News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

Quote from: edwaleni on February 08, 2021, 09:23:38 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 08, 2021, 03:09:04 PM
What is the future of the Oases (Service Areas) on the Illinois Tollways? They have already gotten rid of the Des Planes Oasis on the JAMT, and the McDonald's on the Chicago Skyway. The O'Hare Oasis on the TST is no more, and I've heard the Hinsdale Oasis (also on the TST) may be demolished in the future as well. Hopefully, they won't all eventually close down.

I think in the end only the Lincoln and DeKalb Oasis will survive.

The land purchased in 1952 for the planned Downers Grove oasis was sold back in the 1980's. The rest of the land was used for the electronic toll sensor bridge over the road.

The Belvidere Oasis will probably also survive.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

I would suspect that Lake Forest will too. They kept the gas stations for a while after the overheads. Maybe the will at Hinsdale . I don't know.
There was supposed to be another on 88 because the original plan was for it to extend to the Quad Cities getting as far as 74 or even 67. Also it's on page 5 of Illinois note a sour of about 10 miles meat the 78 interchange up to Clinton.
While I see the QC cutoff I am still not sure why it ends at MP 44.

ET21

Belvidere, Lake Forest, DeKalb, and Lincoln will probably live on. O'Hare and Hinsdale might become only gas and the 7/11s
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

I-39

Quote from: ET21 on February 09, 2021, 09:30:07 AM
Belvidere, Lake Forest, DeKalb, and Lincoln will probably live on. O'Hare and Hinsdale might become only gas and the 7/11s

I could see Lincoln going away when a fifth lane is inevitably needed on I-80/294/94.

SSOWorld

Quote from: I-39 on February 09, 2021, 01:13:50 PM

I could see Lincoln going away when a fifth lane is inevitably needed on I-80/294/94.
Also Lake Forest
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

I-39

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 09, 2021, 01:19:55 PM

Also Lake Forest

True, but I believe the I-80/294 section will need a fifth lane long before I-94 needs one in the north suburbs.

Brandon

There's no room there with the quarry for a fifth lane in either direction.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

I-39

Quote from: Brandon on February 09, 2021, 09:29:06 PM

Then what are they going to do when a fifth lane is needed?

edwaleni

Quote from: I-39 on February 09, 2021, 10:43:10 PM

Technically they could still add another lane on each side, but I have a feeling it would probably violate some safety rules, mostly around the amount of weight and construction so much closer to the edging. One fracture or calving of limestone and that road is kaput.

IDOT already allowed a quarry to breach the edgings on the former US-66 (Joliet Road) at 55th Street and its been closed for many years. (supposedly IDOT is still in legal action with Ozinga)

The delay is mostly because they are a major supplier of aggregate to Chicago area highway suppliers and that makes them politically connected.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: edwaleni on February 09, 2021, 11:45:38 PM
Quote from: I-39 on February 09, 2021, 10:43:10 PM

Technically they could still add another lane on each side, but I have a feeling it would probably violate some safety rules, mostly around the amount of weight and construction so much closer to the edging. One fracture or calving of limestone and that road is kaput.

IDOT already allowed a quarry to breach the edgings on the former US-66 (Joliet Road) at 55th Street and its been closed for many years. (supposedly IDOT is still in legal action with Ozinga)

The delay is mostly because they are a major supplier of aggregate to Chicago area highway suppliers and that makes them politically connected.

I-94 in Lake County has been built out mostly as big as we will see it for any foreseeable future. They may extend a fifth auxiliary lane as far North as maybe Half Day Road, but that's probably about it. There is a lot of traffic, but mostly not enough to warrant a fifth lane each way most of the way through Lake County. They also would have to do some major revamp of overpasses and such.

I-294/I-80 is going to need that fifth lane within the next decade or two. Especially if there will be no Illiana, that is solely the main way for cross country truck traffic, and that along will warrant an additional lane (of course, cooperation from IDOT and InDOT will be needed to make it worthwhile, which is a whole other discussion in and of itself).

With that, I say the Lake Forest, Belvidere, and Dekalb Oasis's are safe. Lincoln will one day meet the same fate as O'Hare and Hinsdale (reduced to Gas Stations and 7-11s only). Sadly, Des Plaines is never coming back in any form, which is a shame, as I used to like stopping for the gas at that one. On a related note, knowing the resistance that Hinsdale especially is putting up to the loss of the oasis, why hadn't they thought of ponying up money to pay for a rebuild after the widening is done? If they want one so bad, ask the tollway if they can help finance a new one, and maybe even take over part of the operating costs of it, or be in charge of contracting that, as a partnership with the tollway? Just a thought, if they really want to maintain a full oasis, and there is value to having one there as a central location.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ChiMilNet on February 10, 2021, 01:34:40 PM
I-294/I-80 is going to need that fifth lane within the next decade or two. Especially if there will be no Illiana, that is solely the main way for cross country truck traffic, and that along will warrant an additional lane (of course, cooperation from IDOT and InDOT will be needed to make it worthwhile, which is a whole other discussion in and of itself).

Illinois adding a 5th lane won't do any good unless Indiana also adds a 5th land, and if Indiana adds a 5th lane, there goes my house.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

edwaleni

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 10, 2021, 01:40:46 PM

Illinois adding a 5th lane won't do any good unless Indiana also adds a 5th land, and if Indiana adds a 5th lane, there goes my house.

Plenty of other issues here as well. The bridges in this stretch date back to the original construction in the 1950's and would require replacement.

I-39

Quote from: edwaleni on February 10, 2021, 04:09:52 PM

Plenty of other issues here as well. The bridges in this stretch date back to the original construction in the 1950's and would require replacement.

On the ISTHA segment. IDOT and InDOT replaced their crossroad bridges. It's been discussed before, but for whatever reason, the policy of the tollway in the original Congestion Relief Program was to leave most of the existing crossroad bridges intact even while the mainline was rebuilt. The result is four lanes being squeezed under the bridges and having no shoulders, which is pretty dangerous on that stretch of I-80/294 if you ask me.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: I-39 on February 10, 2021, 04:25:20 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on February 10, 2021, 04:09:52 PM

On the ISTHA segment. IDOT and InDOT replaced their crossroad bridges. It's been discussed before, but for whatever reason, the policy of the tollway in the original Congestion Relief Program was to leave most of the existing crossroad bridges intact even while the mainline was rebuilt. The result is four lanes being squeezed under the bridges and having no shoulders, which is pretty dangerous on that stretch of I-80/294 if you ask me.

It's definitely a tight squeeze in a few spots along that whole stretch. I'd be curious what ROW would be needed for that in Indiana especially, it never seemed like too much, but I honestly don't get through there too often (hopefully no properties or minimal impact). However, thinking about it, they really need to at least extend four lanes to probably as far as Michigan City (the lane drop just East of I-65 especially can really be a mess at times, and particularly since it is just before the I-80 switchover). As for the ISTHA, why they didn't spend just a little more to replace more of the overpasses there is beyond me. Sadly, most of these are going to need replacement, one way or the other, over the next decade or so, so really, they kind of just are on borrowed time with that. Hoping that they at least accommodate future widening when they do so.

So they are keeping the 7  11 at Ohare and Hinsdale?

Joe The Dragon

Lincoln looks like they can jam in an 5th lane with out taking it down. But no full shoulders / flex lane + 5 lanes

Joe The Dragon

They can add one form IL-1 to IL-394/I-94 or just IL-1 to lincoln ramps.  I-80 to IL-1 is at 5

ET21

Quote from: 3467 on February 11, 2021, 09:56:54 AM
So they are keeping the 7  11 at Ohare and Hinsdale?

Least at O'Hare. I'd assume the same at Hinsdale
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Crash_It

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on February 11, 2021, 10:12:16 AM

They can add one form IL-1 to IL-394/I-94 or just IL-1 to lincoln ramps.  I-80 to IL-1 is at 5

They really need to increase the speed limit through there , 55 is too slow.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Crash_It on February 12, 2021, 09:03:14 PM

Probably due to ongoing construction, I imagine they might increase it when all finished. It definitely needs to be increased. Going 55 through there is dangerous as opposed to at least 70.

Brandon

Quote from: ChiMilNet on February 12, 2021, 09:59:05 PM

Probably due to ongoing construction, I imagine they might increase it when all finished. It definitely needs to be increased. Going 55 through there is dangerous as opposed to at least 70.

It's 55 there normally, without construction.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

Quote from: Brandon on February 12, 2021, 10:51:12 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on February 12, 2021, 09:59:05 PM

It's 55 there normally, without construction.
And likely only stay there or go to 60 because Chicago/Cook County
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Revive 755

Opkl2

If this ever happens, I would like to see exit/ entrance ramps added to the Chicago Ave overpass. This will offer both Thornton and South Holland direct access to the toll road.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 13, 2021, 12:29:39 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on February 13, 2021, 09:58:28 AM
And likely only stay there or go to 60 because Chicago/Cook County

That didn't stop I-90 from going to 70 west of the Elmhurst Road
Well aware of that - they only put it in after the smart road system was added - still 60 east of Elmhurst and I still don't believe they'll push it up especially when IDOT is not bumping speeds on 290 nor is the tollway bumping 88 to 65 or 70 within 355 (it's 60 now).  The Chicago 6 is stubborn in this matter.  (Maybe except Will County ;) )
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.