SH-190/PGBT Tollway East Branch extension to I-20 (Segment VIII)

Started by ZLoth, March 12, 2023, 12:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

Anyone want to hazard any guesses as to when they will extend SH-190/President George Bush Turnpike from I-30 (current termination) to I-20 aka Segment VIII? My guess is that it probably won't be until 2030 when the first shovel of dirt is turned over. It appears that NTTA's priority is to extend the Dallas North Tollway northward in preparation for the growth that is occurring in that area.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Bobby5280

I'm skeptical the NTTA will be able to extend the PGBT on South of I-30 at all. Ever. They farted around for too many years doing nothing and have missed their shot. 15 years ago there was a lot of green field space between I-30 and I-20 by Lake Ray Hubbard and South of Rowlett Dam. Not anymore. If they want to extend the PGBT down to I-20 now the NTTA will damned near be forced to build a causeway over Lake Ray Hubbard and thru the wetlands along the East Fork of the Trinity River. Environmentalists and other groups would have a cow over that.

ZLoth

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 12, 2023, 12:17:07 AM15 years ago there was a lot of green field space between I-30 and I-20 by Lake Ray Hubbard and South of Rowlett Dam. Not anymore.
Fifteen years ago would be... 2008. And, we knew what happened back then.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

The Ghostbuster

Why does the PGBT have two state Highway designations (TX 161, TX 190)? I would think one designation (or none) would suffice.

ZLoth

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 12, 2023, 12:43:06 PMWhy does the PGBT have two state Highway designations (TX 161, TX 190)? I would think one designation (or none) would suffice.
Those designations apply to the frontage roads, not to the tollway itself. Also, there is a portion of the PGBT near the DFW International that isn't tolled.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 12, 2023, 12:43:06 PM
Why does the PGBT have two state Highway designations (TX 161, TX 190)? I would think one designation (or none) would suffice.

The entire outer loop project was originally Loop 9. But the Loop 9 designation became tarnished after controversy in the 1970s so it was rebranded in October 1977 to be SH 161 west of I-35E, and SH 190 east of I-35E. I don't know why the project was split at I-35E. I would need to look through my research notes, which are not readily available to me on the computer I'm using right now.

Of course, the Loop 9 designation still survives for the south section, which is currently under construction (frontage road only).
http://dfwfreeways.com/book/ExBush?startOdd=False

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

MaxConcrete

Recently available from NTTA
https://www.ntta.org/sites/default/files/2023-03/CPR_PGBT_EastBranchProj._SPRING_23_secure.pdf

According to the data sheet, planning is in progress. However, no timeline in provided.

When NTTA identifies a project to build, they always build it. (NTTA never committed to the canceled Trinity Parkway.) My best guess is for construction to start between 2026 and 2029.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Bobby5280

All I can do is laugh and perhaps say to the NTTA, "good luck!"

The area where the Southeast extension of the PGBT from I-30 to I-20 was supposed to be built is already pretty covered up in relatively new residential development. By the 2026-29 time frame that area will be even more densely covered up in new development. It's easy to imagine a flurry of lawsuits between the state of Texas and property owners flying through the air like food items and lunch trays in the Animal House food fight scene.

The Ghostbuster

Wikipedia mentions a proposed outerbelt called Loop 9, that might be connected to the PGBT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_State_Highway_Loop_9. Has anyone else heard of this? Although it won't be constructed for a couple decades, it seems pipe-dreamish to me. On the other hand, I could be wrong.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 24, 2023, 11:44:20 AM
Wikipedia mentions a proposed outerbelt called Loop 9, that might be connected to the PGBT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_State_Highway_Loop_9. Has anyone else heard of this? Although it won't be constructed for a couple decades, it seems pipe-dreamish to me. On the other hand, I could be wrong.

A part of Loop-9 is built as a future service road between TX-121 and US-75 north of Melissa known as Collin County Outer Loop road.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3138288,-96.5639294,15z

MaxConcrete

Loop 9 is not a pipe dream. The section from I-45 to I-35E south of Dallas is under construction (frontage road only). A public meeting was recently held for the next section going west, from I-35E to US 67.
https://www.keepitmovingdallas.com/public-hearings/2022/notice-of-availability-of-draft-environmental-impact-statement-eis-and-public-0

Originally, the entire outer loop around Dallas was designated as Loop 9. But it encountered public opposition in the 1970s. In 1977, the north and east sections were renumbered as SH 190, and the west section became SH 161. The south section remained, but was left for dead. Eventually the south section was brought back to life and is now an active project.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: MaxConcrete on March 24, 2023, 05:49:34 PM
Loop 9 is not a pipe dream. The section from I-45 to I-35E south of Dallas is under construction (frontage road only). A public meeting was recently held for the next section going west, from I-35E to US 67.
https://www.keepitmovingdallas.com/public-hearings/2022/notice-of-availability-of-draft-environmental-impact-statement-eis-and-public-0

And there some satellite shots who show the first gap of Loop 9 corridor showing the construction taken at different dates. Google maps didn't updated the shots of that area yet.
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=32.55821,-96.67102&z=14&t=S
https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=430de98a-6a72-4dfe-a6c9-371554a55b34&cp=32.549028~-96.740387&lvl=14.01&style=a&pi=0&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027
https://satellites.pro/USA_map#32.547790,-96.738138,13

Urban Prairie Schooner

Maybe this would have worked 30 years ago, but between development that would have to be cleared and the opposition of rich homeowners in Sunnyvale, I can't see this ever being built. Not to mention the potential impacts on the drinking water in Lake Ray Hubbard.

The SH 205 corridor might work as an alternative. I imagine the traffic flows between Rockwall and Terrell are only going to increase.

thisdj78

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on March 24, 2023, 10:20:51 PM
Maybe this would have worked 30 years ago, but between development that would have to be cleared and the opposition of rich homeowners in Sunnyvale, I can't see this ever being built. Not to mention the potential impacts on the drinking water in Lake Ray Hubbard.

The SH 205 corridor might work as an alternative. I imagine the traffic flows between Rockwall and Terrell are only going to increase.

The toughest part will be the area immediately south of I-30 where they have an apartment complex and a neighborhood right there where the current end of PGBT is. But once you get past that area, the proposed route goes east of most of the residential
areas, including Sunnyvale. The route will cross US-80 near Lawson rd.

Road Hog

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on March 24, 2023, 03:46:39 PM

A part of Loop-9 is built as a future service road between TX-121 and US-75 north of Melissa known as Collin County Outer Loop road.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3138288,-96.5639294,15z
The Collin County Outer Loop has actually been progressing quite rapidly. A frontage road is now open between Dallas Parkway and Custer Road, as well as the aforementioned segment between US 75 and SH 121. Construction will begin later this year on connecting the two segments. East-west connectivity in the county is sorely lacking, and this new roadway will be a gamechanger.

Direct Path

The East Branch 190; according to the website NTTA FY2023-FY2025 Comprehensive Budget plan, and to my best understanding is that 36.5 mil already has been budgeted for ROW acquisition and design with an increase up to 71 million by 2025. Early, back in 2022, I contacted one of the representatives and he gave a rough estimate "In A Few Years". So, in my own opinion, and the possibility I'm in the direct pathway even closely adjacent to, and through myself research of the area, plus considering the now current construction on the I 30 bridge over Lake Ray Hubbard and the I 30-635 interchange are both scheduled to be completed by 2025; most likely, ROW acquisition for East Branch 190 will begin in 2025; and construction letting possibly will begin around 2026. My belief is that it will extend from the already half existing interchange at PGBT-I 30 in S Garland, Dallas County; continuing closely down by the lake into Sunnyvale; Kaufman County to highway 80 and Lawson Rd; these area's have less existing development... Furthermore,  continues on to I 20. And, after the completion of The East Brach 190, Loop 9 E phase will start. It looks like, Loop 9 will intertwine with the already existing I 20.

Road Hog

The so-called Loop 9 is currently more of a Southern Metroplex thing, but it could be conceivably expanded to include Collin and Denton as at present NTTA is not involved in funding. The southern part is purely a TxDOT joint.

HighwayStar

Texas tends to get things done, so I have hope they will build this section. The best way would actually be to build everything but the section immediately south of I-30 and have it dump out on a couple local roads. Then let motorists figure out how to get between the sections. After a while that will stimulate local support for a better solution, be that a realignment along the lake or a buyout of enough property to build a proper road.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

The Ghostbuster

It looks like quite a bit will have to be torn down immediately south of Interstate 30 to extend the PGBT. Some houses will have to be demolished on the south side of Barnes Bridge Rd. South of the Polly Rd./E. Town East Blvd./East Fork Rd. vicinity, there is open space where the PGBT extension could be constructed without any relocations necessary. I hope I am looking at the correct alignment for the PGBT extension.

thisdj78

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 22, 2023, 08:47:41 PM
It looks like quite a bit will have to be torn down immediately south of Interstate 30 to extend the PGBT. Some houses will have to be demolished on the south side of Barnes Bridge Rd. South of the Polly Rd./E. Town East Blvd./East Fork Rd. vicinity, there is open space where the PGBT extension could be constructed without any relocations necessary. I hope I am looking at the correct alignment for the PGBT extension.

Back in 2013, it was estimated that $84M would be needed for ROW acquisition for the extension ($110M in today's money). Looks like the average home value is about $300K just south of the current end of the PGBT. Assuming most of that funding will be needed for that area, that covers more than 300 homes.

BJ59

NTTA would be funding this project right? If TxDot funded it I don't think they could afford $100M in right of way costs. I could maybe see NTTA funding it with all the toll revenue they make.

Ellie

Quote from: BJ59 on August 29, 2023, 08:38:59 PM
NTTA would be funding this project right? If TxDot funded it I don't think they could afford $100M in right of way costs. I could maybe see NTTA funding it with all the toll revenue they make.

Yes, this would be funded by the NTTA.

bwana39

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

05danper42842

It would be great if the PGBT East branch was done as a elevated highway. I am curious how will the schematics will look like?
Daniel Perez

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.