News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Corporate Logos on BGSs

Started by andrewkbrown, August 05, 2010, 10:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewkbrown

Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

golden eagle

That's the first time I've seen logos on BGSs. Given the budget shortfalls many (if not all) states are having, I'm surprised it hasn't become a trend.

KillerTux

Strange thing is I noticed within the Maryland part of I-495/95 that the Washington National's logo was removed from all the BGSs, don't know why. I love to see all the logos on services signs and Sponsor-A-Highway signs, I think it is a great thing they get their name out there and the state gets money to maintain signs/road. I know Royal Farms convenient store bought up all of I-97 with the Sponsor-A-Highway program so all I see every single one of their signs  mmmm..subs  :spin:

Scott5114

Quote from: Eth on August 05, 2010, 11:40:19 PM
More examples:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=39.016006,-76.999657&panoid=61BwswtkKNjjGyg7ucmJDQ&cbp=12,104.22,,0,5&ll=39.015966,-76.999784&spn=0.007919,0.017831&z=16

What the hell is that trying to say? Chevy Chase Bank Field at Byrd Stadium Comcast Center? Or is it the exit where you can meet Chevy Chase in person and also visit Bank Field at Byrd Stadium and Comcast Center? Or...what?

Just put it in text so we know what the hell's going on. :pan:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

there's already a Byrd Stadium?  His corpse is still warm!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

golden eagle

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 06, 2010, 12:06:47 AM
there's already a Byrd Stadium?  His corpse is still warm!

Not the same guy. It's named for Harry Byrd, who was an athlete and later a football coach and president of the University of Maryland.

SSOWorld

Milwaukee: Marquette and UW-M logos on BGS's, also Summerfest logo.
Madison: Alliant Energy Center logo on beltline (US 12 and friends) BGSs

MassPike has corporate logos on smaller signs - especially anything with the Fast Lane tag system.

EDIT: You could call E-ZPass, I-Pass, etc corporate logos as well ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

realjd

There are signs with the US Steel logo (there used to be others steel mill logos also) along I-90 in Gary, IN. I couldn't for the life of me find them on Street View though.

Truvelo

A lot of newer signs in Massachusetts have small writing in the bottom corner.
Speed limits limit life

PAHighways

The only place I have seen logos on a BGS in Pennsylvania is at Exit 345 on I-76/Schuylkill Expressway.

The PTC signs attractions like they sign other services such as food and lodging on a blue guide sign.

deathtopumpkins

Well if it counts, you see plenty of signs that include logos for transit stations. Specifically Virginia Railway Express in Northern Virginia and Metro-North around NYC come to mind. I think it's a fairly standard practice though.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Mr_Northside

Quote from: KillerTux on August 05, 2010, 11:16:09 PM
I know Royal Farms convenient store bought up all of I-97 with the Sponsor-A-Highway program so all I see every single one of their signs

Yeah... they've Sponsored (Here we use "adopted") quite a few miles of highway.  Coincidentally, we stopped at one on the way back from the beach.  It wasn't bad... but like most businesses of it's kind, it still ain't got a thing on SHEETZ!

Also, I assume we're not talking about blue BGS's, which mostly just contain corporate logos.  (Execpt for the occasional Food/Gas/or Lodging places on signs that aren't corporate.

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

andrewkbrown

Nope just green ones. The Blue Guide Signs are obviously corporate logo'd.

I just frequently pass BGSs here in and around DC with Washington Nationals and Redskins logos, and FedEx Field logos, and I wondered who else could give examples of corporate logos on BGSs.
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

iwishiwascanadian

Quote from: Truvelo on August 06, 2010, 09:14:31 AM
A lot of newer signs in Massachusetts have small writing in the bottom corner.

That's done in Rhode Island, I think it's to do with DOT sign cataloguing or something, but I honestly haven't a clue.

I think it's done in the Netherlands as well. 

Zmapper

I think that the ban prohibiting the specific signing of shopping centers and commercial places of interest should be relaxed. It might make more sense to show that Walmart is off the Orange St Exit.

SSOWorld

RI also signed the T and Amtrack for the Providence station.

Most park and ride signs I've seen so far had transit authority logos on it - CTA for example at Cumberland and Harlem Aves on the Kennedy.

More logos on BGS: Gillette Stadium on I-95.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Truvelo

When I was up in Vermont I noticed the blue Food/Gas/Lodging signs don't actually show the name of the establishments. They just have a symbol for each type such as a bed, knife & fork, gas pump. The ones on the exit ramps also show the direction and distance to each but once on the next street these signs disappear so you're left to find them yourself. The lack of branding is annoying as I want to eat at a particular restaurant and when I get there it's just a greasy crapdonalds :banghead:

An example of these signs is here.

Speed limits limit life

SSOWorld

New Hampshire and Maine have the same thing from what I saw so far (up 95 to Portland and 95, 101 to Manchester (from east) and 93 south of Manchester.

I have to check again, but I think Rhode Island also doesn't have this - don't quote me on it yet.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

deathtopumpkins

It must be a New England thing, as Connecticut is the same way, except with text instead. Got off I-84 in Bristol recently in search of food (there was a sign!) and drove for miles before finally stopping to eat at some diner.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Ian

Quote from: Master son on August 07, 2010, 07:19:54 AM
New Hampshire and Maine have the same thing from what I saw so far (up 95 to Portland and 95, 101 to Manchester (from east) and 93 south of Manchester.

New Hampshire does do the general food-gas-lodging sign, but once you get onto the offramp, the signs for the actual establishments appear. Maine likes to use those rectangular wooden service signs at their exits IIRC.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

BigMattFromTexas

I've never seen a logo on any BGS except for the normal blue logo signs. I think it'd be a real interesting thing to see.
BigMatt

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bryant5493

Somewhat related is that GDOT has started to have their 511 signs sponsored by local area companies (i.e., Chick-fil-A, Golden Corral, Park 'N Fly, etc.).

When I get a chance, I'll take a photo of a few. They've been popping up a lot lately in the Metro.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.