Automatic toll collection (E-ZPass, etc)

Started by SSOWorld, August 06, 2010, 07:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myosh_tino

Quote from: citrus on August 20, 2010, 08:36:59 PM
Fair enough. Though, I never actually use the SoCal toll roads. So unless they charge me for inactivity (haven't used it in a year or so!), I think I'm in the clear.
You may get an e-mail from the BATA asking you to login to your FasTrak account to verify you still want to keep the account open.  My dad signed up for FasTrak but hasn't used it.  He got an e-mail asking if he wanted to keep the account open and if he did, either use it or login to his account.  If he took no action, they were going to close the account and refund his money.  AFAIK, they do not charge an "inactivity fee".

Quote from: mightyace on August 21, 2010, 12:31:22 AM
That's all well and good for now.  But, what about when they "universal" transponder finally arrives?
IF the universal transponder ever arrives, I don't see a need to change that policy.  If you have an account in the SF Bay Area where there are no monthly fees, and all of your toll activity is in, say, Pennsylvania, then I don't see any problem with charging you a maintenance fee.

I think the biggest roadblock to the universal transponder is getting the hundreds (or maybe thousands) of tolling agencies to agree on a single standard and the figuring out a way to pay for the conversion costs.  Because of this, IMO, the universal transponder will never see the light of day.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

mightyace

^^^

Whether we're talking about the mythical "universal transponder" or even the largest real system (EZPass), my problem is that I live far enough away from any of these that my usage will be infrequent, and a single trip could have me using the pass in a different area.

I guess it's just more screw the out of towner mentality.  :angry:

EDIT:
To clarify, when toll roads were all cash, everyone in same vehicle class paid the same amount.  (I'm sure there are a few exceptions, but I don't know of any.)  It didn't matter whether you're in state, out of state, a frequent or occasional user.

Now, you can have multiple tiers:
Just for argument sake, I get the concession for the new Brent Spence Bridge in Cincinnati and decide to use EZPass.

It is now technologically feasible to do something like this:

Toll Chart:

Tolling MethodCost
Brent Spence Bridge Co. EZPass$2.00
Ohio Turnpike EZPass, Indiana I-Zoom$2.50
Other EZ Pass$3.00
Video Toll by Plate (registered users)$4.00 + $3.00 for all transactions in a month
Video Toll by Plate (unregistered)$5.00 + $5.00 processing charge per transaction (waived if you register)

Whereas, 50 years ago it would be cash and one toll amount.

Now, I don't have a problem with "volume" discounts for commuters or even congestion (peak/off-peak) pricing.

But, it just strikes me as wrong to discriminate by residence when no tax money is involved.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.