News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Can you imagine about half the members here didn't post even once?

Started by Richard3, February 25, 2021, 06:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2021, 09:12:08 AM
Quote from: webny99 on March 15, 2021, 08:56:38 PM
I'm not sure what's more embarrassing ... or the fact that I've spent so much time here that I've blown well past 4444....

Now imagine how I feel.

For what it's worth, post count does not equal value of contribution.  In many ways, I'm a bit of a misfit on this forum.  In fact, let me count the ways:

I've only met anybody else on here one time, at a local roadmeet here in Wichita.  I've only driven outside the Central and Mountain time zones four times.  I don't collect old maps.  I'm fine with US-400's number, and I-99's number doesn't make me angry.  I've never bought a road sign.  I don't know how highways are funded.  My sign illustration skills don't extend beyond MSPaint.  I usually vote Republican.  I'm kind of glad I was never on m.t.r., and I don't think the moderation on this forum is too heavy-handed.  I don't dream up fictional route numbering systems.  I find stoplight timing to be a big yawn.  And, most egregious of all, I like Clearview.

But they haven't kicked me out yet.  There are others with more knowledge than I have, more experience, and more respect.  But what those members don't have is the same unhealthy level of online time wasting that I've managed to achieve.  That, after all, is what post count really measures.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 15, 2021, 08:38:35 PM

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 15, 2021, 07:54:07 PM
In the wee hours of the morning once, I briefly added 100,000 to agentsteel's post count just to screw with people who care about who has the most posts on the forum, but then I realized it would prematurely display what comes after "Likes the forum way, way, too much", so I backed the change out.

Woah now I'm curious. Maybe Kophger or HB will get it when they are 90, it's probably 100000 posts.

Nah.  If my overall daily average holds steady, I stand to reach 100k posts at age 87.  I probably won't even live that long.
Someone might hit it, maybe that Max guy with over 10,000 posts and an average of 7 a day.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SkyPesos

Anyone else have a distorted posts per day number like mine? I made an account in 2019, but didn't start posting until mid December 2020.

kphoger

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 16, 2021, 11:21:50 AM
Anyone else have a distorted posts per day number like mine?

No clue.  I'd never even looked at my post count until someone mentioned I was "on the leader board".  I neither know nor care if it's distorted.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Anyone else have a distorted posts per day number like mine? I made an account in 2019, but didn't start posting until mid December 2020.

Alps does. 34.118 posts per day thanks to the fake join date of 2020-02-02.

(Other than that, though, it's not really "distorted". Factoring in the days spent browsing, offline, or otherwise away from the forum is part of what makes it relevant as a long-term metric.)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on March 16, 2021, 11:27:43 AM

(Other than that, though, it's not really "distorted". Factoring in the days spent browsing, offline, or otherwise away from the forum is part of what makes it relevant as a long-term metric.)
My post average would be closer to 7-10 posts per day but I take long breaks from the forum often.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2021, 09:12:08 AM
For what it's worth, post count does not equal value of contribution.  In many ways, I'm a bit of a misfit on this forum.

Being a misfit means you have more things to say that nobody else has said before.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Well given that I'm 17, still haven't gotten my drivers license, and have never met anyone on this forum, I'm probably a bigger misfit.

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on March 16, 2021, 11:27:43 AM

It was a really cool stat on 2020-02-03.

jeffandnicole

The results here are typical of most forums and groups.  Most people like to lurk.  On some of my Facebook groups, there may be several hundred or a few thousand people, but very few post actively.  One or two of the township/community pages may have the most active participation % wise, but others I forget I'm even on because they're so quiet.

Quote from: webny99 on February 25, 2021, 08:00:55 AM
I suspect many of those 1944 members who have never posted registered because they were curious about Fictional Highways, Travel, or other boards that aren't visible to non-members.

Impossible, because non-members don't know those board exist. They're basically 'Easter Eggs' members find after they join.  The new members that pay the initiation fee and bring bagels find even more goodies.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 17, 2021, 09:44:11 AM
The results here are typical of most forums and groups.  Most people like to lurk.  On some of my Facebook groups, there may be several hundred or a few thousand people, but very few post actively.  One or two of the township/community pages may have the most active participation % wise, but others I forget I'm even on because they're so quiet.

I suspect many of those 1944 members who have never posted registered because they were curious about Fictional Highways, Travel, or other boards that aren't visible to non-members.

Impossible, because non-members don't know those board exist. They're basically 'Easter Eggs' members find after they join.  The new members that pay the initiation fee and bring bagels find even more goodies.
We talk about these boards enough on the other ones so I found out pretty quick that they existed. Also some threads get moved there, and everyone can see that.

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 17, 2021, 09:44:11 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 17, 2021, 09:54:31 AM

We talk about these boards enough on the other ones so I found out pretty quick that they existed. Also some threads get moved there, and everyone can see that.

Yes. Anytime someone links to a fictional thread, for example, non-members get an error message stating that what they're looking for is off-limits to them. This happens more than you might think, especially with the Place That Shall Not Be Named. Naturally, this makes people curious. I know it's one of several reasons why I decided to sign up.

There are other pages off-limits to non-members too, like (who would've guessed?) the members page. And yet, the username on every post links to that user's profile page, so if you try clicking any of those while logged out, you'll get the same off-limits message.

kphoger

This means hundreds of people are joining the forum just so they can read a detailed history of Magical Place of Destiny and its secret war with Nimbya.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alex

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 25, 2021, 03:00:22 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 25, 2021, 11:57:32 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on February 25, 2021, 11:54:42 AM
Damn. This thread was kinda similar to asking mine.

Like agentsteel53 hasnt posted in years

Yet Jake is very active in the road world still, there is a lot more out there than just AAroads. 

He's too busy running his replica-shield empire out in the desert to bother with the likes of us ;)

Several years ago I asked Jake about why he stopped posting after being one of the most active members. He told me that he pretty much got what he needed out of the forum, i.e. sign finds, route histories, etc.

I text with him on occassion and he remains very busy with life, the sign business, etc.

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 15, 2021, 07:54:07 PM
In the wee hours of the morning once, I briefly added 100,000 to agentsteel's post count just to screw with people who care about who has the most posts on the forum, but then I realized it would prematurely display what comes after "Likes the forum way, way, too much", so I backed the change out.

With quite a few achieving it, there really should be another rank added with the "likes the forum way..." rank pushed further up in the required post tally. Was long lost Zeffy the one who came up with that rank?

Scott5114

I think I was the one who added it. I remember it initially topped out with Interstate, and I think I added "Likes the forum" as a sort-of-joke, since at the time it seemed doubtful anyone was going to reach it any time soon (I think I saw the same phrasing on some other forum I had visited). This was the same way the next rank was added.

I am of two minds when it comes to adding something between "Interstate" and "Likes the forum".  While, yes, the forum has been around long enough that we are getting more and more people reaching 10,000 posts, that is still enough of a milestone that crossing it means being around for a several-year period, so I think only a small percentage of people will end up naturally crossing that threshold no matter how long the forum is around. Also, it's kind of hard to think of something road-related that's above "Interstate" and not already used.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

It also still means you like the forum way too much.   :nod:
Male pronouns, please.

GaryV

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 18, 2021, 12:19:36 AM
... something between "Interstate" and "Likes the forum"
... hard to think of something road-related that's above "Interstate" and not already used.

Autobahn?

formulanone

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on March 18, 2021, 10:16:44 AM

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 18, 2021, 12:19:36 AM
... something between "Interstate" and "Likes the forum"
... hard to think of something road-related that's above "Interstate" and not already used.

Autobahn?

Hypotenuse?

Fritzway?
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Some forums have special ranks for exact post counts (such as 1337, which goes back to 1000-2000 as soon as you post again). Could something like that happen here?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SkyPesos

Another forum that I participate in awards forum ranks by something called 'trophy points', which is based off milestones for post count and number of likes you received. This is their list of trophy points. They stretch their forum ranks out a bit more, though their forum ranks aren't anything unique (like forum nerd), unlike here with road types and "like the forum way..."

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on March 18, 2021, 10:59:54 AM
Some forums have special ranks for exact post counts (such as 1337, which goes back to 1000-2000 as soon as you post again). Could something like that happen here?
Which numbers? 238? 666?

tolbs17

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 18, 2021, 12:55:41 PM
Which numbers? 238? 666?
or 1234 or 2009 i'm sure.

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 18, 2021, 12:55:41 PM
Which numbers? 238? 666?
yeahno

1995hoo

It might be nice to recognize post counts ending with -69.  :evilgrin:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 18, 2021, 06:00:29 PM
It might be nice to recognize post counts ending with -69.  :evilgrin:

Trust me, that would be too much work.  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.