News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Congress considering higher weight limits for interstate trucks

Started by Stephane Dumas, August 18, 2010, 06:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

I spotted this article on Autoblog http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/18/congress-considering-higher-weight-limits-for-interstate-trucks/  Personnaly, I think it's not a good idea considering the conditions of some roads and bridges. In Quebec, we got even higher weight limits except for thaw period when the winter ends. And knowing the shape of our roads here..... :banghead:

mightyace

^^^

Before I looked at the article, I wondered what the angle was as this type of legislation is more likely to happen during Republican administrations.  (pro-business change)

But, it's not being done from the "business" angle but the "green" angle.

QuoteThe obvious rationale is with fewer trucks running with heavier loads, overall fuel consumption would be cut.

However, there are a number of downsides to what looks like a "green" change.

Of course, you can expect the Association of American Railroads to heavily oppose this.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Scott5114

Plus pretty much any highway agency or engineer's association. Sure, fuel consumption will be cut, but the energy saved will just have to be dumped into reconstruction of highway infrastructure damaged by heavy trucks. Plus less fuel sold = less gas tax revenue, and that's already short as it is, never mind the fact that there will be the need for more construction due to the heavy loads...

But I'm sure you all knew that already.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

allniter89

Take a look at how Michigan highways are beaten up. Per the Michigan DOT website, Michigan allows up to 164,000 lbs on the highways. They further state these heavy vehicles make up only 5% of trucks  and the Michigan DOT believes because heavy trucks have up to 11 axles the weight is distributed equally on the road surface, so damage is minimal. :banghead:. I think Michigan interstates are the worst in the nation, especially riding in a 18wheeler.  :ded:
More cargo weight= longer distance to stop or slow down, less manuevability, more damage in a collision, extra wear and tear on truck and roads= bad idea!
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

mightyace

^^^

Or to put it another way, let's stop trying to make rubber tired trains that don't have a fixed guideway!

Chris

80,000 lbs or 36 metric tonnes is rather low. Most European countries limit trucks to 40 - 45 tonnes and most bridges are capable of at least 50 tonnes (110,000 pounds). They also drive with 130,000 lbs in some countries. The main problem to pavement is axle load, not overall weight, unless your bridges are really bad designed. It sounds weird to me if bridges cannot handle at least 110,000 lbs.

Scott5114

Quote from: allniter89 on August 19, 2010, 11:05:27 PM
I think Michigan interstates are the worst in the nation, especially riding in a 18wheeler.  :ded:

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mightyace

^^^

OK Interesting map.  But what point are you trying to make?  :confused:

Chris

That Oklahoma's roads are probably worse than in Michican't.

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 20, 2010, 09:31:31 AM
Quote from: allniter89 on August 19, 2010, 11:05:27 PM
I think Michigan interstates are the worst in the nation, especially riding in a 18wheeler.  :ded:
Map of Oklahoma

Illinois's interstates aren't much better.  I usually find Michigan's (strange as it may seem to some) to be in better shape than IDOT's.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

mightyace

Most southern states interstate are pretty good.  At least compared to ones up north!

In my travels in the last year, I've been in Alabama, Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida.  The interstates in all of them are very good with the exception of North Carolina.  The stretch of I-40 between Greensboro and Hickory was horrible.  The concrete had so many bumps, I thought that one or more of my tires was going down!

Brandon

Quote from: mightyace on August 20, 2010, 05:16:06 PM
Most southern states interstate are pretty good.  At least compared to ones up north!

In my travels in the last year, I've been in Alabama, Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida.  The interstates in all of them are very good with the exception of North Carolina.  The stretch of I-40 between Greensboro and Hickory was horrible.  The concrete had so many bumps, I thought that one or more of my tires was going down!

If Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, et.al. had to put up with freeze-thaw cycles, their freeways might be in even worse shape.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

allniter89

^^^^^ yeah, yeah yeah excuses, excuses  :poke: :-D (just kidding)
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

exit322

Quote from: allniter89 on August 20, 2010, 11:17:21 PM
^^^^^ yeah, yeah yeah excuses, excuses  :poke: :-D (just kidding)

I don't think that's an excuse so much as a "they don't do any work, either, but they don't have the elements That State Up North has."

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Brandon on August 20, 2010, 06:02:36 PM
Quote from: mightyace on August 20, 2010, 05:16:06 PM

If Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, et.al. had to put up with freeze-thaw cycles, their freeways might be in even worse shape.

No, they would be called Louisiana.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hm insulators

Don't forget California's freeways are pretty chewed up, particularly in urban areas.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.