridge, it would make sense to push it along at a faster pace, not slow it down!

The nice people at the New Jersey Turnpike Authority got most of "their share" of this project done well ahead of PTC when then completed the widening from Exits 6 to 8A (including a lot of interchange reconstruction).

Only thing that NJTA has left is to work with PTC to get the crossing of the Delaware River expanded from 4 lanes to 8 lanes. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 16, 2017, 12:03:46 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 16, 2017, 11:58:42 AM

The nice people at the New Jersey Turnpike Authority got most of "their share" of this project done well ahead of PTC when then completed the widening from Exits 6 to 8A (including a lot of interchange reconstruction).

Only thing that NJTA has left is to work with PTC to get the crossing of the Delaware River expanded from 4 lanes to 8 lanes. 

2025 at the earliest, I believe.

That said, the crack that occurred last year should push this project into a more immediate concern. I don't believe the true root cause of that crack was ever determined.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.