News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

CA 228

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 05, 2022, 08:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

California State Route 228 was a planned highway which was defined during the 1964 State Highway Renumbering as a bypass of Brawley.  California State Route 228 was planned as a two-mile north/south State Highway which would have followed Malan Canal and Sandal Cancel west of Brawley.  California State Route 228 was deleted in 1998 with no actual mileage ever having been constructed. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/06/paper-highways-unbuilt-california-state.html?m=1

skluth

Sandal Cancel is a typo in the original article. It should be Sandal Canal. I'm guessing the construction of the CA 78/111 bypass to the north and east of Brawley removed the need for this short highway.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: skluth on July 05, 2022, 03:30:54 PM
Sandal Cancel is a typo in the original article. It should be Sandal Canal. I'm guessing the construction of the CA 78/111 bypass to the north and east of Brawley removed the need for this short highway.

And my wife wonders why I reread everything aloud at least twice. 

andy3175

Quote from: skluth on July 05, 2022, 03:30:54 PM
I'm guessing the construction of the CA 78/111 bypass to the north and east of Brawley removed the need for this short highway.

Yes, that is my understanding. When the decision was made to focus through traffic onto the SR 111 corridor rather than SR 86, the Brawley Bypass was moved to the north of Brawley rather than to the south and west. The Imperial Valley express route follows SR 86 from the north, then turns east along SR 78, then turns south again to SR 111. The missing piece in my estimation is how to connect the SR 111 expressway to the SR 7 expressway so that there is a fairly high speed route linking the valley with the border crossing without having to traverse Calexico.

Is there any information on the status of signed route 86 leading south from Brawley? Is it still signed at this time? Or has it been decommissioned in part or in whole? During my last visit in 2021, signs were still up for the portion of SR 86 that travels through El Centro. 86 is an expressway between El Centro and Brawley, but it does not have expressway links all the way to the SR 78/Brawley Bypass to the north or to Interstate 8 or SR 111 to the south. If SR 86 is decommissioned south of Brawley, that designation may become superfluous south of the western junction with SR 78.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

pderocco

So that's basically along S27 and S30.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: pderocco on July 11, 2022, 08:43:10 PM
So that's basically along S27 and S30.

Not quite, it would have been much closer to CA 86.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.