News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Opening to the TV Series "Dallas" (1978 and 2012)

Started by ZLoth, November 19, 2023, 12:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

So, I'm not really a Dallas fan, but having moved here almost five years ago, there has been some locations that I've been trying to identify.

Here is the Season 1 opening from the 1978 Series:

And here is the Season 1 opening from the 2012 Revival:

The first scene is the iconic shot of the city skyline. I've been trying to place the angle here, and it appears that both versions use the same angle: Based upon this image from Google Maps, I think the shot has the S Houston Street/Trinity River Bridge on the left, and the Jefferson Blvd Viaduct on the right, especially with the unique roof of the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center. Am I right?

The "gold towers"? Those are off US-75. I pass by those on the rare occasions I drive into downtown Dallas.

That big black building at 10 seconds into the original opening? That happens to be next to the Reunion tower, and is the Hyatt Regency Hotel.

The "suspension bridge" that you see 23 seconds into the revival opening? It has to be the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge on the Woodall Rogers Freeway that becomes Texas Route 366. The Margaret McDermitt Bridge does not match up at all.

Am I right in my assessment?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

-- US 175 --

Correct on all queries.  With you being a Dallas/Dallas newbie I figured you'd have more location questions.  Now with the original series available streaming on-demand on Freevee, you can go back and look for local spots whenever you want.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.