News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Flat brick medians?

Started by bugo, September 05, 2010, 10:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

On US 69 just north of Muskogee, OK, the median is made of bricks but is not raised and is level with the travel lanes.  Are there any other examples of this?

Bryant5493

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Ian

Never seen a flat brick median, however the borough of Media, PA has a few brick crosswalks.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Scott5114

Part of Main Street in Norman, OK has a brick median. It is used as a left turn lane. Main Street in Purcell, OK also has a brick median, which in this case is used for parking.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

Quote from: PennDOTFan on September 06, 2010, 12:02:55 AM
Never seen a flat brick median, however the borough of Media, PA has a few brick crosswalks.

There are brick crosswalks in Brookside in Tulsa on Peoria.

Post Merge: September 06, 2010, 09:29:07 AM

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 06, 2010, 12:17:40 AM
Part of Main Street in Norman, OK has a brick median. It is used as a left turn lane. Main Street in Purcell, OK also has a brick median, which in this case is used for parking.

Maybe it's an Okie thing.

vdeane

NY 590 north of Titus Ave used to have something like this.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

RoadWarrior56

I have designed five-lane section of roadway with colored stamped-asphalt used in the "chicken lane" between intersections, that looks like bricks.  It is currently under construction.  The County (our client), is going forward with it as a test, to see if they want to implement the concept in more locations.

oscar

Quote from: bugo on September 05, 2010, 10:58:50 PM
On US 69 just north of Muskogee, OK, the median is made of bricks but is not raised and is level with the travel lanes.  Are there any other examples of this?

IIRC, AK 3 is like that from the Seward Meridian exit west to downtown Wasilla, on a segment that Alaska DOT&PF decided to improve but not freeway-ize like the segments to the east.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

yakra

Starting to show up more & more in Maine. ME26 around  Gray comes to mind. Although they're not real bricks, just asphalt pressed into a brick-looking shape, and painted red...
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

oscar

Quote from: yakra on September 12, 2010, 12:44:53 AM
Starting to show up more & more in Maine. ME26 around  Gray comes to mind. Although they're not real bricks, just asphalt pressed into a brick-looking shape, and painted red...
Not in the median, but when Pennsylvania Ave. NW in D.C. between the Capitol and the White House was completely rehabbed just after the 2000 election, it got ugly faux brick crosswalks, only with reddish concrete with a brick pattern pressed on it soon after the concrete was poured.  (My office at the time, on 601 Pennsylvania Ave. NW had a great view of the construction work, and the Inaugural Parade after it was all done.)  One of the crosswalks got a noticeable tire track, when someone drove on it before the concrete had completely set.  That and the other crosswalks were replaced several years later with less-obviously-fake brick crosswalks. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

DRMan

They just put some in on Indigo Hill Rd at NH 9 in Somersworth, an an intersection that was just redone to accommodate a new CVS.  Looks like stamped asphalt painted a kinda-brickish red.

I've seen them in Maine also, the intersection of ME 91 and US 1 comes to mind.  Again, stamped asphalt painted red, except the paint is wearing off.  Here's a look from when the paint was still in decent shape:  http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ME-91+%26+US-1,+York,+ME&sll=43.263884,-70.878663&sspn=0.007125,0.013797&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=U.S.+1+%26+Maine+91,+York,+Maine+03909&ll=43.150785,-70.673997&spn=0.007138,0.013797&z=16&layer=c&cbll=43.150732,-70.6739&panoid=fhAIBn2trH47Xx2WW56hhw&cbp=12,162.99,,0,5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.