News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Lake Shore Drive Renamed

Started by roadman65, June 25, 2021, 10:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 29, 2021, 08:50:28 AM
Quote from: hobsini2 on June 29, 2021, 07:36:45 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 28, 2021, 08:43:54 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on June 28, 2021, 07:46:06 PM
How about Lake Shore Drive?

the large-print edition of this thread, for 48-year-olds
"WHAT ABOUT DANKS?"
Locals who know the former Boers and Bernstein Show would get this.

At its peak, the best sports radio around.  Alas, none of it is very good right now.

Sports radio has never been good. I've yet to hear a sports radio show where the hosts seemed to be any more qualified to talk about sports than me, and I'm nothing special. It's a bunch of loudmouths who yell at callers that don't agree with their opinions.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hobsini2

"WHAT ABOUT DANKS?"

At its peak, the best sports radio around.  Alas, none of it is very good right now.

So true.  For what it's worth, I used to call in to the show for Who You Crappin with the name "The Blind Chauffeur".  First time I used that moniker, i got the famous Terry Boer's laugh.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

SEWIGuy

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 29, 2021, 10:07:33 AM

"WHAT ABOUT DANKS?"

So true.  For what it's worth, I used to call in to the show for Who You Crappin with the name "The Blind Chauffeur".  First time I used that moniker, i got the famous Terry Boer's laugh.

I vaguely remember the name!

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 29, 2021, 08:54:31 AM
Sports radio has never been good. I've yet to hear a sports radio show where the hosts seemed to be any more qualified to talk about sports than me, and I'm nothing special. It's a bunch of loudmouths who yell at callers that don't agree with their opinions.

Which was why B&B was very good at it's peak.  They talked about way more than sports and didn't devote a lot of time to callers. 

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

storm2k

Ask any New Yorker the last time they took the Joe DiMaggio Highway, Ed Koch Bridge, Hugh L Carey Tunnel, or Robert F Kennedy Bridge. Chances are they'll look at you askew until you mention the West Side Highway, Queensboro Bridge (or if you're really a New Yorker, the 59th Street Bridge), Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, or the Triboro Bridge.

It's just a name. it's not a big deal.

machias

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 26, 2021, 09:55:58 AM
Didn't Congress Parkway also get renamed? Around a couple years ago maybe? To what, I do not know.

Yes.  Ida Wells something

JoePCool14

Quote from: storm2k on June 29, 2021, 03:13:36 PM
It's just a name. it's not a big deal.

It isn't a big deal, but the powers that be love to make it a big deal, which is annoying.

edwaleni

Enough of the font management, thanks.

hobsini2

FWIW, I did hear a traffic report this morning on WCPT that did refer to LSD as "DuSable Lake Shore Dr". 
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Big John

ET21

Lake Shore Drive, no one will call it anything else

should have just renamed the Riverwalk after him since the dude literally settled on the banks of the Chicago River.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

JoePCool14

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 30, 2021, 01:16:25 PM
FWIW, I did hear a traffic report this morning on WCPT that did refer to LSD as "DuSable Lake Shore Dr".

Ewwww...

kenarmy

Quote from: machias on June 29, 2021, 08:37:47 PM
Didn't Congress Parkway also get renamed? Around a couple years ago maybe? To what, I do not know.

Im related to her and I didn't know this  :crazy:.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on June 30, 2021, 03:53:22 PM
Lake Shore Drive, no one will call it anything else

should have just renamed the Riverwalk after him since the dude literally settled on the banks of the Chicago River.

That was Lightfoot's idea; however, Alderman Moore was having none of it.  Never mind that there's already a DuSable High School, DuSable Harbor (right next to Lake Shore Drive and Grant Park), DuSable Park (which has yet to be completed), DuSable Museum of African American History, and DuSable Bridge (on Michigan Avenue over the Chicago River).  Renaming the Outer Drive was overkill. The funny thing is, DuSable himself was only in the area for a bit over a decade and left for St Charles, Missouri in 1800, before the establishment of Fort Dearborn.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: kenarmy on July 01, 2021, 12:42:37 AM
Quote from: machias on June 29, 2021, 08:37:47 PM

Im related to her and I didn't know this  :crazy:.

Yes, Congress between the Old Post Office and Columbus Drive is now Ida B Wells Drive.  West of there, Congress Parkway is still Congress Parkway.  This does; however, lead to Wells crossing Wells in the southwest Loop.  Compared to the attempt to rename Lake Shore Drive, this went through with few issues as I don't think many care about Congress (pun greatly intended).  :sombrero:

The attempt to rename the Drive is popular with Alderman Moore and his allies, but most people don't like it, and I have a feeling it'll never really be used.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bugo

Quote from: Rick Powell on June 26, 2021, 01:53:04 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 26, 2021, 01:27:59 PM
Don't forget also the nickname "LSD" where some people confuse it with a drug and could you imagine a full name like that for a song? ;)

Yeah, "Lysergic Acid Diethylamide 25 Drive" would be a clunky song title, or road name for that matter.

Sometimes when Molly and Lucy get together...

Finrod

Ask any New Yorker the last time they took the Joe DiMaggio Highway, Ed Koch Bridge, Hugh L Carey Tunnel, or Robert F Kennedy Bridge. Chances are they'll look at you askew until you mention the West Side Highway, Queensboro Bridge (or if you're really a New Yorker, the 59th Street Bridge), Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, or the Triboro Bridge.

No one would ever write a song about the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Rothman

Quote from: Finrod on July 05, 2021, 01:04:28 AM

No one would ever write a song about the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge.
I see what you did there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mrsman

Is I-57 named for someone?

Is that the only Chicago area expressway that does not have a name independent of its number?

JoePCool14

Quote from: mrsman on July 26, 2021, 11:57:25 AM

Is that the only Chicago area expressway that does not have a name independent of its number?

No it is not, and yes that is correct.

Brandon

Quote from: mrsman on July 26, 2021, 11:57:25 AM

Partially.  Technically, it's the West Leg Dan Ryan Expressway.

80 is still available sort of I have not heard the Moline expressway.
The Tri State still has an original name too. The naming thing has gone nuts all over the state. .It's no big deal. I do notice the traffic reporters use the new names the New Yorkers on WPIX and newsradio  88 dont.

Rick Powell

Quote from: 3467 on July 26, 2021, 04:49:33 PM
80 is still available sort of I have not heard the Moline expressway.
About 3 miles of I-80 is the Robert Kingery, from the 94 junction to the IN state line. 

I recall seeing Moline on part West of 57.

It was a thread on AS Roads from a defunct link called cook expressways It was post 5 on Nov 32 2016 on 57 in Chicago by Rick Powell.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.