News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Do any old Baltimore area sign pics exist?

Started by cb98, January 10, 2021, 05:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb98

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 14, 2021, 09:15:20 AM
Quote from: plain on January 13, 2021, 10:08:40 PM
Quote from: cb98 on January 13, 2021, 09:37:00 PM
Found another video that leaves me more confused than anything. From 1959, it makes mention of the brand new Harbor Tunnel Thruway, except in the shot of the sign they showed, it also has a New Jersey Turnpike shield in the background...
I can only assume it's because at the time the NJTP (via US 40 and the Del Mem Br) was the next limited access highway heading northeast towards NYC. I'm trying to figure out what that spade above it said.
I believe this to be northbound Baltimore-Washington Expressway (present-day MD-295)
at the exit to northbound Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway (present-day I-895).  For
many years, there was a NJTP trailblazer a few hundred feet south of here, prior to the
beginning of the ramp from MD-295 to I-895.  Prior to 1985, there was also a
TO North I-95 assembly near here, in addition to the BRS describing HAZMAT
restrictions.

Yes, I think the small shield is for the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

That's really fascinating. Would this have been the furthest south a trailblazer for the Delaware Memorial Bridge and/or NJT would've been posted? Also, it almost certainly is the northbound B&W Parkway ramp to what is now northbound I-895.
All I'm saying is the B&W Parkway needs to be widened...

Clinched | Flickr

cpzilliacus

Quote from: cb98 on January 14, 2021, 11:51:24 AM
Also, it almost certainly is the northbound B&W Parkway ramp to what is now northbound I-895.

Not correct.  What is now the state-maintained part of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (north of MD-175 and signed as MD-295) was known as the Baltimore-Washington Expressway when this image was taken.

South of MD-175, the road has always been owned, maintained and operated by the National Park Service and signed as the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (no route number signed even though MDOT internal documents show MD-295).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

plain

It's pretty wild how a route (and a bridge) can be posted far away from that actual facility. The ones I'm most familiar with is a TO Atlantic City Expwy posting on the NJTP NB at US 40 (glad that one is gone now) and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel being posted on US 58 EB west of I-95 (though the last time I drove US 58 I forgot to look to see if the sign was still there).

EDIT: Also, TO I-40 posted on US 220 SB in Martinsville, VA (still there as of 2019)
Newark born, Richmond bred

cpzilliacus

Quote from: plain on January 14, 2021, 12:23:47 PM
It's pretty wild how a route (and a bridge) can be posted far away from that actual facility. The ones I'm most familiar with is a TO Atlantic City Expwy posting on the NJTP NB at US 40 (glad that one is gone now) and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel being posted on US 58 EB west of I-95 (though the last time I drove US 58 I forgot to look to see if the sign was still there).

There were New Jersey Turnpike trailblazers on U.S. 301 northbound/U.S. 50 eastbound prior to the "split" at Queenstown.  There was also one on U.S. 50 westbound approaching MD-213 also in Queenstown and one on northbound MD-213 approaching U.S. 301.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

The Bridge-Tunnel has long been posted on I-295 in Delaware. The current sign is far bigger than the trailblazer-type sign I remember seeing as a kid (I do not use that road very often anymore): https://goo.gl/maps/QqG2KMDt9mztiXfc8

I'm pretty sure I recall there being a trailblazer somewhere near the southern end of the New Jersey Turnpike as well, but I don't recall where.

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 14, 2021, 12:18:09 PM
Also, it almost certainly is the northbound B&W Parkway ramp to what is now northbound I-895.

Not correct.  What is now the state-maintained part of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (north of MD-175 and signed as MD-295) was known as the Baltimore-Washington Expressway when this image was taken.

South of MD-175, the road has always been owned, maintained and operated by the National Park Service and signed as the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (no route number signed even though MDOT internal documents show MD-295).

I don't believe he was disagreeing with the name you used; rather, I think he was referring to where the spot is in terms of today's naming.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 14, 2021, 12:31:09 PM

The Bridge-Tunnel has long been posted on I-295 in Delaware. The current sign is far bigger than the trailblazer-type sign I remember seeing as a kid (I do not use that road very often anymore): https://goo.gl/maps/QqG2KMDt9mztiXfc8

I'm pretty sure I recall there being a trailblazer somewhere near the southern end of the New Jersey Turnpike as well, but I don't recall where.

It was around the old southbound Exit 1 mainline toll barrier on the NJ-700 part of the Turnpike.  I do not recall if it was before or after the barrier. 

There was also a Delaware Turnpike logo on a BGS panel on the southbound Turnpike after the Exit 1 barrier.  Given how much signage the New Jersey Turnpike has in Delaware, it seems that the NJTA could return the favor with one sign for the Delaware Turnpike south of the Exit 1 barrier (even though I disagree with Delaware only collecting tolls from traffic crossing the state line).

plain

Indeed, I forgot about this (the big one) that quick (plus I just drove past this 3 months ago smdh)
Newark born, Richmond bred

Mergingtraffic

I've been trying to find old pics of these signs of the BW Pkwy on the Baltimore maintained section of it.  I wonder when these and the ones for Waterview Ave and Westport were installed?

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

cb98

I don't believe he was disagreeing with the name you used; rather, I think he was referring to where the spot is in terms of today's naming.

Sorry about the confusion! I wasn't disagreeing, I've just always called it the B&W Parkway :biggrin:

Clinched | Flickr

cb98

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on January 14, 2021, 12:56:39 PM
I've been trying to find old pics of these signs of the BW Pkwy on the Baltimore maintained section of it.  I wonder when these and the ones for Waterview Ave and Westport were installed?

I feel like of all things, the best chance of pictures coming up would be on the this stretch of the B&W Parkway and the Harbor Tunnel. They've been there forever it seems!

Clinched | Flickr

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 14, 2021, 12:38:50 PM

It was around the old southbound Exit 1 mainline toll barrier on the NJ-700 part of the Turnpike.  I do not recall if it was before or after the barrier. 

There was also a Delaware Turnpike logo on a BGS panel on the southbound Turnpike after the Exit 1 barrier.  Given how much signage the New Jersey Turnpike has in Delaware, it seems that the NJTA could return the favor with one sign for the Delaware Turnpike south of the Exit 1 barrier (even though I disagree with Delaware only collecting tolls from traffic crossing the state line).

I haven't travelled through that area southbound by car in several years–most recent time I passed through by car (as opposed to on Amtrak) was northbound up the new US-301, then DE-1 to I-95 to I-495 en route to the Northeast Extension in June 2019–but I see from AARoads photos that even Delaware appears to have removed the Delaware Turnpike logo, and the misleading "TOLL ROAD" reference, from the pull-thru signs as I-295 approaches its end at I-95.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 14, 2021, 01:30:03 PM
I haven't travelled through that area southbound by car in several years–most recent time I passed through by car (as opposed to on Amtrak) was northbound up the new US-301, then DE-1 to I-95 to I-495 en route to the Northeast Extension in June 2019–but I see from AARoads photos that even Delaware appears to have removed the Delaware Turnpike logo, and the misleading "TOLL ROAD" reference, from the pull-thru signs as I-295 approaches its end at I-95.

The only place I have seen a Delaware Turnpike logo recently was at the service plaza on the Turnpike, around the toll booth that was there at least for a while.

SkyPesos

Would be interesting to see a picture of a I-70N sign if there is one out there. Vahighways.com has a couple of I-70S pics.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 14, 2021, 02:01:13 PM
Would be interesting to see a picture of a I-70N sign if there is one out there. Vahighways.com has a couple of I-70S pics.

There were I-70N signs on U.S. 40 (Edmondson Avenue) westbound at Cooks Lane in Baltimore City not that long ago (in 2014 or 2015), but those are gone now. 

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 14, 2021, 02:14:12 PM

There were I-70N signs on U.S. 40 at Cooks Lane in Baltimore City, but those are gone now. 

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 14, 2021, 02:16:38 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 14, 2021, 02:14:12 PM

There were I-70N signs on U.S. 40 at Cooks Lane in Baltimore City, but those are gone now. 

That would be the I-70N shield I had in mind. Thank you.

ixnay

Quote from: cb98 on January 14, 2021, 01:13:41 PM

Sorry about the confusion! I wasn't disagreeing, I've just always called it the B&W Parkway :biggrin:

I've heard one or two B'more traffic reporters refer to Baltimore-Annapolis Boulevard (part of MD 648) as "B&A Boulevard", perhaps channeling this long gone interurban...

https://www.annapolisrailroadhistory.com/baltimore-annapolis-railroad-overview

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

cb98

Quote from: ixnay on January 16, 2021, 08:42:06 PM

I've heard one or two B'more traffic reporters refer to Baltimore-Annapolis Boulevard (part of MD 648) as "B&A Boulevard", perhaps channeling this long gone interurban...

ixnay

B&A Boulevard (or just B&A sometimes, especially if talking about a place on the road) is very much my go-to name for MD 648 in Anne Arundel County! Still is the preferred route to Glen Burnie for my parents and I. Didn't realize the possible railroad connection to the name too, that's awesome :)

Clinched | Flickr

Alex

Replaced after 2012 but this overhead on Ingleside Avenue originally displayed I-70N. They simply removed the N from the 3-digit width shield for I-70.

ixnay

Quote from: cb98 on January 17, 2021, 01:26:15 AM

ixnay

B&A Boulevard (or just B&A sometimes, especially if talking about a place on the road) is very much my go-to name for MD 648 in Anne Arundel County! Still is the preferred route to Glen Burnie for my parents and I. Didn't realize the possible railroad connection to the name too, that's awesome :)

When I was growing up in Delaware Co., PA in the '70s, my mom and I would sometimes visit her aunt/my great aunt in Riviera Beach.  We would go by way of the Bay Bridge for some reason - I guess to avoid traffic on 95.  Anyway we would pick up MD 648 from MD 2 in Severna Park for the final run into Riviera Beach, and in  those days MD 648 was signed (street name wise) Old Annapolis Road.  I have no idea when it became B&A Blvd.

And closer to the topic, yes I do remember seeing that twin-shield-on-white "I-70N/695" sign at Cooks Lane and US 40 a couple of times in the '90s when I was in Baltimore City on business.  Looks quite like a Baltimore Public Works (or whatever the city govt. calls that dept.) sign.

ixnay
ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

cb98

Quote from: ixnay on January 17, 2021, 01:11:16 PM
Quote from: cb98 on January 17, 2021, 01:26:15 AM

ixnay

When I was growing up in Delaware Co., PA in the '70s, my mom and I would sometimes visit her aunt/my great aunt in Riviera Beach.  We would go by way of the Bay Bridge for some reason - I guess to avoid traffic on 95.  Anyway we would pick up MD 648 from MD 2 in Severna Park for the final run into Riviera Beach, and in  those days MD 648 was signed (street name wise) Old Annapolis Road.  I have no idea when it became B&A Blvd.

And closer to the topic, yes I do remember seeing that twin-shield-on-white "I-70N/695" sign at Cooks Lane and US 40 a couple of times in the '90s when I was in Baltimore City on business.  Looks quite like a Baltimore Public Works (or whatever the city govt. calls that dept.) sign.

ixnay
ixnay

On the Baltimore Beltway, one mileage sign on the outer loop still has MD 648 by that name, though I've always known it as B&A Blvd.

Clinched | Flickr

roadman65

I remember the old tube lighting the Harbor Tunnel Thruway used in the 1970s as well as the green mono tube mastarms for overhead signs on it as well.

I think green painted overhead mono tube gantries were the norm in all of Maryland at one time.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on January 19, 2021, 09:41:16 PM
I remember the old tube lighting the Harbor Tunnel Thruway used in the 1970s as well as the green mono tube mastarms for overhead signs on it as well.

I think green painted overhead mono tube gantries were the norm in all of Maryland at one time.

Most of those were pre-Interstate (I do not recall ever seeing one on I-495 or I-695).  There were some on what is now I-270, but I think they dated back to when the road was built and opened to traffic as U.S. 240.

There were also some on U.S. 50/U.S. 301 in Annapolis, another pre-Interstate freeway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.