News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highway 1

Started by zachary_amaryllis, March 12, 2022, 02:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 20, 2022, 08:43:50 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 27, 2022, 02:30:35 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 25, 2022, 03:18:04 PM
Tennessee's SR 1 is very much in the spirit of being the 'most important' route in the state.  Entirely subsumed by US routes, it nevertheless is the official designation for the pre-interstate route from Memphis to Nashville to Knoxville to Bristol.  It hits almost all of the state's major population centers and is by far the longest route in the state.

Not quite. There is a section of TN 1 that is not concurrent with a US route. It's near Sparta, where US 70S was routed onto TN 111 to meet up with US 70 instead of running on the old route into downtown.

TN 1 has 3 segments without a US route:

In addition to Sparta, its west end in Memphis is without a US route.  This segment is somewhat posted.

Also, its routing on State St in Bristol carries no US routing anymore.  Not posted as best I can tell.

That would be interesting, since the route spans the state line. Is it like a lot of state line routes where one state maintains the whole road, or does TDOT own and maintain only the eastbound lane, and the City of Bristol, Va., the westbound lane?

No route numbers are posted on State Street, and I have never seen anything posted on it in my travels there.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bassoon1986

Quote from: hbelkins on April 20, 2022, 01:17:32 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on April 20, 2022, 08:43:50 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 27, 2022, 02:30:35 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 25, 2022, 03:18:04 PM
Tennessee's SR 1 is very much in the spirit of being the 'most important' route in the state.  Entirely subsumed by US routes, it nevertheless is the official designation for the pre-interstate route from Memphis to Nashville to Knoxville to Bristol.  It hits almost all of the state's major population centers and is by far the longest route in the state.

Not quite. There is a section of TN 1 that is not concurrent with a US route. It's near Sparta, where US 70S was routed onto TN 111 to meet up with US 70 instead of running on the old route into downtown.

TN 1 has 3 segments without a US route:

In addition to Sparta, its west end in Memphis is without a US route.  This segment is somewhat posted.

Also, its routing on State St in Bristol carries no US routing anymore.  Not posted as best I can tell.

That would be interesting, since the route spans the state line. Is it like a lot of state line routes where one state maintains the whole road, or does TDOT own and maintain only the eastbound lane, and the City of Bristol, Va., the westbound lane?

No route numbers are posted on State Street, and I have never seen anything posted on it in my travels there.
Teresco Mapping only shows the Memphis and Sparta sections. Although it doesn't list un marked routes.

iPhone

hbelkins

I looked at the Tennessee DOT online map of Bristol (https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/maps/city-maps/city-maps-a-d/map-city-Bristol.pdf). It shows TN 1 continuing as a primary route along State Street to US 11E/US 19 (Commonwealth Avenue/Volunteer Parkway), then continuing south to terminate at Anderson Street (TN 34). This is apparently done to give the two-block section of Volunteer Parkway (US 11E/US 19) a hidden state route designation.

TN 34 comes in from the north along the US routes as their hidden state designation, turns right onto Anderson, then left on Edgemont Avenue, then right on State Street to join US 421 until they turn onto Pennsylvania Avenue.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ski-man

WYO does not have a Hwy 1.......

Georgia

Quote from: US 89 on March 15, 2022, 01:45:19 PM
Quote from: Tom958 on March 15, 2022, 06:14:47 AM
Georgia's is just a largely-signed concurrency with US 27 (yawn), which never was an especially important link in the state's highway network. Savannah to Chattanooga via Macon and Atlanta would've made more sense. 

Eh, it does make some sense - most of GA's low numbers are on fairly major through routes and tend to follow a rough grid system where N/S routes are odd numbers increasing to the east and E/W routes are evens increasing to the south. US 27 is the westernmost major N/S corridor in the state.

it certainly does make sense.  same as Georgia 2 makes sense for the US-76 concurrency through the north part of GA.

Flint1979

I drove on part of M-1 yesterday. I-75 was backed up so I decided to take Woodward.

SD Mapman

Quote from: ski-man on April 21, 2022, 03:07:37 PM
Nor any single-digit highways period! The lowest numbered state route in WY is WY 10, which under the county-based numbering system is just an auxiliary state highway in Albany County between WY 230 and the CO border (pretty drive in CO, the WY portion is kinda blah for a mountain state). Probably the most important state highway in WY is probably WY 789, which is the only state route to span the width of the state.

SD doesn't have any single-digit routes either. If an SD 1 existed, it would be located on the eastern edge of the state in the SD grid system. With the grid-like system of highways here, there really isn't a most important/representative one (maybe SD 34? It passes through Pierre and is border-to-border...).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Techknow

More fanboying about California Route 1:

* CA 1 multiplexes a LOT, once with I-280 and 4 times with US 101
* The portion of the highway in Big Sur was built during the Great Depression with the use of prisoners
* The Big Sur portion is also home to world renown historic bridges, including the Garrapata Creek Bridge, Rocky Creek Bridge, and the Bixby Creek Bridge.
* CA 1 is the only road that goes through the Big Sur region, it and Nacimiento-Fergusson Road are the only roads that can be used to enter or exit the region.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Techknow on April 28, 2022, 02:41:40 AM
More fanboying about California Route 1:

* CA 1 multiplexes a LOT, once with I-280 and 4 times with US 101
* The portion of the highway in Big Sur was built during the Great Depression with the use of prisoners
* The Big Sur portion is also home to world renown historic bridges, including the Garrapata Creek Bridge, Rocky Creek Bridge, and the Bixby Creek Bridge.
* CA 1 is the only road that goes through the Big Sur region, it and Nacimiento-Fergusson Road are the only roads that can be used to enter or exit the region.

Here's another, the planned routing of CA 1 (now CA 211) never had a formally adopted alignment through the Lost Coast by the California Transportation Commission.  All the same every DOH map which shows the proposed Lost Coast segment of CA 1 has it largely aligned over/next to existing Lost Coast region roads.  Contrary to popular perception the planned of CA 1 is largely inland in the Lost Coast region and would have been far from impossible to build.

http://www.davidrumsey.com/ll/thumbnailView.html?startUrl=%2F%2Fwww.davidrumsey.com%2Fluna%2Fservlet%2Fas%2Fsearch%3Fos%3D0%26lc%3DRUMSEY~8~1%26q%3DCALTRANs%201964%26sort%3DPub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No%26bs%3D10#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=0&r=0&xywh=671%2C2601%2C806%2C1320

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: SD Mapman on April 27, 2022, 10:44:36 AM
Quote from: ski-man on April 21, 2022, 03:07:37 PM
Nor any single-digit highways period! The lowest numbered state route in WY is WY 10, which under the county-based numbering system is just an auxiliary state highway in Albany County between WY 230 and the CO border (pretty drive in CO,

We used to go to a big annual party on the colorado extension of that road (officially, larimer co road 103), at the western end of the laramie-poudre water diversion. never been into wyoming on it, though. the southern end of this road goes into some truly pretty stuff, chambers lake, and right through the heart of the cameron peak fire burn area.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.