News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What city/state do you think has the best freeway landscaping?

Started by UptownRoadGeek, August 17, 2010, 03:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UptownRoadGeek

agentsteel53

I-70 through Glenwood Canyon comes to mind as an excellent integration of natural terrain and freeway elements.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

deathtopumpkins

I really like the landscaping along freeways in Phoenix, AZ. Pretty much anywhere that incorporates designs into it is nice to me.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alps

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 17, 2010, 05:58:46 PM
I really like the landscaping along freeways in Phoenix, AZ. Pretty much anywhere that incorporates designs into it is nice to me.
Second that - those freeways are intentionally landscaped for beauty, and what's interesting is that the landscaping doesn't fit with the natural environment, but creates its own.  I'll throw in the New York parkways (with few exceptions), where the freeway is landscaped as much as possible to blend it in with nature.

BigMattFromTexas

Honestly I was gonna say "Not Texas" when I saw this. Haha, but now that I think of it, we do got some pretty nice landscapes here in Texas ;)
BigMatt

realjd

Quote from: BigMatt on August 18, 2010, 08:56:25 PM
Honestly I was gonna say "Not Texas" when I saw this. Haha, but now that I think of it, we do got some pretty nice landscapes here in Texas ;)
BigMatt

It's not really "landscaping" per se, but I've always thought the architecture on the North Central Expressway in Dallas is pretty cool.

ctsignguy

Based upon what i see in Ohio, i would say no one state has it consistently all over.....but PA and Connecticut seem to go out of the way to have most of the highways landscaped to some degree

Actually the best landscaping i have seen on a highway is an oldie...the Merritt Parkway (CONN 15)....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

yakra

Seconding the NY Pkwys. I've driven criminally few, but love the Saw Mill and Bronx River.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

sandiaman

I nominate the Rock Creek  Parkway  in DC, a beautiful  older    parkway  with European style  high arch bridges  over the roadway  and  follows the course of the creek.   Phoenix  is   a shining  example  of how freeways  can be  beautiful by landscaping.   For a state, California  does a  great job of landscaping  medians  with  oleanders.

Troubleshooter

Virginia. I thought the entire state was rich evergreen forest, until I took an exit ramp to get fuel. Almost the entire length of I-64 (except the cities and in the mountains) has woodlands of evergreens planted in buffer zones along both sides of the highway.

SSOWorld

Quote from: BigMatt on August 18, 2010, 08:56:25 PM
BigMatt
I was going to ask if Frontage roads count as landscaping ;)

I thought the New England states had nice landscaping - and natural at that - nothing but forest in Mass on I-90 until you cross rt 128.  many freeways have trees saturating the median - Just wish the trailblazer signs weren't so ugly. (I-95)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: Troubleshooter on August 27, 2010, 12:35:19 PM
Virginia. I thought the entire state was rich evergreen forest, until I took an exit ramp to get fuel. Almost the entire length of I-64 (except the cities and in the mountains) has woodlands of evergreens planted in buffer zones along both sides of the highway.

There is particularly dark, thickly forested section of Interstate 85 in Virginia between Petersburg and the North Carolina state line.

Ian

Quote from: ctsignguy on August 21, 2010, 02:29:36 PM
Actually the best landscaping i have seen on a highway is an oldie...the Merritt Parkway (CONN 15)....

Agreed. I also like the Taconic State Parkway's landscaping.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Troubleshooter on August 27, 2010, 12:35:19 PM

Really?  :-| I mean, yeah, a lot of our interstates are built through forests (just like in almost every other state), but there are also a considerable number that are NOT surrounded by trees. The state I'm in right now, Connecticut, on the other hand, has a LOT more miles of tree-lined interstate that is so dense you often don't even notice you're in a city, at least on I-84, I-91, and their children.

I personally HATE Virginia's "landscaping" along freeways. With maybe a few small exceptions, the most VDOT ever does is plant a few trees/bushes/wildflowers, that are all dead within a month.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Bickendan

I-84 between Troutdale and Hood River is very enjoyable, just by the natural landscaping.

KEK Inc.

Washington by far.

Here's a more conventional freeway.

Take the road less traveled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.