News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 04, 2021, 10:34:14 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 04, 2021, 11:36:41 AM
As for other big projects (fictional dreaming incoming), would be interesting to see upgrades to US-41 eventually in Lake County. Potentially some intersections converted to interchanges? I don't know if its necessary, but that's one route that comes to mind. Maybe some grade separation improvements to US-12 up to Wisconsin.

I don't think giving US 41 to ISTHA would go over well.

I didn't realize we were talking about only ISTHA projects. My bad. US-41 being tolled would make negative sense.

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 04, 2021, 09:12:00 PM
You're talking about Lake County - a section of land devoted to wealthy N.I.M.B.Y.s

I am very much away of that. I've heard of many people complain about Lake County traffic, and then also not support the 53 extension.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

The Daily Herald asked the is of the route 53 lane in a story about a year ago. Looks like parks. Also with the increase in remote work a lot of projects may change over the next decade. Also online shopping changes traffic matters too.

But IL 120 was studies as a county tolled arterial .
There were plans to extend 390.
Now it's just a ramp
Anyone know what happened.

The Illiana and crosstown exist in a theoretical CMAP future corridors.
I think the the prairie parkway and other outer belt ideas were dropped.

I tried to collect the plans that were actually in plans. The 1971 Interim plan was never official. The 1995 plan was. It has the foxway which was cancelled because no ROW.
That was replaced by various outer belt ideas that stretched from 90 to 65.

Interestingly some form of mini crosstown always survived because the ROW is there
There was also an IKE Stevenson Connector in the 2010 Plan

I found a Tribune story a study began
I end with 2 questions
What happened to 390 extension?
IKE Stevenson?

Rick Powell

Quote from: edwaleni on February 03, 2021, 11:47:28 AM
- Finish I-390 as a tollroad to IL-59 for the EOE
- Complete the North Lake Expressway (IL-120) from I-94 to Round Lake (IDOT owns 70% of the ROW)
- Build connection ramps to IL-83 south from IL-120. It is unincorporated Lake County and not subject to the local NIMBYism further south. (IDOT owns 100%)
- Start the Illiana from I-80 near Morris to I-57 north of Manteno, regardless of the airport. (IDOT owns >10% of ROW) At a minimum, start the bridge to I-55
- Land acquisition to improve IL-47 north of Morris to Oswego.
IDOT owns 10% of land for the unbuilt Prairie Parkway, but didn't buy any land that I know of for the Illiana yet. I think there may be an issue with selling the Prairie Parkway land since federal $ was involved. IL 47 will be a 4 lane arterial from south of Morris to north of I-88, it is already programmed and being designed and ROW being bought in all the existing gaps. 

I-39

Quote from: Rick Powell on February 05, 2021, 11:00:47 PM
- Finish I-390 as a tollroad to IL-59 for the EOE
- Complete the North Lake Expressway (IL-120) from I-94 to Round Lake (IDOT owns 70% of the ROW)
- Build connection ramps to IL-83 south from IL-120. It is unincorporated Lake County and not subject to the local NIMBYism further south. (IDOT owns 100%)
- Start the Illiana from I-80 near Morris to I-57 north of Manteno, regardless of the airport. (IDOT owns >10% of ROW) At a minimum, start the bridge to I-55
IDOT owns 10% of land for the unbuilt Prairie Parkway, but didn't buy any land that I know of for the Illiana yet. I think there may be an issue with selling the Prairie Parkway land since federal $ was involved. IL 47 will be a 4 lane arterial from south of Morris to north of I-88, it is already programmed and being designed and ROW being bought in all the existing gaps.

When are they going to start construction on the segments between Sugar Grove and Yorkville? I keep hearing it's just around the corner, but there is never any indication construction will start.

ET21

Quote from: 3467 on February 05, 2021, 11:36:44 AM

There's a case study going on to extend it a bit further west to County Line Road, but otherwise the only other section being done is the IL 390/I-490 JCT by O'Hare
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

lstone19

Quote from: ET21 on February 05, 2021, 11:49:47 PM

There's a case study going on to extend it a bit further west to County Line Road, but otherwise the only other section being done is the IL 390/I-490 JCT by O'Hare

Did you mean Country Farm Road (1/2 mile west of the current end at Lake St.)?

Rick Powell

Quote from: I-39 on February 05, 2021, 11:06:15 PM
When are they going to start construction on the segments between Sugar Grove and Yorkville? I keep hearing it's just around the corner, but there is never any indication construction will start.
District 1 will build the piece between Cross Street and Galena Road (crossing into Kendall County) and District 3 will build the remaining piece from Galena to Kennedy. I *think* District 3 might be ahead of the District 1 piece, since they led the original study for the whole section, and have had a design consultant on board all along where District 1 had to go and hire one. But lots of right of way parcels to buy in both sections, and each section has a railroad overpass to do. They are planning on adding a 3rd track to the overpass in Yorkville that would be compatible with a Metra extension. The 3rd track is a beneficiary of a "shoo-fly" detour track that will stay in place following construction.

IDOT has a FY 2021/22 "look ahead" that does not mention construction engineering for the project, but mentions it for the IL 71 project from IL 126 in Yorkville to Orchard Road in Oswego. So I'd guess FY 2023 at the earliest, which starts July 2022.

District 3 is also working on plans and right of way to close the 4-lane gap between Caton Farm Road and IL 71, south end of Yorkville.

With the completion of the IL 47 and IL 71 projects, additional state highway expansions in Kendall County will probably be on pause for a while. There was a study in the 90s to widen US 34 and IL 31 from Orchard Road all the way to the Kane County line, but nothing became of it.

I went through every project since 1966
The U.S. 12 spur and US 14 A long with an Illiana precursor and Illinois 1 were there
The other 2 routes were 20 and 30
30 was cancelled and 20 is still sort of discussed.
14 stayed arterial and the spur for 12 was part of the 53 extension

The fates of the others
53 120. Most of the ROW was acquired and the tollway  authorized and cancelled
What is possible. Maybe the Lake County tolled arterial
Lake Front. The Amstutz and another freeway mile Completed as Arterial .
Foxway. A little ROW bought but cancelled due to development
Became Prairie Parkway inspiration.
The PP . See Above. An extension to 90 floated
355 was Finished
Elgin Ohare partly finished with ramps possible to county farm road.
Illinois 1 has been discussed in area mostly with Illiana and airport. Since connecting Indiana cities was in its purpose and need in its first EIS it went nowhere

So we have left in CMAP
Crosstown
Illiana...but not in Indiana's plans.

And from Lake County IL 120

I guess anything else is fictional unless you want to comment on CMAP 2060 or the the Tollway Plan

ET21

Quote from: lstone19 on February 06, 2021, 12:04:45 AM
Quote from: ET21 on February 05, 2021, 11:49:47 PM

Did you mean Country Farm Road (1/2 mile west of the current end at Lake St.)?

Yes that's what I meant lol
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hobsini2

Quote from: I-39 on February 03, 2021, 10:47:40 AM
With this being the 10th anniversary of when Move Illinois was approved, what do you think the next big projects will be when the current work wraps up? After the central Tri-State rebuild, the EOE and the I-57/294 interchange, what else is needed?

The IL-53 extension is sadly dead, but I think one big thing should be the I-90/I-290 interchange in Schaumburg. That needs to be rebuilt with a new configuration.

Do you mean Sugar Grove? 47 doesn't go to Oswego.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

edwaleni

Quote from: hobsini2 on February 07, 2021, 12:40:35 AM
With this being the 10th anniversary of when Move Illinois was approved, what do you think the next big projects will be when the current work wraps up? After the central Tri-State rebuild, the EOE and the I-57/294 interchange, what else is needed?

The IL-53 extension is sadly dead, but I think one big thing should be the I-90/I-290 interchange in Schaumburg. That needs to be rebuilt with a new configuration.

I meant Yorkville actually.  But in general that area is growing at a good clip and will be demanding better connectivity.

They already are having a vote to join Metra soon.

IL-47 was widened Missouri style (add a new 2 lane next to existing) as far north as Caton Farm Road, but they need to take it further north.

Revive 755

Quote from: edwaleni on February 07, 2021, 12:01:16 PM
IL-47 was widened Missouri style (add a new 2 lane next to existing) as far north as Caton Farm Road, but they need to take it further north.

Looks like they did replace the old lanes to me.

Brandon

I meant Yorkville actually.  But in general that area is growing at a good clip and will be demanding better connectivity.

IDOT fully replaced the lanes.  It's only the right-of-way that was widened to one side.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Looks nice. Any Traffic lights North of Morris on it?
I wonder if they could use the PP ROW for a Yorkville Plano bypass.Even if you had a light at 34 or would pretty much accomplish the PP.

edwaleni

Quote from: Brandon on February 07, 2021, 03:17:10 PM

IDOT fully replaced the lanes.  It's only the right-of-way that was widened to one side.

Thanks, its been a while since I drove that way. I usually end up over on IL-59.

inkyatari

Quote from: edwaleni on February 07, 2021, 10:38:19 PM
Quote from: Brandon on February 07, 2021, 03:17:10 PM

Thanks, its been a while since I drove that way. I usually end up over on IL-59.

IMHO, 47 should be widened south of Morris down to Dwight
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Revive 755

Quote from: 3467 on February 07, 2021, 04:23:11 PM

Assuming you're only referring to the section between Morris and Yorkville, there's one at the US 52 intersection.

paulthemapguy

I thought it was absurd that they widened IL-47 only as far north as Caton Farm Road-- the only explanation I can think of for that, is that there must be some other form of programming to widen IL-47 from that point north to IL-71.

And there is!  https://idot.illinois.gov/projects/il-47-project

Edit:  I realized this is the Illinois Tollway thread. Maybe we could move this talk back to the Illinois Notes thread because this is a pretty heavy derailment.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

We diverted because we were wondering if there is anything the tollway could add .
With only one traffic light,thanks for that, it looks like this pretty much fulfills PP.

Could the tollway do a small project like a Yorkville or Grayslake bypass IL 120?

Rick Powell

Quote from: 3467 on February 08, 2021, 11:03:23 AM
Could the tollway do a small project like a Yorkville or Grayslake bypass IL 120?
Kendall County is already building a new bridge over the Fox River between Plano and Yorkville along the Eldamain/High Point Road corridor, and the N-S corridor is set up for future 4 lanes (similar to the Orchard Road bridge which has a wide foundation). There will be a defacto IL 47 bypass of Yorkville using Walker Road, HighPoint/Eldamain, and Galena Road, although there may not be a real time saving once it's in place. It's difficult to see how a short bypass route, especially tolled, could generate enough $ to pay for itself with four non-tolled N-S alternatives available nearby (IL 47, the new bridge, Orchard Road, and Fox River Drive).

Rick Powell

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 07, 2021, 10:54:12 PM
Quote from: 3467 on February 07, 2021, 04:23:11 PM

Assuming you're only referring to the section between Morris and Yorkville, there's one at the US 52 intersection.

Between I-80 in Morris and IL 71 in Yorkville, there are six stoplights. Gore Road, Mall Road, Granville Road, ProLogis Parkway, US 52 (new) and Saravanos Drive. It is noted that both Yorkville and Morris have extended their utilities substantially north of 80 and south of 71. Growth is slow now, but if it ever takes off again, additional stoplights might start dotting the route.

I see it. I am sure you are right. Also I think the State Senator from Grayslake felt the big project era was over because remote work and see dead malls thread....these are the historic big traffic generators.
That's why I reviewed the past considered projects . The Tollway  was an option but I just don't see any of them happening.
It's cost plus less traffic and some NIMBY to revere to a debate in General Highways.

We noticed those 4 Morris lights that is why I wondered how many more. .
Considering the US has its lowest birthrate ever and Illinois is always lower....
We shall see.

The Ghostbuster

What is the future of the Oases (Service Areas) on the Illinois Tollways? They have already gotten rid of the Des Planes Oasis on the JAMT, and the McDonald's on the Chicago Skyway. The O'Hare Oasis on the TST is no more, and I've heard the Hinsdale Oasis (also on the TST) may be demolished in the future as well. Hopefully, they won't all eventually close down.

edwaleni

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 08, 2021, 03:09:04 PM
What is the future of the Oases (Service Areas) on the Illinois Tollways? They have already gotten rid of the Des Planes Oasis on the JAMT, and the McDonald's on the Chicago Skyway. The O'Hare Oasis on the TST is no more, and I've heard the Hinsdale Oasis (also on the TST) may be demolished in the future as well. Hopefully, they won't all eventually close down.

I think in the end only the Lincoln and DeKalb Oasis will survive.

The land purchased in 1952 for the planned Downers Grove oasis was sold back in the 1980's. The rest of the land was used for the electronic toll sensor bridge over the road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.