News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-555 - Official End

Started by edwaleni, September 23, 2018, 06:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on December 04, 2019, 07:27:21 PM
Someone  mentioned 555 tying in with US 412. I like the idea of extending 555 up to U.S. 412 and converting 412 into a interstate into Oklahoma. That would be perfect for extending IH 22 westward as we as a cheaper option IMO. Not to mention it makes a Jonesboro to Fayetteville drive 3 hours instead of 4.5 hours

It would take a lot to upgrade 412 to Interstate standards and I'm not sure if traffic counts would justify it.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Bobby5280

Yeah, I strongly doubt US-412 across Northern Arkansas would ever be upgraded fully to Interstate standards. Also, Memphis to Kansas City traffic is not going to do some way out of the way "L" shape trip, taking US-412 all the way to Springdale before going Northward. They're going to take US-63 into Missouri to connect with US-60 to Springfield and take the MO-13 & MO-7 combo (both 4 lane highways) to KC. That's a far more direct route.

sprjus4

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 05, 2019, 01:29:45 AM
Yeah, I strongly doubt US-412 across Northern Arkansas would ever be upgraded fully to Interstate standards. Also, Memphis to Kansas City traffic is not going to do some way out of the way "L" shape trip, taking US-412 all the way to Springdale before going Northward. They're going to take US-63 into Missouri to connect with US-60 to Springfield and take the MO-13 & MO-7 combo (both 4 lane highways) to KC. That's a far more direct route.
I-55 and I-70 is also a reasonable route, and still far more direct and faster than US-412. It's about 10-15 minutes slower than the routes you mention, but is likely the preferred for some amount of traffic as it's all interstate highway. If I was a long-distance traveler going to/from a location beyond Memphis and Kansas City, I would more than likely take the interstate via St. Louis.

MikieTimT

Quote from: US71 on December 04, 2019, 09:12:21 PM
Someone  mentioned 555 tying in with US 412. I like the idea of extending 555 up to U.S. 412 and converting 412 into a interstate into Oklahoma. That would be perfect for extending IH 22 westward as we as a cheaper option IMO. Not to mention it makes a Jonesboro to Fayetteville drive 3 hours instead of 4.5 hours

It would take a lot to upgrade 412 to Interstate standards and I'm not sure if traffic counts would justify it.

And it would also limit access in a large swath of the northern part of Arkansas that currently has direct access to US-412.  Not to mention, bring more traffic into an area known more for tourism/retirement, neither of which really would be better served by a limited access freeway.  Part of what draws people to Arkansas is the road system, which, although some may disagree with, carries cars and motorcycles in tune with the terrain rather than blasting through it as an Interstate designation would likely warrant.  I personally like driving US-412 from Springdale to Jonesboro on jobs 2-3 times a year explicitly for that reason.  If you operate a motor vehicle to get from point A to point B in the most expeditious and cheapest way possible, then, I agree an Interstate would be a worthy goal.  It would also result in some economic growth, which some may also aspire to.  But, if you like to drive as I much as I do, and have the appropriate vehicle and tires for the road, then US-412 is great as as it is with curves and hills and some great scenery.  Those who retire there or haul campers and boats up to the world-class lakes there would likely say the same.  Only thing I can think of for improvement is the addition of a sufficient quantity of passing/climbing lanes, and some urban bypasses to improve the flow.  I think we're getting off topic with an I-555 thread and bleeding into Fictional territory now anyway.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on December 05, 2019, 11:23:58 AM

And it would also limit access in a large swath of the northern part of Arkansas that currently has direct access to US-412.  Not to mention, bring more traffic into an area known more for tourism/retirement, neither of which really would be better served by a limited access freeway.  Part of what draws people to Arkansas is the road system, which, although some may disagree with, carries cars and motorcycles in tune with the terrain rather than blasting through it as an Interstate designation would likely warrant.  I personally like driving US-412 from Springdale to Jonesboro on jobs 2-3 times a year explicitly for that reason.  If you operate a motor vehicle to get from point A to point B in the most expeditious and cheapest way possible, then, I agree an Interstate would be a worthy goal.  It would also result in some economic growth, which some may also aspire to.  But, if you like to drive as I much as I do, and have the appropriate vehicle and tires for the road, then US-412 is great as as it is with curves and hills and some great scenery.  Those who retire there or haul campers and boats up to the world-class lakes there would likely say the same.  Only thing I can think of for improvement is the addition of a sufficient quantity of passing/climbing lanes, and some urban bypasses to improve the flow.  I think we're getting off topic with an I-555 thread and bleeding into Fictional territory now anyway.

Not totally fictional. Improvements have been made here and there along 412 west Alpena with climbing lanes, but the terrain is very rough.

MikieTimT

Quote from: US71 on December 05, 2019, 11:29:36 AM
Quote from: MikieTimT on December 05, 2019, 11:23:58 AM

Not totally fictional. Improvements have been made here and there along 412 west Alpena with climbing lanes, but the terrain is very rough.

And I can see a case for the same treatment between Huntsville and Alpena as was done from Springdale to Huntsville.  It'd be fine as a 4 lane with at-grade intersections to keep access where there really isn't much alternative anyway, and a small bump in speed limit.  It's not going to be another I-49 in our lifetimes anyway, though.

sparker

With the growth of NWA, there's always the potential for a E-W interstate on US 412 west of I-49; any eastern extension across the Ozarks is a long shot at best.  Of course, the major obstacle is ODOT; but since their more recent efforts are targeting both OKC and Tulsa, an upgraded route from the latter city to NWA might be something that would be considered with a modicum of local prodding -- especially since quite a bit of it is already constructed as a toll facility -- and that concept could be extended in both directions from the existing Cherokee facility.  A "double-ended" corridor extending both east and west of Tulsa using the Cimarron pike wouldn't be out of the question either -- except for a single grade crossing, the western US 412 portion is already in service.   But it would likely take actions from within AR to secure any Interstate designation for that corridor; it's unlikely any such initiative would emerge from any OK entity.   But a facility along US 412 east of there would be unlikely to provide potential traffic levels to warrant even a 4-lane expressway much less a freeway.   And connecting it east to the existing I-155 in MO's "bootheel" has been effectively usurped by the I-57 concept;  it's improbable that an additional large freeway project in NE AR would see the light of day for at least several decades.

MikieTimT

Quote from: sparker on December 06, 2019, 06:21:38 PM
With the growth of NWA, there's always the potential for a E-W interstate on US 412 west of I-49; any eastern extension across the Ozarks is a long shot at best.  Of course, the major obstacle is ODOT; but since their more recent efforts are targeting both OKC and Tulsa, an upgraded route from the latter city to NWA might be something that would be considered with a modicum of local prodding -- especially since quite a bit of it is already constructed as a toll facility -- and that concept could be extended in both directions from the existing Cherokee facility.  A "double-ended" corridor extending both east and west of Tulsa using the Cimarron pike wouldn't be out of the question either -- except for a single grade crossing, the western US 412 portion is already in service.   But it would likely take actions from within AR to secure any Interstate designation for that corridor; it's unlikely any such initiative would emerge from any OK entity.   But a facility along US 412 east of there would be unlikely to provide potential traffic levels to warrant even a 4-lane expressway much less a freeway.   And connecting it east to the existing I-155 in MO's "bootheel" has been effectively usurped by the I-57 concept;  it's improbable that an additional large freeway project in NE AR would see the light of day for at least several decades.

I don't see Arkansas pushing for such a thing at this time.  The time to bypass Siloam Springs was really before they 6-laned 412 through town, and part of the growth of NWA will bleed into Siloam Springs as development occurs off the I-49 corridor along US-412 making an eventual bypass go way north between Siloam Springs and Gentry.  I agree that this would occur before anything east of Huntsville, and certainly way before anything happens between east of Harrison. We might live to see freeway connections to Harrison and Walnut Ridge, but anything else is likely pie in the sky wishing without a much greater federal push for funding and design for the Interstate Highway System.  And such a road across northern Arkansas would require lots of blasting and filling and would bring more people to an area that is currently enjoyed by people looking to escape population density.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on December 07, 2019, 01:14:19 PM
Quote from: sparker on December 06, 2019, 06:21:38 PM

I don't see Arkansas pushing for such a thing at this time.  The time to bypass Siloam Springs was really before they 6-laned 412 through town, and part of the growth of NWA will bleed into Siloam Springs as development occurs off the I-49 corridor along US-412 making an eventual bypass go way north between Siloam Springs and Gentry.  I agree that this would occur before anything east of Huntsville, and certainly way before anything happens between east of Harrison. We might live to see freeway connections to Harrison and Walnut Ridge, but anything else is likely pie in the sky wishing without a much greater federal push for funding and design for the Interstate Highway System.  And such a road across northern Arkansas would require lots of blasting and filling and would bring more people to an area that is currently enjoyed by people looking to escape population density.

ARDOT: planning for yesterday, tomorrow.

edwaleni

In the 2019 ArDOT strat plan, US-412 was identified for updating to 4 lanes, but not to interstate standards.  No time frame was given.

RV's, campers, boats is a big driver, not freight.

sparker

Quote from: edwaleni on December 09, 2019, 03:48:32 PM
In the 2019 ArDOT strat plan, US-412 was identified for updating to 4 lanes, but not to interstate standards.  No time frame was given.

RV's, campers, boats is a big driver, not freight.

Which portion of US 412 do those plans cover?  I'd take a guess that the portion of the route east of Walnut Ridge would be the most likely candidate for such upgrades. 

edwaleni

Here are the current unfunded plans.

Here are the priority routes.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: edwaleni on December 14, 2019, 02:42:51 PM
Here are the current unfunded plans.

[images snipped]

Sure would be nice if those images were large enough to read.

armadillo speedbump

MNHighwayMan

Thank you! It is appreciated to get the original source. :thumbsup:

bugo

The 2019-2021 Arkansas official shows US 63 between US 49 and AR 91 as "Future I-555".

edwaleni

Quote from: bugo on December 27, 2019, 05:58:09 AM
The 2019-2021 Arkansas official shows US 63 between US 49 and AR 91 as "Future I-555".

AASHTO approved it to AR-91.

ArDOT only signed it to US-49.

So as of today, according to ArDOT, I-555 ends at US-49.

MikieTimT

Quote from: edwaleni on December 29, 2019, 08:56:58 PM
Quote from: bugo on December 27, 2019, 05:58:09 AM

AASHTO approved it to AR-91.

ArDOT only signed it to US-49.

So as of today, according to ArDOT, I-555 ends at US-49.

And as of a few days ago, this looks to be changing:
https://vpiph01-i555-extension-hwy-49-hwy-91-jonesboro-ardot.hub.arcgis.com/

Tomahawkin

OT what kind of roadwork are they doing in the median in the Jonesboro area? If I had to guess would be that they are putting up a Jersey Barrier???

MikieTimT

Quote from: Tomahawkin on September 29, 2020, 08:30:25 AM
OT what kind of roadwork are they doing in the median in the Jonesboro area? If I had to guess would be that they are putting up a Jersey Barrier???

They have been tearing out the northwest bound lanes and redoing the roadbed.  When I was there a few days ago, I-555 is mostly 2 lane through town at the moment with all traffic on the southeast carriageway.  Don't know if they're going to do the same with the southeast carriageway, but I'd bet they switch over the traffic to the northwest bound lanes and do the same to the current carriageway.

Tomahawkin

I have noticed that this work has been going on since April. It seems as if this will be a 18 month project?

US71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on September 29, 2020, 06:17:44 PM
I have noticed that this work has been going on since April. It seems as if this will be a 18 month project?

Probably just over a year
https://www.kait8.com/2020/06/25/ardot-engineer-explains-construction-project-i-jonesboro/
Work should be completed on I-555 in Jonesboro late spring or early summer 2021.

bugo

If they sign I-555 all the way to AR 91, it will have a 4 1/2 mile overlap with US 63. Since this is Arkansas, US 63 will probably not be signed along the piggyback, leaving a signage gap on US 63 from the AR 91 interchange and the US 49 south/US 63 south interchange. They should leave it be, because I-555 cleanly ends at US 63 with no useless duplexes.

US71

Quote from: bugo on September 30, 2020, 04:37:00 PM
If they sign I-555 all the way to AR 91, it will have a 4 1/2 mile overlap with US 63. Since this is Arkansas, US 63 will probably not be signed along the piggyback, leaving a signage gap on US 63 from the AR 91 interchange and the US 49 south/US 63 south interchange. They should leave it be, because I-555 cleanly ends at US 63 with no useless duplexes.

I don't know if it still is, but 555 and 63 were co-signed at one time.

bugo

Were the US 63 signs underneath the I-555 signs? Arkansas usually puts the sign of the new designation in place of the old designation and they put the old signs underneath the new shields, sometimes hanging by only one bolt.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.