News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-49 Inner-city Connector(Shreveport)

Started by Plutonic Panda, September 23, 2021, 04:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

This project deserves its own thread. It has moved forward to Louisiana's Historical Preservation Society according to this article:

https://www.ksla.com/2021/09/22/controversial-i-49-inner-city-connector-project-shreveport-is-standstill/

Plutonic Panda

silverback1065

I don't live here so what do I know but it seems like routing it on 220 and 3132 is the best idea.

cjk374

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 23, 2021, 05:55:35 PM
I don't live here so what do I know but it seems like routing it on 220 and 3132 is the best idea.

Studies have shown that it is cheaper to build new terrain road than to upgrade LA 3132, the sharp curve located at MP 0 on I-220, and add extra lanes to the 2 mile long Cross Lake bridge.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Bobby5280

The neighborhood thru which the I-49 ICC is proposed to run features a lot of vacant lots and run down properties. This is not exactly an attractive historical district. No one who lives outside of that part of Shreveport is going to have any reason to visit that neighborhood.

If the I-49 ICC was built it would attract new businesses, new development and new jobs to that neighborhood. If the "Loop It" option was pursued or, more likely, the "no build" alternative chosen, then thru traffic using I-49 would go nowhere near downtown Shreveport or that neighborhood just to the West of it. Any new business development relating to I-49 would go to the edges of Shreveport, not the central area.

Anthony_JK

So, the Loop It/Allendale Strong groups are using the Cultural Surveys option as their means to block the ICC? Really??

Other than that small portion north of Caddo/Ford Street to SWEPO Park, I don't really see any cultural resources or residential displacements that would dissuade development within Shreveport.

Also, if Shawn Wilson (LaDOTD Secretary) is crawfishing back to the "boulevard" option, then wouldn't that add even more expense to the "Loop It" option, since there still would be the need for a through freeway connection at the ends of this "boulevard"?

Looks to me like they are putting all their eggs in the basket of Buttigieg's anti-freeway opposition. LotsaLuck on that.

Anthony_JK

Also, props to LADOTD for finally updating the ICC website. Took them a good while.

bwana39

This is what the economics say.
Build Alternative 1 Inner City Connector
– Fully elevated, 2 internal interchanges, 4 lanes - $547M
– Fully elevated, 2 internal interchanges, 6 lanes - $640M
Build Alternative 5**Loop It
– Resurfacing and widening existing LA 3132 - $832M
– Reconstruction and widening existing LA 3132 - $846M

I have said this over and over again. The businesses in the affected area of Allendale (small mechanic's shops, used tire stores, not much else) support the ICC. The affected neighborhood north of Caddo street and East of Allen Avenue will be worth more after the construction.  There isn't much between Allen Avenue and downtown as far as goes residential units.  There is some apartment construction a good bit east of the ROW.  There will be a few reasonable quality homes lost to the construction, but most of the units (including a  rather old apartment complex) are things that are at least sub-standard if not below what should be habitations for anyone. I would add one other thing, they could buy ALL of the businesses,  and occupied houses in the freeway path AND in the area north of Ford Street and East of the ICC for SIGNIFICANTLY less than the difference (probably around $10-million or less to buy all of them and resettle the occupants)

I would like to see how the house to house surveys came out. (Then again that all depends on the way the questions were phrased. )

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bwana39

https://www.ksla.com/2021/10/28/overturned-mobile-home-closes-i-220-cross-lake-bridge-drivers-advised-avoid-area/

By this afternoon, traffic had figured out to avoid I-220. The side roads were a mess.

This is only a minor part of why Shreveport needs the Inner city connector.  I -220 , Market Street and Grimmet Drive are the sole ways from north to south. When I-220 gets blocked, there are hours long delays.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: bwana39 on September 24, 2021, 11:16:07 PM
— Fully elevated, 2 internal interchanges, 6 lanes - $640M

— Reconstruction and widening existing LA 3132 - $846M
Both of these need to happen. Several parts of I-20 need to rebuilt and expanded. I really never thought about it until now but Shreveports freeways are severely neglected. Lots of money the state should pour into fixing them.

Henry

It's good to see that Shreveport is on board with it. If something like this were planned 50 years ago, they'd shoot it down in a heartbeat.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MikieTimT

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 29, 2021, 12:37:12 AM

Both of these need to happen. Several parts of I-20 need to rebuilt and expanded. I really never thought about it until now but Shreveports freeways are severely neglected. Lots of money the state should pour into fixing them.

It's crazy that less than 4 miles of 6 lane costs $640M.  I guess there'll be lots of overpass/bridge mileage, though, due to the waterway and cross streets.

bwana39

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 29, 2021, 02:23:49 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 29, 2021, 12:37:12 AM

It's crazy that less than 4 miles of 6 lane costs $640M.  I guess there'll be lots of overpass/bridge mileage, though, due to the waterway and cross streets.

It is all to be elevated. That said, only about a mile and a half is actually not subject to flooding.

bassoon1986

I really hope it's built with 6 lanes just how it is from the Inner Loop up to I-20.

I'm honestly shocked that Most of I-20 through Bossier City isn't 3x3 and that there is still 4 lanes only at the lane drops leading to the Red River bridge in downtown Shreveport.

iPhone

bwana39

Quote from: bassoon1986 on October 30, 2021, 01:00:28 PM
I really hope it's built with 6 lanes just how it is from the Inner Loop up to I-20.

I'm honestly shocked that Most of I-20 through Bossier City isn't 3x3 and that there is still 4 lanes only at the lane drops leading to the Red River bridge in downtown Shreveport.

iPhone

Not any reason it shouldn't. The part north of I-220 is six lanes to Market Street

bassoon1986

Quote from: bwana39 on October 30, 2021, 01:34:29 PM

iPhone

Not any reason it shouldn't. The part north of I-220 is six lanes to Market Street
It's not that far. Just from I-220 interchange to MLK.

iPhone

bwana39

Quote from: bassoon1986 on October 30, 2021, 02:36:18 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on October 30, 2021, 01:34:29 PM

iPhone

It's not that far. Just from I-220 interchange to MLK.

iPhone

You're right. i drive it virtually every day and I had not paid enough attention to it to know better.

bwana39

I really hope it’s built with 6 lanes just how it is from the Inner Loop up to I-20.

I’m honestly shocked that Most of I-20 through Bossier City isn’t 3x3 and that there is still 4 lanes only at the lane drops leading to the Red River bridge in downtown Shreveport.

iPhone

There is a planned widening of I-20 from around Airline Dr to east of I-220 in Bossier Parish.  The part west of Airline is a little trickier.

abqtraveler

Quote from: bwana39 on November 03, 2021, 02:46:10 PM

iPhone

There is a planned widening from around Airline Dr to east of I-220 in Bossier Parish.  The part west of Airline is a little trickier.

They would need to widen I-20 between Airline and I-220, especially now that they're building the new main gate for Barksdale AFB that will connect directly to the I-20/I-220 interchange. That will certainly increase the amount of traffic using that stretch of I-20.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Henry

Now that the Transportation Bill has been passed, LA should set aside at least $1 billion for this project, especially since Allendale really wants it (a classic example of a YIMBY neighborhood).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

codyg1985

Quote from: Henry on November 08, 2021, 10:07:47 AM
Now that the Transportation Bill has been passed, LA should set aside at least $1 billion for this project, especially since Allendale really wants it (a classic example of a YIMBY neighborhood).

It would be competing with the I-10 Calcasieu River bridge along with maybe a new Baton Rouge Mississippi River bridge.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 08, 2021, 11:00:34 AM

It would be competing with the I-10 Calcasieu River bridge along with maybe a new Baton Rouge Mississippi River bridge.
It shouldn't compete, all three need to happen along with a rebuild of I-10 through NOLA as long as they don't decide to tear it down and give it the NY treatment.

The I-10 bridge over the Mississippi in Baton Rouge needs to be replaced and widened. Are they even talking about it?

bwana39

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on November 08, 2021, 02:30:18 PM

It shouldn't compete, all three need to happen along with a rebuild of I-10 through NOLA as long as they don't decide to tear it down and give it the NY treatment.

The I-10 bridge over the Mississippi in Baton Rouge needs to be replaced and widened. Are they even talking about it?

The I-10 (Horace Wilkinson) bridge has lots of life left in it. It is really over its capacity. It is thought that a bridge to the west bank around Gonzales with a freeway from I-10 to the bridge and along the west bank to around Port Allen would minimize the gridlock  on the Wilkinson bridge.  Yes, there needs to be more capacity for through traffic. Just building more bridge where the HWB is probably is not the best answer.

jbnv

And I-49 South. Though as mentioned, they won't be competing for those funds if the Legislature dedicates the funds, which it needs to do.

Copying in my comments from the Lafayette Connector thread:

Quote from: jbnv on November 09, 2021, 01:23:02 PM
Quote from: Henry on November 08, 2021, 10:05:19 AM
If the Lafayette Connector and Shreveport ICC can be done within the same timeframe, good for them.

$6 billion should be enough to finish I-49 South, Shreveport ICC, a new bridge at Calcasieu River and fixing the I-10 bottleneck in Baton Rouge. If the Legislature gets its act together, dedicates the funds and declares that These Things Will Get Done, then it can get leverage to persuade voters for additional taxes to fix other infrastructure issues. They should be able to get Edwards's signature on a package so that Edwards can retire from public service with his legacy in tact.

My fear is that they won't get together and these projects will drag out and cost more than we're getting. Too bad we aren't electing a governor until 2023, because this would be a *great* thing to have on the table in an election year. At best it's an opportunity for an ambitious legislator to get his name in the public eye so he can be the viable candidate not named Jeff Landry in 2023. If I were a state Senator or Representative from north/central Louisiana I'd get things in writing before south Louisiana locks up all of the funds.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

bwana39

https://www.ksla.com/2021/11/12/mayor-perkins-attend-signing-infrastructure-bill-white-house/

The Shreveport mayor has his eyes on some of the infrastructure money.

The projects seem to be The ICC, LA-3132 to the port, the I-49 port connector (future I-69?), Jimmie Davis Bridge replacement,

These are the start. The port bridge and the port to I-20 section of I-69

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.