News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 59B in Texarkana

Started by bugo, May 15, 2015, 09:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Mapquest shows a US 59B along US 67 and US 71 from I-30 to I-369. Is this correct or just a typical mapo? I know there used to be "US 59B" (not Business 59) signs southbound on State Line Ave with no accompanying US 71 shields, but I have no idea if they're still there.

US71

Quote from: bugo on May 15, 2015, 09:33:32 AM
Mapquest shows a US 59B along US 67 and US 71 from I-30 to I-369. Is this correct or just a typical mapo? I know there used to be "US 59B" (not Business 59) signs southbound on State Line Ave with no accompanying US 71 shields, but I have no idea if they're still there.

I've seen one or two US 59 shields with US 71 on State Line Ave south of I-30, but no 59B or Business 59 signs.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

The 59B sign was, strangely enough, from Texas. Every other business highway in Texas that I've seen is "BUSINESS xx" with a letter at the bottom of the shield.

US71

Quote from: bugo on May 15, 2015, 03:17:33 PM
The 59B sign was, strangely enough, from Texas. Every other business highway in Texas that I've seen is "BUSINESS xx" with a letter at the bottom of the shield.

Business XX is standard, but I've seen XX B in a few locations.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bwana39

Quote from: bugo on May 15, 2015, 09:33:32 AM

I know this is really old, but I know why this signage was done this way.

Back thirty years ago, the proposal was to build the " NEW US-71" following the southwest loop around town.
This https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=14100.msg2598600#msg2598600 goes deeper into it.

For what it is worth, that appears to be the last US-71 minute order in Texas.  In a nutshell, Texas needed a US-Highway for North Stateline. There is minimal to no signage on Stateline south of I-30 on either side. There ARE still some US-59 (Not business)signs on the Arkansas side, but not in Texas The 2 or 3 signs on this stretch of Stateline in Texas do say US-71..
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.