News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Upgrading full length of I-35W to 6 lanes: Any plans in the works?

Started by thisdj78, December 28, 2023, 12:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisdj78

I have driven I-35W and I-35E several times in the last few months and it seemed like W was just as busy, if not busier than E (even when taking the 4 lane vs 6 lane into account). I looked up daily traffic counts on each stretch just north of Hillsboro and it's 37K for W and 39K for E. I'm surprised 35W hasn't been upgraded to 6 lanes yet or it wasn't done at the same time that 35E was a few years ago. Anyone heard of any plans?

BJ59

I think there are plans and even studies underway to upgrade I-35W from Texas Motor Speedway to the I-35 interchange to 6 lanes. I have also seen plans to expand the express lanes all the way up to Denton too but I think those are planned for around 2050.

As for I-35W south of the metro I'm not sure, but I think they need to expand it to 8 lanes from Fort Worth to Burleson and to 6 lanes from at least Burleson to Alvarado.

thisdj78

Quote from: BJ59 on December 28, 2023, 12:40:35 AM
I think there are plans and even studies underway to upgrade I-35W from Texas Motor Speedway to the I-35 interchange to 6 lanes. I have also seen plans to expand the express lanes all the way up to Denton too but I think those are planned for around 2050.

As for I-35W south of the metro I'm not sure, but I think they need to expand it to 8 lanes from Fort Worth to Burleson and to 6 lanes from at least Burleson to Alvarado.

I think I remember some plans for expansion down to Alvarado but not the segment between there and Hillsboro.

Bobby5280

Traffic counts on I-35E to the North of Hillsboro start ballooning near Waxahachie on up. The six-laning project on I-35E from the E/W split to Milford looks like it is pretty much completed. Of course there are several other big super highway expansion projects in the DFW area.

South of Fort Worth I think I-35W should be expanded from 3x3 to 4x4 lanes between I-20 and the split with Wilshire Blvd (TX-174). I-35W drops to 2x2 lanes South of that Y-split now. I don't know if I-35W needs to be expanded to 3x3 all the way down to Hillsboro. It should be 3x3 down at least as far as Alvarado.

North of Fort Worth I'm surprised I-35W wasn't already upgraded to at least 3x3 lanes all the way up to Denton. I can't tell for sure what the I-35W expansion project from the US-287 split up to Alliance Airport is going to deliver as a finished product. I have a sneaking suspicion it will be a 2x2x2x2 configuration like I-820 East of the I-35W interchange. Meanwhile the segment of I-35W crossing TX-114 should probably be a 4x4 configuration rather than the 2x2 nonsense that it is now.

motorola870

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 28, 2023, 01:29:23 PM
Traffic counts on I-35E to the North of Hillsboro start ballooning near Waxahachie on up. The six-laning project on I-35E from the E/W split to Milford looks like it is pretty much completed. Of course there are several other big super highway expansion projects in the DFW area.

South of Fort Worth I think I-35W should be expanded from 3x3 to 4x4 lanes between I-20 and the split with Wilshire Blvd (TX-174). I-35W drops to 2x2 lanes South of that Y-split now. I don't know if I-35W needs to be expanded to 3x3 all the down to Hillsboro. It should be 3x3 down at least as far as Alvarado.

North of Fort Worth I'm surprised I-35W wasn't upgraded to at least 3x3 lanes all the way up to Denton. I can't tell for sure what the I-35W expansion project from the US-287 split up to Alliance Airport is going to deliver as a finished product. I have a sneaking suspicion it will be a 2x2x2x2 configuration like I-820 East of the I-35W interchange. Meanwhile the segment of I-35W crossing TX-114 should probably be a 4x4 configuration rather than the 2x2 nonsense that it is now.
https://www.txdot.gov/projects/projects-studies/fort-worth/i35w-corridor.html

Project Study is under way with initial plans to make I35W a 3x3 from Renfro St./FM3391 to the CR405 interchange on the south side of Alvarado.

BJ59

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 28, 2023, 01:29:23 PM
I can't tell for sure what the I-35W expansion project from the US-287 split up to Alliance Airport is going to deliver as a finished product. I have a sneaking suspicion it will be a 2x2x2x2 configuration like I-820 East of the I-35W interchange.

That stretch was finished in June and it is a 2x2x2x2. I think there is also room to add a 3rd main lane in each direction.

Bobby5280

Good grief. 2x2x2x2.

It turns out there is 12/2023 Google Street View imagery on I-35W through parts of the finished project. From what I can see it sure doesn't look like there is any room for additional lanes. Not unless an additional lane would be allowed to eat up shoulder area (which would be a bad idea).

In_Correct

A reason why Interstate 35W seems busier than Interstate 35E ( and possesses numerous traffic jams ) is be cause a segment between Interstate 35 and Exit 70 has no Frontage Roads around. The moment the traffic flows again is typically near the area that Frontage Roads begin. Before they increase a 2 X 2 configuration to a 3 X 3 configuration, it is best for them to be constructing the Frontage Roads first.

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Bobby5280

Denton Creek is a natural obstacle for extending frontage roads North of Dale Earnhardt Blvd. A 3x3 widening project for I-35W thru that area would require seriously modifying or replacing several bridges going over the creek.

Frontage roads for I-35W probably do need to be built from the Cross Timbers Road exit (just North of Denton Creek) on North up to (maybe Vintage Blvd), near the I-35E/W split. There is a lot of new housing subdivisions being built in that area (Justin, Corral City, etc). Hickory Creek is another obstacle just North of the Vintage Blvd exit. I don't think frontage roads are necessary there since a bunch of that land looks like it's in a flood plain.

thisdj78

Quote from: In_Correct on January 01, 2024, 03:24:53 AM

A reason why Interstate 35W seems busier than Interstate 35E ( and possesses numerous traffic jams ) is be cause a segment between Interstate 35 and Exit 70 has no Frontage Roads around. The moment the traffic flows again is typically near the area that Frontage Roads begin. Before they increase a 2 X 2 configuration to a 3 X 3 configuration, it is best for them to be constructing the Frontage Roads first.

I was initially using the segments just north of Hillsboro as an example. Neither side has frontage roads in that area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.