News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois Road Videos

Started by Crash_It, October 24, 2021, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 14, 2022, 03:02:36 PM
Make it a 100% focus on road videos and 0% on rage and hatred and we'll be happy.
But he gets more views honking at people.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 14, 2022, 11:01:56 AM
4.  Be prepared to deal with "Illinois is flat"  memes and not react to them.  That all started because you got offended when you try to say the state wasn't.

If I were you at this point, I would embrace the memes. Admit you were wrong (which you are - Illinois IS flat) and we can all laugh about it together.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Crash_It

New video of an unmarked state highway as well as horseshoe lake state park is out now!

https://youtu.be/k39QrS4jVIE

kphoger

1.  Totally drop the bad driver, road rage and cammer garbage nobody wants to see.  This would include stopping trying to be a "legal expert"  on driving laws and going all vigilante with your car horn.

I'm curious to know how many of these Illinois traffic laws |Crash_It| chooses to disobey on occasion:

Quote from: Illinois Compiled Statutes
(625 ILCS 5/) Illinois Vehicle Code

Sec. 11-1005. Pedestrians to use right half of crosswalks

Pedestrians shall move, whenever practicable, upon the right half of crosswalks.

Sec. 11-1511. Turn and stop signals

(b) A signal of intention to turn right or left when required shall be given during not less than the last 100 feet traveled by the bicycle before turning, and shall be given while the bicycle is stopped waiting to turn. A signal by hand and arm need not be given continuously if the hand is needed in the control or operation of the bicycle.

Sec. 11-1409. Driving on mountain highways

The driver of a motor vehicle traveling through defiles or canyons or on mountain highways shall hold such motor vehicle under control and as near the right-hand edge of the roadway as reasonably possible and, except when driving entirely to the right of the center of the roadway, shall give audible warning with the horn of such motor vehicle upon approaching any curve where the view is obstructed within a distance of 200 feet along the highway.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Crash_It

Quote from: kphoger on May 16, 2022, 03:01:43 PM
1.  Totally drop the bad driver, road rage and cammer garbage nobody wants to see.  This would include stopping trying to be a "legal expert"  on driving laws and going all vigilante with your car horn.

I'm curious to know how many of these Illinois traffic laws |Crash_It| chooses to disobey on occasion:

Sec. 11-1005. Pedestrians to use right half of crosswalks

Pedestrians shall move, whenever practicable, upon the right half of crosswalks.

Sec. 11-1511. Turn and stop signals

(b) A signal of intention to turn right or left when required shall be given during not less than the last 100 feet traveled by the bicycle before turning, and shall be given while the bicycle is stopped waiting to turn. A signal by hand and arm need not be given continuously if the hand is needed in the control or operation of the bicycle.

The driver of a motor vehicle traveling through defiles or canyons or on mountain highways shall hold such motor vehicle under control and as near the right-hand edge of the roadway as reasonably possible and, except when driving entirely to the right of the center of the roadway, shall give audible warning with the horn of such motor vehicle upon approaching any curve where the view is obstructed within a distance of 200 feet along the highway.

None

kphoger

Quote from: Crash_It on May 16, 2022, 03:51:59 PM
None

So, without fail, you always make sure to use the right half of crosswalks.  Wow, you're the first person I've ever mentioned that law to, who actually said they do.  Shall I expect some upcoming videos from you about all those dangerous scofflaws who use the left half?

And you signal your turns when cycling from 100 feet in advance of your turn?  (For the sake of visualization, this is more than half the distance between alley and street–or approximately the width of four narrow Chicago residential lots.

And you always honk your horn at blind curves when driving through Illinois canyons?  I don't think I've ever encountered anyone doing that!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on May 16, 2022, 03:58:40 PM
And you always honk your horn at blind curves when driving through Illinois canyons?  I don't think I've ever encountered anyone doing that!
No need, since there aren't any mountains, defiles or canyons in Flat Illinois.

JoePCool14

Oh the irony.  :spin:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 16, 2022, 06:31:46 PM

Oh the irony.  :spin:

Most people aside from OHV types don't even do that in the western states where that kind of road is infinitely more likely to be a thing.

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 15, 2022, 09:40:49 AM
4.  Be prepared to deal with "Illinois is flat"  memes and not react to them.  That all started because you got offended when you try to say the state wasn't.

If I were you at this point, I would embrace the memes. Admit you were wrong (which you are - Illinois IS flat) and we can all laugh about it together.

At this point "Illinois is flat"  is the modern community analog for Alanland or I-366. 

Max Rockatansky

I feel as though we aren't doing enough to make a meme out of Human Vision/DashCam:

https://fb.watch/d2DJftDWYl/

I particularly enjoy that an alleged family member who just happens to be a bus driver was supposedly petitioned for their expert analysis. 

Crash_It

Quote from: GaryV on May 16, 2022, 04:48:05 PM

False. Wouldn't be in the code if there wasn't such a feature. The roads around Starved Rock and Mississippi Palisades are like that. Possibly more.

Max Rockatansky

Yeah, what legislative body would allow meaningless and/or antiquated traffic codes to remain on the books?  It's not like there might be someone out there running amuck misinterpreting any of them. 

By the way, does the four second rule also apply if you drop food on the floor?

Flint1979

I have never seen someone so butthurt over Illinois being called flat which is exactly what it is.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 16, 2022, 09:50:52 PM
I have never seen someone so butthurt over Illinois being called flat which is exactly what it is.

A strange "hill"  to die upon, especially when said hill is so flat. 

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 16, 2022, 09:57:35 PM

I don't even think Michigan is that hilly. It is in certain areas but not overall as a state I wouldn't say.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 16, 2022, 10:01:54 PM

I don't even think Michigan is that hilly. It is in certain areas but not overall as a state I wouldn't say.

Our family cabin up by Traverse City is just a couple miles from the Sleeping Bear Dunes.  Those are some of the few actual substantial hilly features I can think of as being noteworthy in the entire Midwest.  It certainly doesn't exempt Michigan from it's general flatness. 

TheHighwayMan3561

Thought of you today when this random "150 best places to live" article came across:

Peoria was the first Illinois city, not until #50 and underneath at least 10-15 other Midwestern cities.  :bigass:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: Crash_It on May 16, 2022, 08:06:10 PM

False. Wouldn't be in the code if there wasn't such a feature. The roads around Starved Rock and Mississippi Palisades are like that. Possibly more.

I have my doubts that you can identify a single road in Illinois that meets all of the following criteria, for that law to apply:
(1) is in a canyon or mountainous location;
(2) isn't already striped for two-way traffic, such that driving entirely to the right of the center is already required by Article VII;
(3) has curvature so tight that there's a blind curve with visibility less than 200 feet.

Maybe you can.  Remember, I'm someone who thinks the scenery of Illinois's non-flat areas is underappreciated.  There may well be a backroad like that somewhere in southern Illinois, and I'd be interested to know if that's actually the case.  But, still, I have my doubts.

At least I can rest assured that, whenever you drive that road, you always honk your horn at the blind curve.  At least I know you're not a reckless lawbreaker.

But, more to the point:  that's not the reason such a law is on the books in Illinois anyway.  The real reason is that it's in the UVC and, with only occasional exceptions, Illinois has adopted the UVC verbatim.  See below.

Quote from: Uniform Vehicle Code, Millennium Edition
Chapter 11 – Rules of the Road

Article XI – Miscellaneous Rules

Section 11-1107 – Driving on mountain highways

Article XIV – Miscellaneous Laws

Sec. 11-1409 – Driving on mountain highways

Are there any tunnels on Illinois roads?  I can't think of any.  If there are, then please feel free to ignore the rest of this post.  But, assuming there aren't any highway tunnels in Illinois, then consider the following.

Illinois has a law on the books about what to do at a blind approach to a tunnel ...

Article III – Driving on Right Side of Roadway – Overtaking and Passing – Use of Roadway

Section 11-306 – Further limitations on driving on left of center of roadway

(a) No vehicle shall be driven on the left side of the roadway under the following conditions:

3. When the view is obstructed upon approaching within 100 feet of any bridge, viaduct or tunnel.

Article VII – Driving on Right Side of Roadway; Overtaking and Passing, etc.

Sec. 11-706 – Further limitations on driving to the left of center of roadway

(a) No vehicle shall be driven on the left side of the roadway under the following conditions:

3. When the view is obstructed upon approaching within 100 feet of any bridge, viaduct or tunnel.

... and also prohibiting people from parking in tunnels.

Article X – Stopping, Standing and Parking

Section 11-1003 – Stopping, standing, or parking prohibited in specified places

(a) Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or official traffic-control device, no person shall:

1. Stop, stand, or park a vehicle:

G. Upon any bridge or other elevated structure upon a highway or within a highway tunnel;

Article XIII – Stopping, Standing, and Parking

Sec. 11-1303 – Stopping, standing or parking prohibited in specified places

a) Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or official traffic-control device, no person shall:

1. Stop, stand or park a vehicle:

g. Upon any bridge or other elevated structure upon a highway or within a highway tunnel;
Male pronouns, please.

Crash_It

Quote from: kphoger on May 17, 2022, 02:09:01 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on May 16, 2022, 08:06:10 PM

I have my doubts that you can identify a single road in Illinois that meets all of the following criteria, for that law to apply:
(2) isn't already striped for two-way traffic, such that driving entirely to the right of the center is already required by Article VII;
(3) has curvature so tight that there's a blind curve with visibility less than 200 feet.

Maybe you can.  Remember, I'm someone who thinks the scenery of Illinois's non-flat areas is underappreciated.  There may well be a backroad like that somewhere in southern Illinois, and I'd be interested to know if that's actually the case.  But, still, I have my doubts.

At least I can rest assured that, whenever you drive that road, you always honk your horn at the blind curve.  At least I know you're not a reckless lawbreaker.

But, more to the point:  that's not the reason such a law is on the books in Illinois anyway.  The real reason is that it's in the UVC and, with only occasional exceptions, Illinois has adopted the UVC verbatim.  See below.

Article XI – Miscellaneous Rules

Section 11-1107 – Driving on mountain highways

Article XIV – Miscellaneous Laws

Sec. 11-1409 – Driving on mountain highways

Are there any tunnels on Illinois roads?  I can't think of any.  If there are, then please feel free to ignore the rest of this post.  But, assuming there aren't any highway tunnels in Illinois, then consider the following.

Illinois has a law on the books about what to do at a blind approach to a tunnel ...

Article III – Driving on Right Side of Roadway – Overtaking and Passing – Use of Roadway

Section 11-306 – Further limitations on driving on left of center of roadway

Article VII – Driving on Right Side of Roadway; Overtaking and Passing, etc.

Sec. 11-706 – Further limitations on driving to the left of center of roadway

... and also prohibiting people from parking in tunnels.

Article X – Stopping, Standing and Parking

Section 11-1003 – Stopping, standing, or parking prohibited in specified places

(a) Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or official traffic-control device, no person shall:

1. Stop, stand, or park a vehicle:

G. Upon any bridge or other elevated structure upon a highway or within a highway tunnel;

Article XIII – Stopping, Standing, and Parking

Sec. 11-1303 – Stopping, standing or parking prohibited in specified places

a) Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or official traffic-control device, no person shall:

1. Stop, stand or park a vehicle:

g. Upon any bridge or other elevated structure upon a highway or within a highway tunnel;

I drove on a narrow,hilly and curvy road in Christian County probably a couple weeks ago.

Max Rockatansky

Video or it didn't happen.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on May 17, 2022, 02:09:01 PM

Quote from: Crash_It on May 17, 2022, 10:08:58 PM
I drove on a narrow,hilly and curvy road in Christian County probably a couple weeks ago.

(Seriously, dude, learn how to trim your quoted material.  Don't quote an encyclopedic post like that, respond to a single point within it, and then expect everyone to figure it out.)

Anyway...

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 17, 2022, 10:16:53 PM
Video or it didn't happen.

I'll settle for knowing what road he's talking about, because I can't find a single road in Christian County that even comes close to meeting all three criteria I laid out.
Male pronouns, please.

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 16, 2022, 10:04:47 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 16, 2022, 10:01:54 PM

Our family cabin up by Traverse City is just a couple miles from the Sleeping Bear Dunes.  Those are some of the few actual substantial hilly features I can think of as being noteworthy in the entire Midwest.  It certainly doesn't exempt Michigan from it's general flatness.
I was driving on I-75 between Saginaw and Flint today and thinking of the elevation difference between the two cities. Flint has an elevation about 150 feet higher than Saginaw but you wouldn't notice the difference. I was telling my buddy that you get better gas mileage going north because you are dropping in elevation. But I-75 really doesn't have any hills to speak of so you really don't notice the difference in elevation even driving it. A flat terrain with a few bumps in the ground here and there with just a little difference in elevation doesn't consist of hilly to me either.

The western U.P. is hilly in spots especially going through Hancock. The eastern U.P. seems to have about the same flatness as most of the Lower Peninsula.

Flint1979

I'm also interested to know what road in Christian County is like that. Taylorsville has an elevation of 630 feet, the average elevation for Illinois is 600 feet.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Pretty much most of the shore of Lake Superior has hilly terrain, but even that isn't "mountainous."  

It's almost as though an apparently scenic back road would be something worth featuring as a driving video or something?   Especially one that has canyons, mountains, a single lane and blind curves.

Max Rockatansky

Two things I'm curious about:

-  Why do you put TV content rating labels on your videos?
-  Does the four second rule apply if you drop food on the floor?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.