News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Driving cross country in a few weeks - any issues?

Started by citrus, August 18, 2010, 04:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citrus

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be driving cross-country with a friend for 2 weeks in September and was wondering if there are any major issues (construction, closures, etc.) on my route. Specifically, I'm leaving southern RI early morning Sept 4, arriving San Francisco Sept 18, and then to San Diego Sept 20. We are planning "stops" (some of them just for an hour or so, most of them for a couple days) in: New Britain CT, Philadelphia, Asheville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Austin, Dallas, Clovis NM, 4 corners area. Will be mostly sticking to Interstates and freeways except perhaps Asheville -> Atlanta, and from Clovis through the 4 corners.

To avoid making a second topic, I'm also driving from DC to southern RI on Sunday August 29, and I'm anticipating pretty heavy weekend travel traffic. I'm pretty familiar with North Jersey, NYC, Connecticut, but I'm not so sure about DC -> NYC traffic. A few weeks ago I drove DC -> Princeton NJ and encountered lots of traffic from Baltimore to Philly, and while I stuck on 95 through Philly, the exit to 295 / NJTP was packed solid. I know I can go around everything using 83, 81, 84 but is it going to be worth all that extra mileage?

Thanks in advance. By the way, if anyone's looking for road/travel info or has questions (roadgeek or otherwise on recent developments) from central Jersey through Boston, let me know.... I've driven about 7500 miles around the region in the last 2 months! I read through here a lot but maybe I should post more often....

-Alex

Ace10

This sounds awesome! I've always wanted to do a major roadtrip like the one you're doing - just don't have the time, money, or people to do it with just yet...

I can speak a little for New Orleans. I'm not exactly sure how far along they are with the construction of the I-10 twinspans over Lake Ponchartrain which are situated northwest of New Orleans and south of Slidell. Last I was there was around February of this year, and they had the eastbound side finished but were still working on the westbound side, if I remember correctly. It took them a few years to get to that point, so I have no idea if they're fully finished yet.

Of course, you could also take I-55 south to its southern terminus to I-10, then take I-10 east to New Orleans. I'm not sure on the exact route you're planning to get to/from New Orleans but I have visited there and have driven there numerous times while I was in college in Baton Rouge so I can help with that part of your trip. Just let me know!

Duke87

Do you expect to lose two hours to traffic traveling between Baltimore and Connecticut? Because that's about how much time 83/81/84 adds compared to 95/NJTP (assuming no traffic on either route). I doubt that it's worth it timewise, but it does have the benefit of saving you a lot on tolls.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Duke87 on August 18, 2010, 04:17:31 PM
Do you expect to lose two hours to traffic traveling between Baltimore and Connecticut? Because that's about how much time 83/81/84 adds compared to 95/NJTP (assuming no traffic on either route). I doubt that it's worth it timewise, but it does have the benefit of saving you a lot on tolls.

it's more like an hour and a half.  81 is clogged with trucks, but at least it doesn't have a speed limit of 55 anywhere, like 95 in a lot of places.  You can flat out haul ass on 81.  I've done Boston to DC in 7 1/2 hours via 81.  Don't think I could've achieved that on 95 even though it's shorter.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

iwishiwascanadian

I did Hartford to DC and a great alternative is taking 84-684-Hutch-87 than instead of taking the GWB take the West Side Highway (NY 9A) south into Manhattan onto the Holland Tunnel and then take US-1 all the way down to 95 past Princeton.  It saves headaches/tolls.  Using that route it took us about 7 hours. 

DRMan

Quote from: iwishiwascanadian on August 18, 2010, 05:52:20 PM
I did Hartford to DC and a great alternative is taking 84-684-Hutch-87
If he's going to be using NY 9A, he could also go 84-684-Hutch-Saw Mill Pkwy-Henry Hudson Pkwy (NY 9A), although there is a $3 toll on the Henry Hudson Bridge.

Quote from: iwishiwascanadian on August 18, 2010, 05:52:20 PMinstead of taking the GWB take the West Side Highway (NY 9A) south into Manhattan onto the Holland Tunnel and then take US-1 all the way down to 95 past Princeton.  It saves headaches/tolls.  Using that route it took us about 7 hours.  

No toll on either the GWB or the tunnel heading out of NYC towards NJ.  I can't speak to the time involved with taking compared to the other, as I've never been through the tunnel.

Alps

I think 83-81-78 probably is worth the extra mileage, especially because you then get to bypass NYC on 287 fairly easily.  And you can stop by and visit when you pass 80 on 287.  Anyway, the I-10 spans over LA are not yet finished, but we as roadgeeks love construction, so you'll be happy with some good views.

Regarding NYC routes, if you're heading south, my favorite is 84-91-15-95 at Milford - you can stay on 15 but I like having more exits to keep me busy, vs. falling asleep with all the trees on the Merritt.  Either way, listen to 1010/880 AM for traffic updates, and decide based on "outbound" delays.  The fastest way with no traffic would be staying on 95, but that's rarely the case (11:50 PM on Sunday, for example).  If the Cross Bronx or Bruckner is backed up westbound (that's I-95 SB), get onto the Hutch (use 287 to get over from 95), then take the Cross County.  If there are delays on the Deegan going to the GW (which is 87S-95S to you), then stay on the Cross County to the Henry Hudson - yes you get stuck with a toll, but it's worth the time savings potentially.  (The Deegan ramp costs about 5-10 minutes - not terrible.)

Rarely is it worth it to detour down to one of the tunnels, unless you have a pit stop in NYC.  I'd recommend against FDR Drive, because construction is wreaking havoc on a few stretches with stop and go traffic all day long.

brownpelican

I was in Houston the last week of July. There was work on I-10 at US 59 that caused big backups in both directions. I'm not sure when they will wrap that up.

There is road work in Baton Rouge on I-10 between I-12 and Highland Road on the south side. Periodic road closures do happen at night...the same on I-12 between O'Neal Lane and Denham Springs if you go that way.

Night work is now underway on I-10 between Clearview Parkway and Causeway Blvd. The Twin Spans aren't a problem.

Brandon

Quote from: AstareGod on August 18, 2010, 04:15:12 PM
Of course, you could also take I-55 south to its southern terminus to I-10, then take I-10 east to New Orleans. I'm not sure on the exact route you're planning to get to/from New Orleans but I have visited there and have driven there numerous times while I was in college in Baton Rouge so I can help with that part of your trip. Just let me know!

Or take the longest bridge in the world, the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway.  That's better than I-55, IMHO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

citrus

Quote from: Duke87 on August 18, 2010, 04:17:31 PM
Do you expect to lose two hours to traffic traveling between Baltimore and Connecticut?
Probably not a whole 2 hours, so probably not worth it. I think Steve's suggestion of going up to 78 and 287 around NYC might be a good one though. One problem with going all the way to 84 is that I'm going south enough in RI (Kingston) that I need to leave Connecticut on 95, so I'd have to go south-ish to get there (691, 66, 9) which is a little bit of backtracking. Also on a Sunday afternoon, I'm pretty sure the Tappan Zee will be better than waiting in line for the GWB.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 18, 2010, 04:38:43 PM
81 is clogged with trucks, but at least it doesn't have a speed limit of 55 anywhere, like 95 in a lot of places.  You can flat out haul ass on 81.
There's still that obnoxious long stretch of 55 zone on 84 in NY (and into CT) though, unless that's changed recently.

Quote from: AlpsROADS on August 18, 2010, 09:59:02 PM
...get onto the Hutch (use 287 to get over from 95), then take the Cross County.  If there are delays on the Deegan going to the GW (which is 87S-95S to you), then stay on the Cross County to the Henry Hudson - yes you get stuck with a toll, but it's worth the time savings potentially.  (The Deegan ramp costs about 5-10 minutes - not terrible.)
That's usually what I do, with minor variations. Sometimes I use the Mosholu to go from Henry Hudson to the Deegan, sometimes I take 287 all the way to 87 and take that south (when there are delays on the Hutch...). Rarely I'll take the Merritt from Milford in CT, if there are long delays in Norwalk or Stamford. I'll be headed through here early enough on a Saturday morning that Cross Bronx could be an option, I'll check the traffic. But since I'm going via New Britain, I may as well take 684 to the Hutch.

I don't mind tolls that much, except lines at the tollbooths. Express E-ZPass helps, but often the E-ZPass lanes aren't separated off early enough so I have to wait with all the cash money people anyways....

agentsteel53

Quote from: citrus on August 19, 2010, 09:47:45 AM
There's still that obnoxious long stretch of 55 zone on 84 in NY (and into CT) though, unless that's changed recently.

I'd forgotten about that.  There's about 14 miles in Hartford and then a random 8 miles or so in some random Conn town for no reason.  Hartford even goes down to 50. 

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on August 19, 2010, 08:16:09 AM

Or take the longest bridge in the world, the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway.  That's better than I-55, IMHO.
that's cheating ;)  if you have supports in the middle, it's not a bridge, it's a sequence of bridges! 

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

Another option to consider to avoid the I-95 corridor heading back north is I-83 to York, US 30 to Lancaster, and US 222 to Allentown to pick up I-78.  You're then fairly well situated to take whichever route you choose to get across the Hudson.

Though PennDOT is doing major rehab on the Kutztown bypass (entire thing is single-lane and 45 MPH as a result), the only real problem area is the signal at PA 73.  This is easily avoided by using PA 12 and PA 662 through Reading.

myosh_tino

If you're headed into California on I-80, you'll run into some construction work right at the California/Nevada border.  Expect to have only one lane available for about 4 miles and depending on when you're traveling through there, expect some pretty hefty delays (30 minutes or more).  You will probably see intermittent road work on I-80 from Truckee to Colfax over Donner Summit.  Also, the Donner Summit rest area is closed.  To see upcoming road work on I-80 through the Sierra Nevada mountains go to http://www.getacross80.com/travel_info.php.

Also the bridge toll on the Bay Bridge has changed.  If you're crossing Monday thru Friday from 5-10 am and 3-7 pm the toll is $6.00, otherwise it's $4.00.  If you're crossing on Saturday or Sunday, the toll is $5.00.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

TheStranger

Quote from: myosh_tino on August 19, 2010, 01:30:45 PM

Also the bridge toll on the Bay Bridge has changed.  If you're crossing Monday thru Friday from 5-10 am and 3-7 pm the toll is $6.00, otherwise it's $4.00.  If you're crossing on Saturday or Sunday, the toll is $5.00.

I know that those with Fastrak who are carpooling get a $2.50 toll, but does that apply to all the bridges, and is the 3-per-car minimum for I-80 applicable everywhere for Bay Area carpool lanes?
Chris Sampang

citrus

Quote from: myosh_tino on August 19, 2010, 01:30:45 PM
If you're headed into California on I-80, you'll run into some construction work right at the California/Nevada border.  Expect to have only one lane available for about 4 miles and depending on when you're traveling through there, expect some pretty hefty delays (30 minutes or more).  You will probably see intermittent road work on I-80 from Truckee to Colfax over Donner Summit.  Also, the Donner Summit rest area is closed.  To see upcoming road work on I-80 through the Sierra Nevada mountains go to http://www.getacross80.com/travel_info.php.

Thanks for the link....not sure what route we'll be using to get to California: either 40, 15, or 80, depending on what we want to see. But will keep the 80 construction in mind. I've got a Fastrak for the Bay Area tolls. I'm dropping off my friend in Palo Alto before going to San Francisco, so if I'm coming from the south, I won't even need it.

Quote from: TheStranger on August 19, 2010, 02:28:05 PM
...is the 3-per-car minimum for I-80 applicable everywhere for Bay Area carpool lanes?
Last time I was there (May), it was just 80/580 on the Eastshore Freeway. Also, the restrictions are just for commute hours (roughly 6-9, 3-7), not 24/7 like the SoCal carpool lanes. I don't know about the HOT lanes they're putting in on 580 and 680.

agentsteel53

Quote from: citrus on August 19, 2010, 03:59:20 PM

Thanks for the link....not sure what route we'll be using to get to California: either 40, 15, or 80, depending on what we want to see. But will keep the 80 construction in mind. I've got a Fastrak for the Bay Area tolls. I'm dropping off my friend in Palo Alto before going to San Francisco, so if I'm coming from the south, I won't even need it.

Take one of the more southern Sierra crossings - 120 or 178!

jake@aaroads.com

myosh_tino

Quote from: citrus on August 19, 2010, 03:59:20 PM

Last time I was there (May), it was just 80/580 on the Eastshore Freeway. Also, the restrictions are just for commute hours (roughly 6-9, 3-7), not 24/7 like the SoCal carpool lanes. I don't know about the HOT lanes they're putting in on 580 and 680.
I don't think you need to worry about the 680 or 580 HOT lanes.  The 680 lane is southbound only and won't open until Sept 20th.  Until the 20th, the lane remains a standard carpool lane (2+, 5-9 am, 3-7 pm Mon-Fri).  The 580 lane is still under construction and won't open as a HOT lane until 2011.

The carpool lanes on the approaches to the toll plaza are all 3+ while they are 2+ on the freeways (except I-80).
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Scott5114

If you're sticking to interstates you shouldn't run into any issues in Oklahoma. There is ongoing reconstruction work in Garvin County on I-35 but it's not a major time loss. Be advised that Oklahoma roads are generally shitty though. If you choose to bypass the entire state by cutting straight across from Dallas to Amarillo on US-287, do note that Childress is a well-renowned speed trap.

You should be aware that temperatures in TX/OK can get into the 90s even through September. Autumn-like temperatures often do not begin until late September/early October, and then often stay that way for about two weeks before becoming winter-ish (like 40s, which is generally as "wintery" as Oklahoma gets).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 19, 2010, 11:35:09 AM
Quote from: Brandon on August 19, 2010, 08:16:09 AM

that's cheating ;)  if you have supports in the middle, it's not a bridge, it's a sequence of bridges! 
Not even true if they're structurally connected.

agentsteel53

Quote from: AlpsROADS on August 19, 2010, 09:00:05 PM
Not even true if they're structurally connected.

it's nowhere near the engineering feat if you are allowed to lay down supports ever 100 feet! 

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

You seem be thinking of what most bridge people would call a "span"...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Sykotyk

Here's a tip from someone that's driven out west extensive after being from the east coast. Two lane roads out west are VERY fast moving routes. Much less traveled, much more scenic, and let you get a sense of the small town world the freeways have bypassed. When you leave Dallas, take US287 to US380 (or US70) through Lubbock to Clovis.

Take US84 up to Santa Fe, to the NM502 (through Los Alamos, definitely worth the vista), to US550 toward Farmington to US64 west to US160 in Teec Nos Pos to Four Corners. Go up to US191 to I-70 (through Monticello and Moab. Arches N.P. can be done in a few hours doing a few of the trails, but not the long one to Delicate, only the short one). Go US50 west over the Loneliest Road to Carson City through Lake Tahoe and to Sacramento that way to San Francisco via 80.

Most 2-lane roads out west are 65-75mph (Nevada will be a breeze). Texas is 70+ for all roads during daytime hours (unless in a city or there's a clear reason for a lower speed limit). Utah and New Mexico are 65.

Just my two cents.

citrus

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 19, 2010, 06:56:14 PM
If you're sticking to interstates you shouldn't run into any issues in Oklahoma. There is ongoing reconstruction work in Garvin County on I-35 but it's not a major time loss. Be advised that Oklahoma roads are generally shitty though. If you choose to bypass the entire state by cutting straight across from Dallas to Amarillo on US-287, do note that Childress is a well-renowned speed trap.

You should be aware that temperatures in TX/OK can get into the 90s even through September. Autumn-like temperatures often do not begin until late September/early October, and then often stay that way for about two weeks before becoming winter-ish (like 40s, which is generally as "wintery" as Oklahoma gets).

The direct route probably wouldn't take us through Oklahoma...though we might pass through just to say we've been there. Not too worried about the weather - it's been 90+ and humid for a good portion of the summer here in NJ. Though if we go to Death Valley it will be a different story. More worried about low temps actually since we'll probably be camping around the 4 corners. Last Labor Day we went to Crater Lake in Oregon and were not prepared for lows in the high 20's and even a dusting of snow!

Quote from: Sykotyk on August 20, 2010, 12:45:05 PM
Here's a tip from someone that's driven out west extensive after being from the east coast. Two lane roads out west are VERY fast moving routes.
Yeah, we'll probably be on mostly 2-laners from Dallas to I-15 in Utah, which is fine. I've flown across the deserts in southern CA on deserted 2 laners - as long as the pavement's good.

Does anyone know where the speed limit 80 counties are in TX? If there are any on I-20, we might try to see one west of Dallas, if there is one before US 84.

agentsteel53

Quote from: citrus on August 20, 2010, 01:04:02 PM
Yeah, we'll probably be on mostly 2-laners from Dallas to I-15 in Utah, which is fine. I've flown across the deserts in southern CA on deserted 2 laners - as long as the pavement's good.

some are fast-moving, others are not.  US-6 tends to be clogged with trucks, for example, between I-70 and Salt Lake City.  As does US-95, as a random example, from Needles to Blythe.

QuoteDoes anyone know where the speed limit 80 counties are in TX? If there are any on I-20, we might try to see one west of Dallas, if there is one before US 84.

There are some on 20, but they are west of there, that's for sure.  I don't remember exactly where, but they're really out in the sticks.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.