News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New SR 520 Floating Bridge

Started by Bruce, January 13, 2016, 08:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Bruce

Now that we are all comfortable with the new west approach bridge (north), it's time for WSDOT to switch it to bi-directional use. The south side, low-level approach will be closed on October 11 and demolished to make way for a new approach structure. The HOV lanes will now end prematurely for a few years to squeeze four lanes onto the bridge.

WSDOT is also re-doing the Montlake interchange, which means a loss of connections on a rotating basis. The end result:

jakeroot

2023 is going to be a great year:

* the 520 will be almost completely rebuilt, minus the Portage Bay section (a big minus, but that'll come soon enough)
* significant progress will have been made on the 167 and 509 projects
* Link blue line to near-Redmond!

2024 looks brilliant too:

* 405 ETL lanes to Renton
* Link red line extension to Federal Way
* Link red/blue line extension to Lynnwood

I'm sure there's plenty of other things too. I hope I'm not moving away any time soon. Too much exciting stuff going on!

kkt

I'm looking forward to 2021 and the light rail completion to Northgate!  Rail station about 10 minutes walk from my house!  Downtown in 30 minutes even in rush hour!  (Currently 30 minutes in rush hour MIGHT get you across the Ship Canal.)

Bruce

2024 is going to be mind-blowing. I hope they do a simultaneous opening of Lynnwood and Federal Way just so that the first train can party at both ends of the region.

I don't want to stay in Marysville until then, but I guess I'd be fine with somewhere in South County with Link.

Bruce

Another old (but seemingly current) plan for the configuration of SR 520 around Montlake for the next few months. The temporary Lk Washington Blvd ramp is pretty wild.

ErmineNotyours

jakeroot

I just saw recently that the Montlake Lid is getting its girders placed, and traffic is to be shifted over on top of the lid to replace the exiting overpasses once the lid is structurally sound. I am very interested to see how traffic is going to be shifted, as it seems like a couple of very tight turns.

bing101

jakeroot

Quote from: bing101 on March 06, 2021, 10:33:16 AM
https://www.q13fox.com/news/sr-520-bridge-over-lake-washington-to-be-closed-in-both-directions-this-weekend

Update on the SR-520 is closed to make upgrades according on WA-520.

They are continuing installation of the girders to support the Montlake Lid.

I got some video passing underneath them last Friday. Let's see if I can upload them.

jakeroot

Quote from: jakeroot on March 06, 2021, 01:17:39 PM
I got some video passing underneath them last Friday. Let's see if I can upload them.

And here we go:

https://youtu.be/Du9_jFk_4SQ

kkt

Thanks!  Looking forward to the lid being done.

stevashe

Nice video Jake, looks like it's progressing nicely! Admittedly I'm excited to see the signs go up since I had a bit of a hand in reviewing them though that's definitely still a ways out.

jakeroot

Thanks fellas!

Speaking of the signs, you can actually hear me laughing early on at the faded UW logo. Not sure what caused it, but hopefully they fix the issue for the next series of signs.

kkt

That generation of UW logo can't fade fast enough for me.  Great logo for intercollegiate athletics, but I wish they'd go back to the columns for UW as a whole.

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on March 09, 2021, 04:08:24 PM
That generation of UW logo can't fade fast enough for me.  Great logo for intercollegiate athletics, but I wish they'd go back to the columns for UW as a whole.

Just the 'W'? I thought that logo had, in one way or another, been the logo for sometime now?

kkt

Those are the football/intercollegiate sports logos.  During the 1990s a logo based on the four columns of the sylvan theatre (and featured on the UW coat of arms) was used as the university's logo.  A previous UW president who has since gone on to head the NCAA didn't think the university needed a logo separate from the football team, so they created an administration team to seek out and destroy any remaining use of, or stationery with, the columns logo.

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on March 09, 2021, 11:58:51 PM
Those are the football/intercollegiate sports logos.  During the 1990s a logo based on the four columns of the sylvan theatre (and featured on the UW coat of arms) was used as the university's logo.  A previous UW president who has since gone on to head the NCAA didn't think the university needed a logo separate from the football team, so they created an administration team to seek out and destroy any remaining use of, or stationery with, the columns logo.

Hmm, I see. Was it related to the seal?

As a UW-Tacoma student, the columns never personally meant much to me. In fact, I only learned of their existence during graduation last year, which was virtual and broadcast from those columns.

kkt

Quote from: jakeroot on March 10, 2021, 01:15:31 AM
Quote from: kkt on March 09, 2021, 11:58:51 PM

Hmm, I see. Was it related to the seal?

As a UW-Tacoma student, the columns never personally meant much to me. In fact, I only learned of their existence during graduation last year, which was virtual and broadcast from those columns.

Yes, the columns were used partly because of the seal, and they used a couple of variations as a logo, one with four columns and one with just one.

I see why it wouldn't mean much.  Maybe that was part of the reason for adopting the W.

Bruce

The Montlake Bridge is closing to vehicular traffic for a month beginning in August for long-overdue maintenance. Wonder how much strain it will place on the side streets along Portage Bay.

https://wsdotblog.blogspot.com/2021/03/seattles-montlake-bridge-getting-some.html

kkt

Some, but August is a dead time... most UW summer classes are over and fall term hasn't started yet.

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on March 24, 2021, 12:59:31 AM
Some, but August is a dead time... most UW summer classes are over and fall term hasn't started yet.

Plus, who knows if UW will even be doing in-person instruction. We've been online-only for a year now. Spring quarter is already confirmed to be online-only.

kkt

By fall, it seems quite possible that enough people will be vaccinated that there will be herd immunity.  Unless a variant that doesn't mind the vaccines pops up.

Bruce

WSDOT is finally preparing to open the eastbound approach bridge from the Montlake side. It's now being used by onramp traffic from the Montlake interchange and will be open to all eastbound travelers next month. The westbound bridge will be widened to its final configuration (HOV + 2 GP + actual shoulders) later this year.

https://wsdotblog.blogspot.com/2023/07/new-day-new-way-montlake.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.