I-14 in Texas

Started by Grzrd, November 21, 2016, 05:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 10, 2021, 05:15:29 PM
Well, that, and if you're a political leader in Houston or Austin, you've got a lot of stuff on your plate. The mayor of San Angelo probably has nothing better to do but try and bug members of Congress to build an Interstate through their town.

At least in Austin, they've got Franklin's brisket on their plates as well!  Seriously, that's a damn good point -- considering Houston planners are probably reeling from the Fed rejection of the I-45 reroute, and their Austin counterparts are simply dealing with the I-35 situation (cap? reroute? it's all too confusing!!!) as well as ever-increasing congestion in general.   The San Angelo mayor is probably on the phone to his Midland and/or Odessa colleagues on a regular basis trying to nail down both I-14 and the P2P -- just so somewhere down the line he can have a few of the problems plaguing Austin right now!

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: sparker on August 10, 2021, 06:09:01 PM
Well, that, and if you're a political leader in Houston or Austin, you've got a lot of stuff on your plate. The mayor of San Angelo probably has nothing better to do but try and bug members of Congress to build an Interstate through their town.

At least in Austin, they've got Franklin's brisket on their plates as well!  Seriously, that's a damn good point -- considering Houston planners are probably reeling from the Fed rejection of the I-45 reroute, and their Austin counterparts are simply dealing with the I-35 situation (cap? reroute? it's all too confusing!!!) as well as ever-increasing congestion in general.   The San Angelo mayor is probably on the phone to his Midland and/or Odessa colleagues on a regular basis trying to nail down both I-14 and the P2P -- just so somewhere down the line he can have a few of the problems plaguing Austin right now!

The Salt Lick is way better.

sparker

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 10, 2021, 06:12:49 PM

Since you're a local, I'll take you at your word and try it the next time I'm through town (visiting cousins down in Lake Jackson).  Question -- do they have tri-tip as well; gotten more into that lately (bunch of local BBQ's featuring it up here).  Less chance of getting an overly fatty slice!  Back to I-14:  Have heard vague rumors that some Austin/Round Rock folks want a branch down US 79 from the I-14 corridor in the Hearne area to metro Austin (either toll 130 or I-35) to connect to the eastward part of that corridor (i.e. Bryan/State College).  Any rumblings of this locally -- or is the whole I-14 concept considered "out of sight/out of mind" to Austin folks?

bwana39

We were gonna do Franklin's but they took vacation the week we were down there. Decided on Schoepf's in Belton instead
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Thegeet

Quote from: sparker on August 10, 2021, 01:53:59 PM
Quote from: Thegeet on August 10, 2021, 09:50:32 AM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on August 09, 2021, 08:49:42 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 06, 2021, 11:03:59 AM
Quote from: sparker on August 05, 2021, 09:45:00 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 05, 2021, 09:23:47 PM
Sigh... more suffix madness.  Why must Congress continue to ruin the numbering of my beloved interstate system?  Pretty soon it will be as bad as the US routes! :ded:

So many roads to nowhere in west Texas, too.  I-14N makes sense, I can see I-14S if they want to make a San Antonio and Houston bypass, but what the heck is up with those north-south routes?

Hey -- even with the "trident" 69 split and these two (gag!) I-14 branches (I'd call the south one a twig!) -- PLUS the possibility of a P2P/I-27 split that would have the effect of 2 multiplexed suffixed routes (14N & 27W), it's still not as bad as the original 1958 Interstate numbering scheme, with 80N hitting I-5 some 600 miles north of 80! -- and other splits of 70, 80, and even, for a while 90 -- with most of them "single-ended", not returning to the parent.  At least, except for the MN 35E/W splits, the phenomenon is confined to Texas; no sign of the practice being contagious -- no "delta variants" to spread to NC, IL, or other states historically prone to commissioning new Interstate corridors.  Although personally I think it's kinda silly, it's just Texas being Texas; iconoclastic to the end!

Downtown San Angelo will have NORTH BL-27E and WEST BL-14N.  The leg going due south from about Mason to Junction could be I-27EE14SE!!

It's not safe to post your password...
I didn't see any passwords.

It's a snarky comment about computer-generated passwords -- like the "interim" sort a site supplies you when you've forgotten your real password -- generally a quasi-random combination of numbers & letters (and the occasional symbol) -- resembling the I-27/I-14 combinations spoofed here.
Oh my good. How did I not cache that? That's the password to my rice cooker.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: sparker on August 10, 2021, 10:10:59 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 10, 2021, 06:12:49 PM

Since you're a local, I'll take you at your word and try it the next time I'm through town (visiting cousins down in Lake Jackson).  Question -- do they have tri-tip as well; gotten more into that lately (bunch of local BBQ's featuring it up here).  Less chance of getting an overly fatty slice!  Back to I-14:  Have heard vague rumors that some Austin/Round Rock folks want a branch down US 79 from the I-14 corridor in the Hearne area to metro Austin (either toll 130 or I-35) to connect to the eastward part of that corridor (i.e. Bryan/State College).  Any rumblings of this locally -- or is the whole I-14 concept considered "out of sight/out of mind" to Austin folks?

Never had tri-tip.

About the I-14 rumblings, this is the first I have heard about it, but not the first time I have heard US-79 come up are a potential freeway corridor. 

jbnv

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 11, 2021, 10:47:16 AM
About the I-14 rumblings, this is the first I have heard about it, but not the first time I have heard US-79 come up are a potential freeway corridor.

Shouldn't surprise anyone. There's no direct route between Austin and Bryan/College Station, much less a freeway.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

armadillo speedbump

But still no freeway needed.  College Station is only the center of a cult, not the universe.  Ridiculous that they got a politically driven BFE stop included on the Dallas-Houston high speed rail project, solely to sooth their inferiority complex.  It certainly wasn't for potential ridership (suburban park and ride lots at future Loop 9 and Beltway 8 or Grand Parkway would easily generate 10 times as many riders, probably a much bigger multiplier.  That's a big weakness that will probably be added soon after the project opens to below expectation loads.  DFW, Bush, and Hobby airports are easier to reach for a big percentage of DFW and Houston, and fighting the traffic much of the day to get to the downtown Dallas station a further disincentive.  Adding those 2 stops should only increase total trip time by 10 minutes unless they screw up boarding procedures (a lot more doors to simultaneously use than on an airplane), and cut that in half if most trains skip the low demand Aggie Memorial Middle of Nowhere station.)

On the road side, 21 already needs widening from San Marcos to Bastrop.  4-lane the rest of the way to BCS and the Rockdale-future I-14 portion of 79 would be good enough, much cheaper, and serve a lot more users than upgrading a single Austin-BCS corridor to a freeway.

hotdogPi

College Station is one of the largest cities in the US with no freeway connection to the rest of the system, excluding large suburbs lying between freeways. That said, it should connect to Houston.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

bwana39

Quote from: 1 on August 11, 2021, 01:31:38 PM
College Station is one of the largest cities in the US with no freeway connection to the rest of the system, excluding large suburbs lying between freeways. That said, it should connect to Houston.

It isn't all that far off.

Bryan / College Station were a lot like Greenville (the County Seat of Hunt County) and Commerce the college town a few miles away the first time I went there.  That was 40 yeas ago more or less. A town of 25,000 and a town with about 2,500 people + under 10K students.

By the time my kids were there, they had grown together, College Station was larger, and they were both still growing. My youngest and his wife would still be there if there had been enough jobs.

Bryan / College Station percentagewise has grown faster than Austin. Austin's growth, too, is from University graduates staying.

GigEm and Break Em Off!

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: bwana39 on August 11, 2021, 02:20:13 PM

Bryan / College Station were a lot like Greenville (the County Seat of Hunt County) and Commerce the college town a few miles away the first time I went there.  That was 40 yeas ago more or less. A town of 25,000 and a town with about 2,500 people + under 10K students.

By the time my kids were there, they had grown together, College Station was larger, and they were both still growing. My youngest and his wife would still be there if there had been enough jobs.

Bryan / College Station percentagewise has grown faster than Austin. Austin's growth, too, is from University graduates staying.

GigEm and Break Em Off!

Saw Em Off.  I do not condone that though.

Thegeet

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 11, 2021, 02:52:30 PM

GigEm and Break Em Off!

All they need is a world renowned  bbq place, or one that serves a5 wagyu.

Edit: I wrote it completely wrong.

kphoger

Quote from: Thegeet on August 11, 2021, 03:13:46 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 11, 2021, 02:52:30 PM

All they need is a world renowned  bbq place, or one that serves a5 wagyu.

GigEm and Break Em Off!

[Preview]
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

armadillo speedbump

For years I've been able to drive from Houston to BCS without encountering a stoplight, it's all freeway or expressway.  Good enough.  In a few years one can similarly drive from the north side of Houston to BCS with only 1 or 2 stoplights for the transitions to 105 and 6.  Almost good enough (need to 4-lane the 105 portion and the westernmost part of the Aggy Tollway will initially be 2-lane).  Build bypasses for Hearne and Calvert and one will be able to drive non-stop 4-lane all the way from BCS to DFW, except for a light at the intersection with I-35 in Waco.  Good enough.

BCS metro is the 183rd largest in the US, a population of only 268,000 as of last year.  In 10 years they added a net of 40,000.  For context, about 10% the size of San Antonio (which added 451,000, so an even bigger percentage growth rate, too.) 

BCS is a nice place with healthy growth, but it's half the size of the Corpus and Killeen-Temple metro areas and smaller than Waco and Laredo (for another 5-6 years), Tyler CSA (which excludes Longview), Amarillo, Midland-Odessa, Lubbock, etc.  It's road network is basically right-sized.

And while I'm not a big fan of I-14, a Heidenheimer (Temple) to Benchley (BCS) segment could probably be justified now.  Too much 2-lane between Temple and Houston.

sparker

Quote from: armadillo speedbump on August 11, 2021, 03:52:53 PM

For years I've been able to drive from Houston to BCS without encountering a stoplight, it's all freeway or expressway.  Good enough.  In a few years one can similarly drive from the north side of Houston to BCS with only 1 or 2 stoplights for the transitions to 105 and 6.  Almost good enough (need to 4-lane the 105 portion and the westernmost part of the Aggy Tollway will initially be 2-lane).  Build bypasses for Hearne and Calvert and one will be able to drive non-stop 4-lane all the way from BCS to DFW, except for a light at the intersection with I-35 in Waco.  Good enough.

BCS metro is the 183rd largest in the US, a population of only 268,000 as of last year.  In 10 years they added a net of 40,000.  For context, about 10% the size of San Antonio (which added 451,000, so an even bigger percentage growth rate, too.) 

BCS is a nice place with healthy growth, but it's half the size of the Corpus and Killeen-Temple metro areas and smaller than Waco and Laredo (for another 5-6 years), Tyler CSA (which excludes Longview), Amarillo, Midland-Odessa, Lubbock, etc.  It's road network is basically right-sized.

And while I'm not a big fan of I-14, a Heidenheimer (Temple) to Benchley (BCS) segment could probably be justified now.  Too much 2-lane between Temple and Houston.

BCS is currently being connected, in a fashion, to Houston via the Toll 249 connection, although the northwesternmost section of that is initially being developed as a 2-lane facility on a 4-lane ROW.  It'll eventually reach TX 6 somewhere in the Navasota area, likely well south of where the I-14 corridor will turn east toward Huntsville.  It's likely that both 6 and 249 will eventually serve as a through 4-lane facility, partially tolled, directly connecting BCS and Houston.  But because of the tolls, it's also likely that commercial traffic to and from Houston will utilize I-14 over to I-45 and then south; recreational/occasional traffic between the metro area will use 249 if they have a transponder/pass and either I-14/I-45 or TX 6/US 290 if they don't.  That set of options will likely work out well for any projected regional traffic flow in terms of volume dissipation/distribution.   

ski-man

Quote from: armadillo speedbump on August 11, 2021, 03:52:53 PM

Must be a graduate of the little sister school in Austin.....does not know how to spell. :poke:

TheBox

Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Giddings bypass, Elgin bypass, and Elgin-Manor freeway/tollway when?

longhorn

No pics but the pavement has and bridge expansion is done between Killeen and Belton. The contractor is going to put another level of pavement to unify everything ( I hate when they pave over bridges...WHY?)  Now TxDot needs to build a proper I-14 to I-35 south ramp and the area's traffic needs will be set for a couple of years. Central Texas Area is growing like crazy since its expensive to live 50 minutes south in Austin. Samsung building its plant in Taylor should tell you something.

I-14 should concentrate on the Temple Bryan connection. The growth in Central Texas will demand it.

The Ghostbuster

On the Interstate 14 Wikipedia page, an auxiliary route is mentioned: "I-14 in Texas is proposed to have one auxiliary route, Interstate 214, which would serve as a loop for Bryan—College Station metropolitan area." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_14). Is this accurate, or should I take this information with a grain of salt?

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

bwana39

Quote from: yakra on January 17, 2022, 03:32:38 PM
That section of the article cites https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/national_highway_system/high_priority_corridors/hpcor.cfm

This list however written into the federal register is just a "serving suggestion". Some parts of it will be built to order. Some will be built with wide variance. Some will not be built at all.  Many things not on the list WILL be built.

It is like me deciding that I will buy myself a new Ford Explorer in 2026. I may not need a car that year. I may not can afford a new car that year. Ford may not offer Explorer. I may choose to go with a completely different make and model.

It used to be that there was restricted funding attached to the projects on this list. Today, the greatest majority of the highway funding comes in the form of unrestricted grants.

MATraveler128

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 17, 2022, 03:29:19 PM
On the Interstate 14 Wikipedia page, an auxiliary route is mentioned: "I-14 in Texas is proposed to have one auxiliary route, Interstate 214, which would serve as a loop for Bryan—College Station metropolitan area." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_14). Is this accurate, or should I take this information with a grain of salt?

I've never heard of a proposed I-214 before. Is this a real proposal from TxDOT? Where did that come from?
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

hotdogPi

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on January 17, 2022, 06:28:51 PM

I've never heard of a proposed I-214 before. Is this a real proposal from TxDOT? Where did that come from?

Added by FreewayDan (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=70)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

I have never looked into I-14 deep enough or it was recently added to the wiki page. For such a long freeway from western Texas to Augusta, Georgia, there would have to be at least one auxiliary route from I-14.
Renewed roadgeek

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.