News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Brain Rotting Qualities

Started by Max Rockatansky, January 19, 2022, 02:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 21, 2022, 03:16:19 PM
Harry Potter is an interesting case because it started out being rejected by those who objected to the witchcraft/wizardry aspects of it. Then it gained general mass acceptance. Now it's being rejected by its own fan base because J.K. Rowling's personal values run counter to those most of the fan base holds.

Evanna Lynch (she plays Luna Lovegood in the movies) also got backlash when she made a half-hearted attempt to stick up for J.K. a couple of years ago (she was the only cast member to do so). It didn't go over well, and she ended up deleting her Twitter account because of it. Most of the fan base seems to have forgiven Evanna now, though.

It's pretty common knowledge that Evanna and J.K. have always been close, so I'm not sure why people were shocked when she went to bat for J.K.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

abefroman329

Quote from: LM117 on January 21, 2022, 07:55:09 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 21, 2022, 03:16:19 PM
Harry Potter is an interesting case because it started out being rejected by those who objected to the witchcraft/wizardry aspects of it. Then it gained general mass acceptance. Now it's being rejected by its own fan base because J.K. Rowling's personal values run counter to those most of the fan base holds.

Evanna Lynch (she plays Luna Lovegood in the movies) also got backlash when she made a half-hearted attempt to stick up for J.K. a couple of years ago (she was the only cast member to do so). It didn't go over well, and she ended up deleting her Twitter account because of it. Most of the fan base seems to have forgiven Evanna now, though.

It's pretty common knowledge that Evanna and J.K. have always been close, so I'm not sure why people were shocked when she went to bat for J.K.
More recently, some random extra from the last scene of the last movie stuck up for JK, which was unintentionally hilarious.

snowc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 19, 2022, 02:47:56 PM
When I was a kid in the 1980s my Mom and Grandparents would often tell me certain things would "rot my brain."   Typically this adage was stated in relation to some sort of entertainment medium such as; TV (MTV comes to mind), video games and certain kinds of newer music.

When did people stop telling kids things about their brains rotting?  I don't recall ever being told about brain rot during the 1990s, was this just something people just moved on from?  Were you ever told your brain would rot?  If so, what was the supposed cause of the brain rotting and were you ever afraid it would actually happen akin to real world spongiform encephalopathy?
The simpsons  :colorful:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: snowc on January 22, 2022, 05:13:02 PM
When I was a kid in the 1980s my Mom and Grandparents would often tell me certain things would "rot my brain."   Typically this adage was stated in relation to some sort of entertainment medium such as; TV (MTV comes to mind), video games and certain kinds of newer music.

When did people stop telling kids things about their brains rotting?  I don't recall ever being told about brain rot during the 1990s, was this just something people just moved on from?  Were you ever told your brain would rot?  If so, what was the supposed cause of the brain rotting and were you ever afraid it would actually happen akin to real world spongiform encephalopathy?

Your posts  :colorful:

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: snowc on January 22, 2022, 05:13:02 PM

That emoji sucks
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Oddly, there's a broom emoji but no vacuum emoji.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

FWIW when The Simpsons were on the Tracy Ullman Show they did have "Brain Rotting"  attributes according to my Mom. I don't recall if that ever carried over when The Simpsons was spun off into it's own television program.  I'm more or less convinced "brain rotting"  was something people simply did not talk about during the 1990s. 

Max Rockatansky

Inferences by to some forum users on this page indicate the new source of childhood brain rot is TikTok, discuss:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=31429.msg2857121;topicseen#msg2857121

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 21, 2023, 09:27:24 PM
Inferences by to some forum users on this page indicate the new source of childhood brain rot is TikTok, discuss:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=31429.msg2857121;topicseen#msg2857121

As an aside, I don't think the current fad of handing a phone to a 2-5 year old for long periods of time is going to help their future attention spans. A lot more parents just seem to toss a device at a kid to keep it quiet.

Now, it could just be they need a few minutes of silence to take on a task but there's loads of time I see the kiddo pitch a huge fit when that same phone/tablet is taken away. But there's something not quite right with constantly serving their immediate desires instead of actually bonding with children and engaging them in many of the same activities that adults perform. It's not a great idea to have their desires constantly entertained, instead they gain more patience and problem-solving abilities in the long run.

Hobart

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 21, 2023, 09:27:24 PM

I'm worried about TikTok mainly because it falls under Chinese laws regarding the data of many people who don't understand the entire situation behind that (CCP can make TikTok's parent company hand over all of the information on you at any time, if memory serves).

More importantly, although it draws a lot of people, it's addictive... granted, I'm no better, but most of the people I know who use TikTok use it for hours at a time of short form videos, even my brother, who turned 23 earlier this month. It's like they found out how ADHD works, and exploit it for continued ad revenue.

TikTok, however, brain rots middle schoolers and higher. I find "brain rot" in the traditional sense to be coming from iPad parents, where children demand instant entertainment and never develop the skill of quietly being bored (something we spend like 60% of our lives doing), all because it's easier to throw junior behind a tablet than to spend time with him/her/them. It's almost frustrating... you wanted to have a baby, why not give it the attention it deserves, instead of making a Steve Jobs device do all the work?

Apologies if I sound like a boomer here, this is probably the subject I have the most conservative opinion about. Brain rotting doesn't come from televisions or iPads, it comes from parents attempting to use them as a substitute. They aren't a viable substitute unless you get to cartoonishly bad parenting (think Peter and Lois Griffin in later seasons of Family Guy).

Also unrelated, but funnily enough "brainrot" (one word) is a term I've seen and used with other neurodivergent people expressing my current hyperfixation. For example, "I had Marky (character used as forum avatar right now) brainrot, so I impulse spent $20 for art of him (true story)."
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Scott5114

$20 is dirt cheap for a commission. (Hell, $20 wouldn't even pay for me to open up Krita...)

Big John

I won't use TikTok because it is Chinese spyware.  I am not going to let any governmental agency see any info on me, no matter how mandane the info is.

GaryV

Quote from: Big John on July 22, 2023, 07:39:57 AM
I am not going to let any governmental agency see any info on me
So you don't have a driver's license or SSN? Don't own property? Don't file income taxes? Don't record your family's births, marriages or deaths?

bandit957

My grandmother once told me that if you made funny faces at people, your face would freeze that way.

But teachers and principals were really big on talking about stuff like music and Dungeons & Dragons being brain-rotting.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

Also, I remember people in the mid-'80s criticizing MTV while they tolerated radio stations that played much of the same music. They thought music only became brain-rotting if you added video to it.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Big John

Quote from: bandit957 on July 22, 2023, 09:33:12 AM
Also, I remember people in the mid-'80s criticizing MTV while they tolerated radio stations that played much of the same music. They thought music only became brain-rotting if you added video to it.
I was in a poor family where cable TV was considered a luxury which they could not afford.  So no MTV, but from what I heard about it I would not have watched it anyway.  Then there was/is a local radio station with a cult-like following that apparently had a very similar play list.  I tried listening to that station and didn't care for what they were playing and I grew to hate it.

Rothman

I still think people exaggerate the importance of the information that the Chinese can cull from TikTok at this point.  I find it rare that people post real personal information on there, if not nonexistent.  The closest one gets is someone telling a personal experience, but with location details and the like being kept vague.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

iPad parents exist because society has deteriorated to the point where demands on the parents, such as working more hours, double-incoming, and then all the ridiculous additional things parents must do to be considered good parents nowadays have just sucked all their energy. 

There's really nothing to be done except watch us decline into Soylent Green at this point...unless the younger generations turn us around...which they never do.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

NWI_Irish96

I was at least 90th percentile in amount of MTV watched from ages 8-13 and am also well above that percentile in IQ so there's that.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on July 22, 2023, 01:38:08 PM

I was at least 90th percentile in amount of MTV watched from ages 8-13 and am also well above that percentile in IQ so there's that.

Heh.  You had your IQ tested?  When I was a kid in the 1980s, IQ tests had become passe.

Scott5114

Quote from: bandit957 on July 22, 2023, 09:25:08 AM
But teachers and principals were really big on talking about stuff like music and Dungeons & Dragons being brain-rotting.

I think I've learned more marketable skills from needing to do something to prepare a D&D session than I did from school.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 22, 2023, 06:46:07 PM

I think I've learned more marketable skills from needing to do something to prepare a D&D session than I did from school.

Dungeons & Dragons was only something I heard of in the 1980s.  For the life of me I don't reca anyone ever actually playing it or openly admitting they did.  It didn't occur to that the original Final Fantasy on NES (which I got when it was new) was a rip off of D&D until the 2000s.

kkt

I'm more worried about what Google knows about me than the Chinese, to be honest.

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 22, 2023, 06:53:20 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 22, 2023, 06:46:07 PM

Dungeons & Dragons was only something I heard of in the 1980s.  For the life of me I don't reca anyone ever actually playing it or openly admitting they did.  It didn't occur to that the original Final Fantasy on NES (which I got when it was new) was a rip off of D&D until the 2000s.

The D&D that was available in the 1980s was a total mess compared to what exists now. The rules were so voluminous and fiddly that even I have trouble comprehending them. It was definitely something only a true supernerd would appreciate. But of course, nobody had ever really created a dice-based roleplaying game before 1st edition D&D, so nobody knew what they were doing. These days the rules are a lot more streamlined, to the point that it's viable as an activity regular folks might enjoy.

As an example: in 5th edition (released 2014), every potential target has a statistic called "armor class" (AC). If the knight you're wanting to attack has an AC of 15, you have to roll 15 or better for the attack to do any damage.

In 1st edition (current in the 1980s) you had to deal with whatever the hell this thing was supposed to mean.

No matter how many times I read the explanation of how the THAC0 table worked, it still runs out of my head like it's a sieve. (Also, if you can build the mental capacity to understand the stupid thing, I'd say that's the opposite of brain rot!)

Rothman

My friends and I played D&D throughout the 80s.  Other role playing games caught on in the early 1990s.  But yeah, it seems D&D disappeared for a while and then had a recent rennaissance over the last decade or so.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.