News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minnesota: new interchange on MN-36 at Hadley Avenue

Started by Papa Emeritus, January 07, 2018, 02:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa Emeritus

I'm a long time lurker here who has finally decided to become a member.

Today's Minneapolis Star Tribune has an article about an upgrade to the intersection of MN-36 and Hadley Avenue, to a full interchange. This intersection has one of just two remaining signals on MN-36 west of 694. Unsurprisingly, traffic on MN-36 has increased since the new St Croix Bridge opened last year, and accident rates at this intersection are also very high.

Construction starts this fall, with completion late next year. Here is a link to the article:

http://www.startribune.com/crash-prone-oakdale-intersection-headed-for-reconstruction/468222163/

Hopefully, the remaining intersection on 36 west of 694 will also be converted to an interchange soon.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Papa Emeritus on January 07, 2018, 02:09:43 PM
Hopefully, the remaining intersection on 36 west of 694 will also be converted to an interchange soon.

Yeah, I'm curious to see how MnDOT will convert the MN-120/Century Avenue intersection into an interchange (if/when it finally happens). There's no room for it without taking quite a few nearby businesses/residences.

froggie

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/hwy36study/index.html

The preliminary concept for 36/Century is a tight diamond, with a sub-option of having roundabouts at the ramp terminals.  The concepts suggest that both options would require 3 property takings in the northwest corner.  A little bit of land would be needed along the south side, but that's Gateway Trail property.

Papa Emeritus

Yesterday, there was a fatal accident on eastbound Highway 36 at Lake Elmo Avenue. A Toyota Scion stopped at a red light was rear ended by a semi, killing the driver of the Toyota.

Once 36 is converted to a freeway west of 694, I think motorists are going to start driving on 36 as though it was a freeway all the way to the St Croix River bridge, and accidents at the traffic signals on 36 between 694 and the bridge are going to become more and more common.

Although Oak Park Heights has made it clear they do not want 36 turned into a freeway through their city, I think they are going to change their mind if accidents become more common (or more severe) on the non-freeway part of 36.

Here's a link to a news story about the crash:

http://kstp.com/traffic/serious-injury-crash-highway-36-lake-elmo/4806381/

skluth

Quote from: Papa Emeritus on February 28, 2018, 07:03:31 AM
Although Oak Park Heights has made it clear they do not want 36 turned into a freeway through their city, I think they are going to change their mind if accidents become more common (or more severe) on the non-freeway part of 36.

There are still driveways along the eastbound side of MN 36. It might be too expensive to build right now, even if it makes sense. An upgrade to expressway with the elimination of cross traffic and interchanges at busy intersections like Lake Elmo may be possible, both economically and politically.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.