Bids for IH 35 Waco rebuild/widening opened, $458 million

Started by MaxConcrete, December 05, 2018, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longhorn

longhorn

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 07, 2018, 03:12:47 PM
It is worth pointing out that the complete construction plans are online, if anyone wants to delve into the details of how it costs this much.

ftp://plans.dot.state.tx.us/State-Let-Construction/2018/12%20December%202018/12%20Contract%20Plans/

Scroll down to "McLennan 0015-01-243"--there are two volumes of plans aggregating to over 1.2 GB.  (There was once a time when it was very unusual for TxDOT to advertise a contract whose plans ran to over 700 MB.)

The link still does not work.

This project probably includes a new bridge over the Brazos River. And I noticed on the northern end, near TSTC, TxDot appears to be just filling in the median, and expanding the present bridges (including the cast concrete ones). Seems that section will still be paved and not rebuilt as concrete.

wxfree

I'm having a horrible time trying to make the links work.  Once you get the FTP page open, it works fine, but if you click a link from another site it messes up.  Even copying and pasting the links doesn't work.  That gives me either a blank page or a different page at the exact same address.  I didn't think that was possible.  Apparently, you have to have the links in your browser history in order to use them.  This is maddening.

I found a solution.  Go to this page on the regular HTML side of the site and click into the FTP access that way.  Then go to State-Let-Construction, 2018, and December.  Once the links are in your browser history, they work properly, or at least they do for me.
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/business/plansonline/ftpinfo.htm

Anyway, there are new freeway bridges over the Brazos in the plans.  They include something called 620 foot continuous box girder units.  That looks like about the entire length.  The existing frontage road bridges apparently will remain.  Those are decorative, anyway.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

J N Winkler

Quote from: longhorn on August 20, 2019, 02:02:16 PMThe link still does not work.

Quote from: wxfree on August 21, 2019, 02:09:13 AMI'm having a horrible time trying to make the links work.  Once you get the FTP page open, it works fine, but if you click a link from another site it messes up.  Even copying and pasting the links doesn't work.  That gives me either a blank page or a different page at the exact same address.  I didn't think that was possible.  Apparently, you have to have the links in your browser history in order to use them.  This is maddening.

Actually, I think this is my fault.  The link I posted does not have the username and password for the Plans Online FTP server--I think because I copied it from the browser bar (Firefox hides the username/password element in FTP URLs once it finishes loading the page) rather than right-clicking on the appropriate folder and choosing "Copy link" from the context menu.

If you click on a Plans Online link that does not have the username/password right in the URL, the server will return a 550 error that implies (incorrectly) the resource is not available.  It is there--click-though simply didn't supply the correct credentials.

This link should be clickable.  I have tested it (using preview before committing this post) and found it to be so.

ftp://planuser:txdotplans@plans.dot.state.tx.us/State-Let-Construction/2018/12%20December%202018/12%20Plans/
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

wxfree

That link works.  That's interesting.  I'll have to remember that: go up a level, and copy the link to the folder.

In_Correct

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

In_Correct

Quotehttps://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=25541.0

Quote from: longhorn on August 19, 2019, 11:34:05 AM
The next five years or so will be miserable, take loop 340.

With that out of the way, why rebuild (tear up and relay concrete) the I-35 stretch in Waco? The concrete must be only 10 years old. The intersections near Baylor and the river with its 1960s designed cast concrete bridges need to be replaced but to reconstruct the whole highway?

At least they are replacing cement with cement this time.

Other times it seems as if cement is being phased out.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Beltway

Quote from: In_Correct on August 22, 2019, 02:01:00 AM
Quote from: longhorn on August 19, 2019, 11:34:05 AM
The next five years or so will be miserable, take loop 340.
With that out of the way, why rebuild (tear up and relay concrete) the I-35 stretch in Waco? The concrete must be only 10 years old. The intersections near Baylor and the river with its 1960s designed cast concrete bridges need to be replaced but to reconstruct the whole highway?
At least they are replacing cement with cement this time.
Other times it seems as if cement is being phased out.

Are they raising the grade of the highway?  To meet modern drainage standards?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

wxfree

There is quite a bit of raising.  The new road will go above 12th St. instead of below.  The section between from 5th to near Forrest St. is consistently 5 to 10 feet higher.  It's substantially higher near Peach St.  The natural ground level doesn't even show on the chart.  The topographic map says it's at 392 feet and the plan calls for the road to be at about 409.  The Street View makes that look like an area with drainage challenges.  North of Forrest mostly follows the existing ground except where it's higher to meet the higher overpasses.  The BU 77 overpass will have substantially higher clearance, over 20 feet.  The US 84 and Behrens/Wheeler overpasses will both have higher clearances and be of thicker design, about 5 feet.  The first one is all elevated, but the latter two will be surrounded by higher ground as necessary for things to line up.

Beltway

Quote from: wxfree on August 22, 2019, 05:59:48 PM
There is quite a bit of raising.  The new road will go above 12th St. instead of below.

Hence, they can't use the pre-existing pavement!  New grade, new pavement.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

MaxConcrete

The Waco newspaper reports on construction reaching the halfway point. The article includes a large collection of project photos taken since the project started.

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/halfway-point-of-waco-i-35-project-to-be-marked-by-lane-switch-brazos-bridge/article_2c4f1450-73fb-11eb-8c07-cb8a82a2afe4.html

Despite obstacles that include the outbreak of COVID-19, Webber crews are setting a brisk pace. As of last month, Webber had completed work valued at $224 million, or 61% of the Texas Department of Transportation contract's total, in 42% of TxDOT's timetable, TxDOT spokesperson Jake Smith said.

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

longhorn

Following same procedure they did with I35 rebuild. Rebuild one side then shift traffic over and tear down the old section.

dchristy

While construction in south Dallas on IH 35 is an inconvenience, and going through Sherman on US 75 is a mess, the construction on IH 35 in Waco is a nightmare.  I spent well over an hour going northbound through Waco a couple of weeks ago, and that was with trying the frontage roads as well as the interstate.  Does anybody have any suggestions for a short cut or a quicker way?  And, when will this construction be completed?

Bobby5280

Any shortcut or alternative route would depend on where your drive starts and where it ends. I have Army friends (retired and active duty) who use US-281 as an alternative to I-35 for driving down to Fort Hood in Killeen or down to the San Antonio area. But US-281 is a good distance from I-35.

Plutonic Panda

There's already a thread for this mods might want to merge

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24048.0

Threads now merged.  --J N Winkler

In_Correct

Quote from: dchristy on October 27, 2021, 03:04:55 PM
While construction in south Dallas on IH 35 is an inconvenience, and going through Sherman on US 75 is a mess, the construction on IH 35 in Waco is a nightmare.  I spent well over an hour going northbound through Waco a couple of weeks ago, and that was with trying the frontage roads as well as the interstate.  Does anybody have any suggestions for a short cut or a quicker way?  And, when will this construction be completed?

It would be U.S. 281. The Necessary Upgrades for U.S. 281 would be finished long after Interstate 35.

thisdj78

Either Hwy 6/340 or Bus 77.

But like others have said, it depends on where you're coming from and going to.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.