News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Green Bus Interstate Shield

Started by sammack, August 11, 2010, 12:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammack

Anybody have any idea as to the origin of the green shield?

Why would they use something that has the same green as the guide sign.  Providing no contrast.

agentsteel53

the business loop shield was introduced in a June 27 1958 addition to the then-circulating February 22 1958 revision of the Oct 1957 AASHO interstate manual. 

I have an example of this manual, and the business loop insert is a single double-sided page stapled in the front cover.

the reason for its greenness (specified "standard Interstate green", defined as the exact same color as the background) was so that it matched the outline shields that were specified in 1957 for US and state routes.  Basically, you ended up with an interstate outline shield, and that was the intent.

The 1961 manual went to white shields because drivers were getting confused by the mismatch in color between guide-sign and surface-mounted shields.  Since the business loop shield was green even when mounted on a pole, there was no reason to change its color.  Maybe it should've been changed to white then ... as the vast majority of state and US shields at the time were white.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

yakra

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 11, 2010, 12:43:08 PM...the outline shields that were specified in 1957 for US and state routes.
I'm curious to hear more about this...
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

agentsteel53

Quote from: yakra on August 11, 2010, 01:06:22 PM
I'm curious to hear more about this...

I'll dig up a scan at home - the 1957 AASHO manual specified outline shields on the green signs.  Examples were shown for US routes; state routes were to be "fundamentally similar". 

here's an example from Pennsylvania:

this is a non-standard shield shape.  The 1957 AASHO manual uses the 1948 shield shape (classic US shield, just no crossbar) while this is some variant.  Stimsonite, the button-copy manufacturer, came out with this shape in 1957, that was used in many states.  Here is a Colorado example:

the standardized use of a slightly wider than tall US route shape for both two and three digit routes was not formalized until 1961, with the white shields.

here are outline-shield state route signs from Missouri.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.