News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 55/ Crump Boulevard Interchange

Started by Grzrd, May 26, 2017, 02:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

It will be stupid for them to remodel that interchange yet keep the main lanes of I-55 at only a 2x2 configuration thru the interchange. They should at least build out the new lanes to be capable of holding a 3x3 configuration even if it has to be striped 2x2 for some time. That old I-55 Memphis-Arkansas bridge badly needs to be replaced. Any replacement would likely carry at least 3x3 lanes.

Plutonic Panda

Yeah that was my first thought as well. It should be 3x3.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 09, 2022, 03:53:59 PM
Yeah that was my first thought as well. It should be 3x3.

Oh, I agree completely.  In the presence of funding limitations, I'd take the interchange reconstruction over the bridge reconstruction, although both are needed.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 09, 2022, 03:49:53 PM
It will be stupid for them to remodel that interchange yet keep the main lanes of I-55 at only a 2x2 configuration thru the interchange. They should at least build out the new lanes to be capable of holding a 3x3 configuration even if it has to be striped 2x2 for some time. That old I-55 Memphis-Arkansas bridge badly needs to be replaced. Any replacement would likely carry at least 3x3 lanes.

I don't know. Nine lanes seems excessive.  :-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

sprjus4

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 09, 2022, 03:49:53 PM
My guess is that it will be designed for an ultimate 3x3 build, though will be striped for 2x2 initially. It's pointless to build it fully out to 3x3 now when the bridge is 2x2.

Bobby5280

At the very least they should build any I-55 main lanes overpasses capable of holding 3x3 lanes even if the connecting roadways are initially built for 2x2. I do understand having an initial 2x2 configuration to avoid a bottleneck occurring at the 4 lane Mississippi River bridge approach. But they do need to do at least some future-proofing in the new interchange.

vdeane

What's the split in traffic going to/from Crump vs. staying on I-55 through that area?  I would think whether a 3rd lane each way on a new bridge would be added/exit only for the interchange vs. following I-55 through the interchange would be dependent on the traffic split.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

tolbs17

Can't they build a new bridge further away from that alignment?

Plutonic Panda

That was my thought as well. Build a new Eastern bypass and sign it as I 55.

bwana39

The thought is that at some point, I-55 will take a track significantly farther south. With a new bridge probably around the Seacor location.

The M&A would still have years of life for the traffic destined for downtown and along Crump Blvd.

3-laning the new NB mainlanes would not be prudent as the bridge would immediately be a choke point. 3 lanes SB might be in line, but maybe not as the (local) traffic merging from Riverside still will need a place to go.

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

MikieTimT

Quote from: bwana39 on January 09, 2022, 09:44:37 PM
The thought is that at some point, I-55 will take a track significantly farther south. With a new bridge probably around the Seacor location.

The M&A would still have years of life for the traffic destined for downtown and along Crump Blvd.

3-laning the new NB mainlanes would not be prudent as the bridge would immediately be a choke point. 3 lanes SB might be in line, but maybe not as the (local) traffic merging from Riverside still will need a place to go.

There's no way Arkansas would shoulder the shared maintenance costs for an old obsolete bridge just to serve traffic for Crump Blvd., nor for the carriageway to get there from I-40/I-55.  Once there's an alternative further south that Arkansas shares the cost with, either with Tennessee, or Mississippi, they'll drop it like a hot rock as it doesn't serve Arkansas' needs much.  BASF is the only thing down there on Arkansas' side of the river, and the bridge isn't necessary for their needs if an I-55 crossing swings further south.

Bobby5280

Physically, they could build a new replacement I-55 bridge next to the old one. Such things have been done many times previously.  A fairly big chunk of Crump Park would be taken by the new bridge, but some of that park land would be restored by the removal of the old truss bridge.

Memphis is a big enough city to justify having at least 2 highway bridges across the Mississippi River. The Hernando de Soto Bridge isn't sufficient to carry both I-40 and I-55 traffic. Even it doesn't live up to modern Interstate standard for its complete lack of shoulders.

Regardless of whatever happens for downtown Memphis a new separate Mississippi River bridge crossing is needed down by Tunica to connect I-40 in Arkansas with I-69 and the I-269 loop. IMHO, that should be a bigger priority than the decades-delayed Great River Bridge project.

Avalanchez71

This has worked for years.  I say let it ride.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 10, 2022, 12:48:01 PM

Forcing through traffic to go through a loop ramp to continue?  No, I don't think so.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Anthony_JK on January 10, 2022, 05:01:51 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 10, 2022, 12:48:01 PM

Forcing through traffic to go through a loop ramp to continue?  No, I don't think so.

Just ignore such silliness as it's clearly ignorance on the part of the author.

bwana39

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 10, 2022, 11:28:02 AM
Physically, they could build a new replacement I-55 bridge next to the old one. Such things have been done many times previously.  A fairly big chunk of Crump Park would be taken by the new bridge, but some of that park land would be restored by the removal of the old truss bridge.

Memphis is a big enough city to justify having at least 2 highway bridges across the Mississippi River. The Hernando de Soto Bridge isn't sufficient to carry both I-40 and I-55 traffic. Even it doesn't live up to modern Interstate standard for its complete lack of shoulders.

Regardless of whatever happens for downtown Memphis a new separate Mississippi River bridge crossing is needed down by Tunica to connect I-40 in Arkansas with I-69 and the I-269 loop. IMHO, that should be a bigger priority than the decades-delayed Great River Bridge project.

There might be a way or ways to to build a new bridge adjacent to the current M&A bridge and the westernmost portion of Crump Boulevard, but there is not enough room to keep the cultural upheaval to a minimum. Building anything more than revamping the E.H. Crump / W.B Fowler Sr. curve on I-55 is a non-starter.  If they build a bridge, it almost surely will be built elsewhere.

The discussion of the M&A bridge on here sounds like it it is ready to fall into the river any moment or at minimum it is  a giant money pit.  Neither seem to be the case. It is fracture critical in the case of a MAJOR earthquake as are several other bridges across the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers. In a MAJOR earthquake, it MIGHT fail partially or completely. That in itself is not a reason to tear it down.  The second issue with the M&A is capacity. How many vehicles per hour can pass through it versus the demand for a greater number to pass through it. If you reduce the demand with a separate bridge, it should be just fine.
The bigger reason the OLD Vicksburg Bridge closed to cars and trucks was Madison Parish and the Town of Delta couldn't / wouldn't pay to keep the surface road to the bridge open.  The Long-Allen Bridge at Morgan City LA is a redundant older structure that is cheaper to keep open than to  demolish. the M&A would still have far more local utility than the Long-Allen if a redundant bridge were built nearby.

I-39

This project should be beginning construction soon right?

Brooks

Quote from: I-39 on January 14, 2022, 11:42:07 AM
TDOT has dragged their feet on this project for 10 years, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Plutonic Panda

Well given this news today seems like now is a better time than ever to start planning for new Tennessee/Arkansas bridge replacements

https://www.roadsbridges.com/us-dot-announces-bridge-investment-program-under-infrastructure-law

bwana39

Quote from: Brooks on January 14, 2022, 12:29:41 PM
TDOT has dragged their feet on this project for 10 years, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

The I-55 curve construction  was scheduled to start in mid-2020, then it was halted with no startup date.  IE: Put on a back burner with no fire under it.....

Brooks

Quote from: bwana39 on January 14, 2022, 02:06:57 PM

The I-55 curve construction  was scheduled to start in mid-2020, then it was halted with no startup date.  IE: Put on a back burner with no fire under it.....
Precisely. I believe this is the third or fourth time they have delayed this project.

bwana39

Quote from: Brooks on January 14, 2022, 02:57:50 PM

Precisely. I believe this is the third or fourth time they have delayed this project.

Tennessee is a very frugal state to begin with. Memphis is not favored by Nashville (the state government).  So getting funding for any project in Tennessee is as difficult as in a truly poor state like Mississippi and doubly hard for projects in and around Memphis.

roadman65

Quote from: bwana39 on January 15, 2022, 10:58:46 AM
Quote from: Brooks on January 14, 2022, 02:57:50 PM

Tennessee is a very frugal state to begin with. Memphis is not favored by Nashville (the state government).  So getting funding for any project in Tennessee is as difficult as in a truly poor state like Mississippi and doubly hard for projects in and around Memphis.

Yet Memphis is the states most populous city, it should get priority. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cbalducc

Quote from: roadman65

If Metro Nashville hasn't surpassed Memphis in population yet, it will soon.
Would a new wider Memphis Arkansas Bridge somehow incorporate the Frisco Bridge?

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: cbalducc on January 15, 2022, 12:36:05 PM
Quote from: roadman65

If Metro Nashville hasn't surpassed Memphis in population yet, it will soon.
Would a new wider Memphis Arkansas Bridge somehow incorporate the Frisco Bridge?
I'd be very surprised if Memphis has a larger metro population than Memphis. Nashville seems much larger and way more vibrant than Memphis. Like it or not Tennessee seems to not care much about Memphis. At least that's the impression I get.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.