News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Automatic toll collection (E-ZPass, etc)

Started by SSOWorld, August 06, 2010, 07:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Who here has a toll tag transponder?

I have an I-Pass - which thankfully interfaces with the E-ZPass system.  Comes in handy for the northeast US roadtrips. :sombrero:

Also, on a side note, I noticed that states mentioned neighboring state's tag system (in the E-Z Pass zone) on their border toll gates.  For instance, Illinois, MassPike and Indiana Toll Road mention E-ZPass (Skyway also mentions iZoom (coincidence since the Skyway is operated by the same company that operates the IN Toll Road?)  Indiana Toll road mentions I-Pass, Ohio Turnpike mentions I-Pass and iZoom on westgate plaza, Thruway mentions MassPike's FastLane (at least on the Birkshire gate.

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

froggie

I have a Virginia-issued EZPass (which up until a couple years ago was called SmartTag).  Comes in handy when I head to/from Vermont.

realjd

I have a SunPass from Florida, which is interoperable with Orlando's E-Pass system. It is not interoperable with systems in any other state.

Duke87

When EZPass first came out in 1997, my father insisted it wasn't worth it to get one since we didn't go through tolls that often and other people getting them would help thin the traffic out, anyway.
Evenutally, though, in 2003(?), he caved and we got one. We now we have three (one in every car).

Currently I am not paying for mine, but I don't expect to be getting away with that for much longer now that I've found a job...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

elsmere241

I live in Delaware so of course I have EZ-Pass.  It's almost a necessity for traveling to another state, or downstate, on a regular basis.

froggie

Well in your case, it doesn't hurt that there's the high-speed EZPass lanes on Route 1.  Used them a fair bit myself when I was doing regular Norfolk-Syracuse runs.

mightyace

No, I don't for two main reasons:

1) I want them to get more reliable and more interoperable. (See https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3163.msg70018#msg70018 for more details.)  You should be able to get a transponder that works ANYWHERE in the U.S. and, possibly, Canada and Mexico.

2) Practicality.  There are, at present, no toll roads in Tennessee.  Though my travels takes me a couple of times a year into EZ-Pass territory (OH, PA) and this year in Florida (SunPass, E-Pass).  I don't go into those areas enough to get a transponder. 
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

deathtopumpkins

I don't have one and likely won't until they are implemented on a much larger scale, but my Dad is thinking about getting an E-Z Pass because, since my sister is going to college in Boston, and I will likely go up north too, he is now making regular Hampton - Boston trips.

I think it's easier to just carry cash at this point in time. Though what would be the best IMO is if there was a credit card reader at the toll booth. Then instead of taking cash out of my bank account at an ATM I could just use my check card.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Scott5114

I don't have a Pikepass because I rarely need to use I-44 or any other toll road in OK. I had considered getting one when I lived in Springfield, MO and regularly used I-44 to visit my home in OK, but OTA wanted a credit card number to do auto-replenish and I didn't have any sort of card at the time. Since I moved back to OK, I have got a card, but now I don't need to use the toll roads much anymore.

I might be slightly more inclined to get one if Pikepass were EZ-Pass compatible, but then again I've been in the EZ-Pass zone three times in my life (two of those in Illinois), so I don't really think it would be any more practical to have one.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

myosh_tino

I have California's version called FasTrak and I find it quite useful at times when I travel around the San Francisco Bay Area.  FasTrak is the only electronic toll collection system in California and all tolling facilities that have ETC have to use it (Golden Gate Bridge, Bay Area Toll Authority, 91 Express Lanes, I-15 Express Lanes, Southbay Expwy, Orange County toll roads, etc).  Up here in the Bay Area, I pay no monthly maintenance fees and there is no minimum usage requirements which is nice.

As far as a national standard, it would be nice but would not be very high on the priority list out here.  The closest out-of-state ETC system would be Washington State's system used on the Tacoma-Narrows Bridge and on the WA-167 express lane (I think I have the route number right) or Denver's E-470.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

vdeane

I have one; I can't imagine having to fumble with cash when I'm out driving the Thruway on my own.  Thruway tags have no minimum usage or monthly fees for a standard tag.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PAHighways

I have had E-ZPass since June 2001, which was six months before my area had it as the PTC progressively rolled it out beginning in 2000.

Mr_Northside

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

TheStranger

I have a FasTrak transponder due to my regular travels to the Bay Area (to visit family and friends), which almost always necessitates driving across one of the Bay/Carquinez Strait crossings.

Quote from: myosh_tinoUp here in the Bay Area, I pay no monthly maintenance fees and there is no minimum usage requirements which is nice.

Do the SoCal-issued transponders require fees?
Chris Sampang

myosh_tino

Quote from: TheStranger on August 06, 2010, 04:17:15 PM
I have a FasTrak transponder due to my regular travels to the Bay Area (to visit family and friends), which almost always necessitates driving across one of the Bay/Carquinez Strait crossings.

Quote from: myosh_tinoUp here in the Bay Area, I pay no monthly maintenance fees and there is no minimum usage requirements which is nice.

Do the SoCal-issued transponders require fees?
I think that varies from tolling authority to tolling authority.  I do remember reading that the Southbay Expressway (CA-125) and the I-15 Express Lanes have usage minimums and/or monthly service fees.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Bickendan

Oregon doesn't have any -- despite the Bridge of the Gods and the Hood River Bridges ('OR 35'/'WA 35') being tolled.

And during my trans-continental trip I took a couple years back, I did the Thruway (Albany-Buffalo), Mackinac Bridge and SF-Oakland Bay Bridge, all with cash.

SSOWorld

I noticed the Maine Turnpike mentioned MassPike's Fast Lane as well  :sombrero: - didn't look too hard in NH, but I don't recall any mention.

I was surprised to see NH had Open road tolling on the blue star.  The driver in front of me didn't know how to use it though - The sign said Speed Limit 65 - he went 40.  :pan:
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Ace10

SunPass user here in Central FL. No maintenance fees or minimum requirements. They do offer discounts - some toll points are 25 cents less than cash customers pay. Plus in the Orlando area, virtually every toll point is open-road/express lanes so that makes zipping around town so much easier, and I've never encountered a traffic jam on a toll road. Wish more states had them!

SSOWorld

Quote from: AstareGod on August 06, 2010, 09:56:14 PM
SunPass user here in Central FL. No maintenance fees or minimum requirements. They do offer discounts - some toll points are 25 cents less than cash customers pay. Plus in the Orlando area, virtually every toll point is open-road/express lanes so that makes zipping around town so much easier, and I've never encountered a traffic jam on a toll road. Wish more states had them!
No traffic jams on toll roads???  I've encountered three traffic jams on toll roads.  One on the Jane Addams (Northwest) in IL (even with open road tolling) and two on the MassPike.  And overheard about the Northeast Extension in PA being jammed for an entire day!  Consider yourself lucky in Florda.  The MassPike was closed for a time backing up traffic for 10 miles yesterday due to a crash that required a medivac helicopter be used.

Crashes and construction can jam a toll road just as easily in any case.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

deathtopumpkins

Traffic!? On a toll road!? Naw... Never happens! Just look at the New Jersey Turnpike! </sarcasm>
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

froggie

To be fair, he/she did refer to the Orlando toll roads.

Ian

Quote from: Master son on August 06, 2010, 08:31:51 PM
I was surprised to see NH had Open road tolling on the blue star.  The driver in front of me didn't know how to use it though - The sign said Speed Limit 65 - he went 40.  :pan:

Yeah, those high speed E-ZPass lanes are a great improvement for the toll. We usually encounter horrible 4th of July traffic at that toll, but not anymore!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

realjd

Quote from: AstareGod on August 06, 2010, 09:56:14 PM

You've obviously never tried driving the 408 at rush hour!

Ace10

Quote from: realjd on August 07, 2010, 02:31:33 PM
You've obviously never tried driving the 408 at rush hour!

Well actually I have hit 408 in the mornings between 7-9 AM and afternoons from 2-6 PM and haven't had a traffic jam. Now, going from SR-429 to SR-408 via the Turnpike usually backs up in the morning due to the construction in that area but I usually get off at the next exit (SR-50) and then onto 408 from there. I end up going the speed limit (55-65) all during those times. I do consider myself very lucky. The other Orlando-area toll roads do seem a lot less used than 408 does - except for 528 with its airport traffic.

Jim

I've had NYSTA E-ZPass pretty much since it first came available.  They hold onto about $15 at any given time and replenish from a credit card when the balance falls below a threshold.  It's been well worth it for me.  NYSTA offers a discounted toll rate for E-ZPass holders, plus I buy the commuter plan to get the first 30 miles of any trip on the mainline Thruway toll free.  Last year, my commute was from Exit 27 on the Thruway to Exit 5 on the Mass Pike, so by taking I-90 through Albany, I would not pay any tolls (beyond the price of the commuter plan) for those trips.  This year, I'll be commuting 27 to 24, which is just under 30 miles, so I'll easily get my money's worth from the plan.  We travel quite a bit throughout the northeast and down to Florida (get with the program already, Sun Pass!!) so it's helpful to bypass the cash lanes.

I read some of the threads about transponder reliability, but I've rarely had any problems in several years of pretty heavy usage, both on the Thruway and throughout E-ZPass land.  When my first transponder's battery wore down, I got the "Call E-ZPass" message at a toll booth and a swap for a new tag was quickly arranged.  If there were ever any other problems with the transponder being read properly, they were taken care of without my knowledge or help.

The only real problem I had was in (I believe) 1997, when I was away from home for a month.  I took the Thruway to the Pennsylvania line and everything seemed fine (I got the "E-ZPass GO").  So when a letter arrived from E-ZPass back at home, I said I'd look at it when I got home since I was sure it was just a statement.  But...it was a notice that my credit card expiration date had passed.  I just forgot to update it when I got a new card from the bank.  So I happily went along for the rest of the trip and used my E-ZPass again on the way home.  This time, I got the "Call E-ZPass" message.  Turns out, they suspended my account and I soon received a violation notice with something like a $50 fine for using a disabled account.  But in the end, it was all handled properly.  I called and explained what happened, gave them my new expiration date, and they removed the violation and all of the fines from my account.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.