News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NON reflective button copy & Pipe gantries

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 11, 2010, 10:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

I had a chance to drive I-84 in CT at night and noticed that the few dark green non-reflective button copy BGSes are easier to read than the reflective ones.  How about your area?

If you have a chance drive I-84 in Waterbury, only 5 or so left. (WB Exit 24 & Exit 23)  (EB signs on C&D road and CT-69 off Exit 23)

Also,

CT has been putting up pipe-style gantries lately like there is no tomorrow.  That is great, but a lot of the signs barely stretch out over the right shoulder and a lot are obscured by trees or not that noticable.  Are they being cheap and by not paying for the extra pipe to extend it over the travel lanes at least?  
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Alps

I sorta agree - the reflective background can wash out the button copy letters.  On the other hand, that requires the button copy to be clean.  If it's dirty, which happens a lot in snowy states like up here, then the reflective background helps because the letters themselves are non-reflective.  And this is why reflective lettering is taking hold. (:

TheStranger

Quote from: AlpsROADS on September 12, 2010, 12:33:25 AM
I sorta agree - the reflective background can wash out the button copy letters.  On the other hand, that requires the button copy to be clean.  If it's dirty, which happens a lot in snowy states like up here, then the reflective background helps because the letters themselves are non-reflective.  And this is why reflective lettering is taking hold. (:

Isn't button copy not supposed to be used with a reflective background in the first place?  (i.e. CalTrans classic forest green underneath button copy)  That way, at night, the non-reflective portion doesn't brighten up anywhere as much as the button copy legend, while at day, the contrast is much better than an all-reflective surface (something that makes the new reflective signs in Sacramento frustrating at times - severe glare at the wrong sun angles).
Chris Sampang

J N Winkler

There was never a specific prohibition against using button copy with retroreflective sheeting and in fact that was the Arizona DOT standard for many years.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Alps

CT and NJ are largely still signed with reflective button copy.  Ohio is slowly losing its tremendous amount of same.  Non-reflective backgrounds were almost completely out by the mid-80s.

SignBridge

New York traditionally signed with button-copy and reflective sheeting and I never noticed any problem reading the legend at night. New Jersey years ago did the same as Calif. At night the button-copy would contrast well with what appeared  to be a "black" background. Both were effective, though I always preferred NY's bright green.

KEK Inc.

I-680 in Walnut creek has a combination of pipe gantries and dark green signs.  They're being lazy about adding exit tabs, so there's a reflective exit tab on a dark green button-copy sign. 
Take the road less traveled.

cu2010

Quote from: KEK Inc. on September 15, 2010, 08:41:00 PM
I-680 in Walnut creek has a combination of pipe gantries and dark green signs.  They're being lazy about adding exit tabs, so there's a reflective exit tab on a dark green button-copy sign. 

That's not lazy; that's cost-cutting. No sense in replacing a perfectly good sign.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.