AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: General Houston-area projects thread  (Read 8836 times)

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: Today at 09:17:22 AM
Re: General Houston-area projects thread
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2022, 11:15:03 AM »

Is it just me or does Houston have a less ambitious highway improvement plan than Texas' other metros? Is it just because NHHIP is diverting all the money and attention?

There is still a shopping list of upgrades all over the Greater metro area; so far in this 2020's decade alone:

1.  The I-45/SH-35 (the Alvin exit) interchange is being built.
2.  The length of I-45 from NASA to Texas City is being expanded.
3.  The I-69/I-610 (near the Galleria) interchange is being revised.
4.  The length of I-69 from Sugar Land to Rosenburg is being expanded.
5.  The length of I-10 West freeway expansion might be soon beginning from Katy to Brookshire.
6.  The length of US-290 is being expanded from I-610 to FM-1960.
7.  The SH-288/Beltway 8 interchange....might even be opened by now. Now Open
8.  SH-288/I-610 South interchange is being built. Now Open
9.  The SH-288 South Freeway is being expanded from Downtown to Pearland (and then to be upgraded to interstate standards all the way to Freeport in the future so I was informed on here) The recent work on the toll lanes is all finished to Manvel. I'm aware of long-term plans to 3x3 288 to Lake Jackson and potentially 4x2x2x4ing it in the Houston metro, but I don't know when that gets done. The end goal is for it to be a freeway all the way to Freeport. Speaking of Freeport, the TX 288/TX 332/TX 288 B interchange in that area was just recently refurbished with new pavement and more lanes.

Those are just off the top of my mind.  Anything else have I not mentioned yet?
10. The Fort Bend Tollway is getting extended.
11. The Beltway 8 Ship Channel bridge is being built right now.
12. SH 146 is getting some freeway upgrades in and around the Kemah area.
13. The I-610 Ship Channel bridge will be rebuilt sometime in the next 10-20 years.
14. Lots of the Grand Parkway still needs to be built.
15. A new freeway paralleling TX-35 will be built all the way to Alvin (as you hinted at)
16. The I-69/TX 288 interchange is going to be rebuilt at some point, regardless of whether NHHIP goes through, I believe.
17. Speaking of that, that's not even including the NHHIP if it does fall through. That would rebuild I-45 on the north side and radically shift downtown freeways.
18. The Westpark Tollway will be extended.
19. Kind of a stretch, but I believe the Aggieland Expressway will be extended to near Navasota.
20. Katy freeway modernization from downtown to the “recently” reconstructed and widened portion.

kernals12

• Love highways and cars. Hate public transit.

• Last Login: November 28, 2022, 03:02:10 PM
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2022, 08:18:54 PM »

Public meeting on PEL for I-45 from Downtown to Beltway 8.

Traffic is already very bad now and, by 2045, they say the entire corridor will operate at LOS F in both directions at peak times with no improvements.

There is no space for widening without lots of ROW takings.

I think the only hope for relief is the Proposed Alvin Freeway

Anthony_JK

• Last Login: Today at 04:51:02 AM
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2022, 09:28:32 PM »

So....when will we hear some New Urbanist freak put out a "Rethink I-45" website calling for leveling I-45 north of I-610 and re-routing I-45 along the Sam Houston Tollway or I-610 and converting the old I-45 into a 4 lane boulevard because "HIGHWAYS SUCK AND FREEWAYS ARE RACIST!!!"

[/sarcasm]

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: November 28, 2022, 09:26:26 PM
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2022, 09:52:59 PM »

Please Anthony_JK, do not give the new urbanists any ideas. They are crazy enough as it is.

Bobby5280

• Last Login: November 28, 2022, 11:46:33 PM
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2022, 11:36:52 PM »

When "new urbanists" complain that freeways are racist they're committing an act of ironic hypocrisy. The ideology of new urbanism is pretty much a ruse; it's a tool to promote gentrification and economic segregation.

Just about every urban center where all sorts of new urbanist inspired redevelopment efforts have been applied has also been affected by gentrification. That does even more to displace middle and lower income residents than building a freeway. Even if a person with a modest income owns his property outright he can be forced to sell and leave just from the rising cost of property taxes alone.

The "missing middle" syndrome in America's housing market is forcing a lot of workers in the lower tiers of the middle class to move in less desirable neighborhoods in their home city or move to an entirely different place where living costs are more affordable. But in places with far more affordable living costs, like here in Lawton, that comes with the trade-off of lower wage scales.

So when lawmakers want to pop-off speeches about freeways being racist they need to be forced to answer questions about their city's zoning policies and how those are even more racist or class warfare-driven than any freeway could ever hope to be. Let them explain that. The whole dream of New Urbanism and everyone living downtown within walking distance of work is a stinking lie as long as that redesigned downtown is only affordable as a living place to rich people.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.