News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I49 in LA

Started by rte66man, July 14, 2010, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 22, 2010, 05:20:16 PM
" [from a LADOTD email] ...Currently, we only have approval for the routing of I-49 that overlaps I-20 and I-220. The section that runs through Shreveport probably will not be open to traffic for quite some time. Once the section is built between I-20 and 220, the exit numbers on the north section will be changed."
Received an email from LADOTD today which corrects above information.  The mileage markers for I-49 North running from I-220 to the Arkansas state line are going to be based on the assumption that the ICC will one day be built.  Also, contrary to Wikipedia, I was advised that the interim routing for I-49 will overlap I-20 (not LA 3132) and I-220.  Nonetheless, I expect much of the through traffic will use LA 3132.

Here is relevant part of email (I included the public information officer's name & contact info in case a member of this forum is a Wikipedia author and would like to follow up with her):

The I-49 exits will be numbered based on the assumption that the I-49 intercity connection is made. Until that time, I-49 will overlap I-20 and I-220, not LA 3132.   Please let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,
Lauren Lee
Public Information Officer  225.379.1294
Department of Transportation and Development"
Lauren.Lee@LA.GOV

ShawnP

Hopefully the ICC is built someday. It would really help Shreveport traffic and thru traffic alot. As I said before it appears the town and neighborhoods wouldn't be against it. Maybe 10-15 years down the road.

lamsalfl

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 27, 2010, 08:44:08 AM
This is typical of the signing plans for I-49 North:

Note I-49 trailblazer assembly.

The format is also typical of LaDOTD signing plans in general.  I am sorry to say that they generally do not produce good signing plans.  LaDOTD does not do sign design sheets, period, and it is rare for sign layout sheets to be pattern-accurate, although LaDOTD did this a few years ago for (among other projects) a sign rehabilitation contract on the existing length of I-49.

In terms of the scheduling of future I-49 contracts, plans are currently available for 455-09-0006 and 455-09-0011, but not 455-09-0005.  My guess is that the three contracts will be let individually, without ties or "A + B" bidding arrangements, because the individual contracts are all fairly large and, since the relevant lengths of I-49 are being built substantially on new location, there is limited scope for scale economies through consolidation of traffic management.

Do you know any other exit numbers from Shreveport to Arkansas?

lamsalfl

Also, I think it's really crappy that we can't even drive on the completed segments for another 2.5 years?!  That's horrible.  All this anticipation.  If you can open 6 miles (or whatever) then that's a decent length of road... Just don't sign it as I-49, but at least let traffic use it.  Just mark it as a US 71 detour with those orange temporary construction signs.  But 2013?  really?

Grzrd

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 27, 2010, 08:44:08 AM
In terms of the scheduling of future I-49 contracts, plans are currently available for 455-09-0006 and 455-09-0011, but not 455-09-0005.  My guess is that the three contracts will be let individually, without ties or "A + B" bidding arrangements, because the individual contracts are all fairly large and, since the relevant lengths of I-49 are being built substantially on new location, there is limited scope for scale economies through consolidation of traffic management.
Although Segments E, F, and G were let individually, it appears that the same construction contractor has submitted the winning bid for all three.  James Construction Group, LLC seems to have pulled off the I-49 North Segments E, F and G trifecta and submitted the apparent low bid of $25,651,578.20 for Segment F today: http://www.dotd.la.gov/lettings/bidsresl/brhq20101215.asp

455-09-0005 (DBE Goal Project) I-49 NORTH (LA 530 TO LA 170), Segment F
GRADING; DRAINAGE STRUCTURES; CLASS II BASE COURSE; SLAB SPAN AND PRESTRESSED GIRDER BRIDGES; ALTERNATE AA1, SUPERPAVE ASPHALTIC CONCRETE PAVEMENT; ALTERNATE AA2, PORTLAND CEMENT CONCRETE PAVEMENT; AND RELATED WORK.
Parish(es): Caddo
Route(s): I-49
Federal: 0021(017)
Estimated Construction Cost: $28,821,476.25
Apparent Low Bidder: James Construction Group Llc
11200 INDUSTRIPLEX BLVD.STE 150
BATON ROUGE, LA 70809
Phone: (225)295-4830  $25,651,578.20

Here's a link to a Business Week article about the contractor winning the Segments E & G work, as well as a considerable I-12 project near Slidell: http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9JRCU880.htm

9 I-49 North initial Segment lettings done and 2 to go.

Grzrd

A local commission is studying tolls as an option to pay the $700 million price for the I-49 Connector.  The study is in extremely early stages.  Article contains an optimistic projection of construction beginning in 2013: http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/acadiana/112047789.html

Tolls eyed for I-49 completion
LAFAYETTE – A commission is exploring the possibility of collecting tolls to fund the completion of Interstate 49 through Lafayette.
The Lafayette Metropolitan Expressway Commission will study whether traffic volumes would generate enough toll revenue to upgrade U.S. 90 to interstate standards from Interstate 10 south through Iberia Parish, commission member Elaine Abell said this week.
There is no estimate yet for the total project, but the cost of the elevated stretch through the city of Lafayette has been estimated at $700 million ...
Abell said tolls might offer an option to put the interstate on the fast track, assuming the fees can generate sufficient revenue.
If the toll option is pursued and there are no major obstacles, construction could begin as early as 2013, said Kam Movassaghi, president of the Lafayette engineering firm Fenstermaker, which is working on the project ...
The commission plans to use a $2.5 million state appropriation to pay for the toll-feasibility study, Abell said.
The study is expected to be completed within three months, she said, and planning could quickly pick up pace if the project seems viable.
The plan at this time remains in the early stages, and many of the details have yet to be addressed, such as the amount of any future tolls or where and how the tolls would be collected.
There is also the question of whether Lafayette-area residents and political leaders will be receptive to the idea ...
The Expressway Commission's focus on I-49 is a shift from its original mission to make plans for a traffic "loop"  around Lafayette, but the state legislation that created the commission in 2003 does not limit the group's work to the loop project.
The loop idea is still a possibility, but I-49 is a more immediate and realistic goal, Guidry said.
Unlike the loop, the planning and environmental studies for I-49 are complete.
"It's ready to roll,"  Abell said. "It's just the funding."

Anthony_JK

Sorry, but this just isn't going to fly.

For starters, where in the hell are you going to put in the toll booths?? Kind of hard to do within the ROW limits.

Secondly...they do know that the Evangeline Thruway is still going to be open, right?? Which means, that anyone wanting to cheat the tolls will simply remain on the surface portion.

Third...if they decide to go to electronic tolling to avoid the toll booths, then what about those who don't have the ability to buy transponders? (Cajun Pass, anyone??)) I guess they will have to use the Thruway, then??

And finally...how does Shreveport get the Inner City Connector built as a freeway (as well as the rest of I-49 North), yet South Louisiana has to pony up tolls for I-49 South?? Especially when most of US 90 is already either completed to Interstate standards or well on the way??

Good ole Bobby Jindal seems to be getting his transportation planning lessons from Goodhair Perry next door...the WRONG lessons.

Here's a better idea, Gov:  Pony up your new majority buds in next year's Congress for some real transportation funds and build the I-49 Connector and I-49 South between Lafayette and Morgan City as a FREEWAY as it was meant to be.  Or, if you really want to toll US 90, do it between Lafayette and New Iberia, but upgrade it as a Texas-style urban freeway with access roads and improvements to the interchanges in between.

Otherwise, just dump this project and simply build an all-toll Lafayette Metro X-way loop with the Teche Ridge East Bypass included on the east side.

Amthony

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: Anthony_JK on December 17, 2010, 03:11:08 PM

For starters, where in the hell are you going to put in the toll booths?? Kind of hard to do within the ROW limits.

GeauxPass, think LA-1

Secondly...they do know that the Evangeline Thruway is still going to be open, right?? Which means, that anyone wanting to cheat the tolls will simply remain on the surface portion.

Tolls in Texas and in New Orleans have alternates. At the end of the day most people just chalk it up and take the most convenient route.

Third...if they decide to go to electronic tolling to avoid the toll booths, then what about those who don't have the ability to buy transponders? (Cajun Pass, anyone??)) I guess they will have to use the Thruway, then??

A GeauxPass is $12. On another note the GeauxPass system is currently unable to process violators and LaDOTD recently discovered that the software has not been capturing and storing information from non-payers for at least 5 or 6 years. In the likely chance that they correct this and with the current trend of going all electronic in Louisiana, I'd hope that they'd implement tolls by mail for those who don't have a geauxpass.

And finally...how does Shreveport get the Inner City Connector built as a freeway (as well as the rest of I-49 North), yet South Louisiana has to pony up tolls for I-49 South?? Especially when most of US 90 is already either completed to Interstate standards or well on the way??

The community there actually embraces the ICC and the I-49 North project is viewed as more urgent than I-49 South for some reason.
[/quote]

Anthony_JK

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on December 26, 2010, 11:16:22 AM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on December 17, 2010, 03:11:08 PM

GeauxPass, think LA-1

Within a 300' ROW?? In an urban freeway setting?? Really??

That may work for US 90 south of Lafayette Regional Airport...but within Lafayette proper??

Tolls in Texas and in New Orleans have alternates. At the end of the day most people just chalk it up and take the most convenient route.

Problem is, there IS no alternative to the Evangeline Thruway/US 90 corridor for north/south traffic traveling through Lafayette.  And no, University Avenue/Pinhook Road doesn't count.

A GeauxPass is $12. On another note the GeauxPass system is currently unable to process violators and LaDOTD recently discovered that the software has not been capturing and storing information from non-payers for at least 5 or 6 years. In the likely chance that they correct this and with the current trend of going all electronic in Louisiana, I'd hope that they'd implement tolls by mail for those who don't have a geauxpass.

Do you really think that people in Lafayette used to riding on "free" highways are going to accept being billed by mail?? Especially, on a route that is essentially complete as a free route??

The community there actually embraces the ICC and the I-49 North project is viewed as more urgent than I-49 South for some reason.
[/quote]

Of course, I-49 North is considered more urgent, because it is almost completed. That still doesn't lessen the main importance of I-49 South, or the need to at least complete the segment between Lafayette and Morgan City. Plus, the I-49 Connector is already approved and in the final design stage, while the ICIC in Shreveport hasn't even started an EIS.

It still strikes me as an insult to South Louisiana why they couldn't push Congress for more funding at least to build I-49 through Lafayette and down to Morgan City without tolls.

Anthony

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: Anthony_JK on December 26, 2010, 01:19:31 PM
Within a 300' ROW?? In an urban freeway setting?? Really??

All you need are overhead gantries.

Problem is, there IS no alternative to the Evangeline Thruway/US 90 corridor for north/south traffic traveling through Lafayette.  And no, University Avenue/Pinhook Road doesn't count.

I was under the impression that Evangeline Thruway would serve as a feeder along most of the new highway except for a section that drifts away and then comes back. If so that would serve as the Texas equivelalent to an alternate and would be and a step-up compared to those we have in N.O. which take you a bit out of the way. If not I honestly wouldn't know.

Do you really think that people in Lafayette used to riding on "free" highways are going to accept being billed by mail?? Especially, on a route that is essentially complete as a free route??

I don't know what Lafayette residents will except, but at the rate that things are going it seems like they'll either have to pay for the highway or not have a highway at all.

Of course, I-49 North is considered more urgent, because it is almost completed. That still doesn't lessen the main importance of I-49 South, or the need to at least complete the segment between Lafayette and Morgan City. Plus, the I-49 Connector is already approved and in the final design stage, while the ICIC in Shreveport hasn't even started an EIS.

It still strikes me as an insult to South Louisiana why they couldn't push Congress for more funding at least to build I-49 through Lafayette and down to Morgan City without tolls.

I would like to see I-49 South here (maybe with a different number) just as much as you would. I think one problem is that many people see the western half of U.S. 90 fine as it is with the exception of the connector and they want to elevate a large portion of the eastern half and throw in two large interchanges. At that rate, I-49 South is an extremely expensive recontstruction of a route that is already four-laned and mostly access limited.

ShawnP

I-49 South needs to go now. As sad as it sounds New Orleans actually got lucky with Katrina as a weaking Hurrricane in 2005. Next time New Orleans might not be so lucky. New Orleans and Acadia need I-49 urgently to get more evacuation thru put.

Grzrd

Segment J would be 4.25 miles in length and leave the 1 mile Segment K as the last remaining piece of the I-220 to Arkansas state line stretch of I-49 to be let: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20110119/NEWS01/110119015/Jindal-announces-legislation-for-I-49-segment

Gov. Bobby Jindal announced Wednesday plans to construct a 4.25 mile stretch of Interstate 49 connecting Martin Luther King Boulevard and Louisiana Highway 1.
In order for Jindal to secure the $60 million needed for the J Segment of I-49, Rep. Jane Smith will author legislation expanding the purposes for using the unclaimed property leverage fund, allowing the state to bond out the fund to for the project ...

Here's a link to a more comprehensive article: http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=13871194

ShawnP

In time of little new Interstate building. We must congratulate Louisiana for getting it done by hook and crook on Interstate 49 north. I do think now that it's almost done to I-220 that Louisana should go hard after I-49 south. That will make I-49 north look like a dream with the money, politics, enviromental studies and turf fighting involved with every mile on I-49 south.

Grzrd

An editorial from this morning's Shreveport Times sets forth the game plan to fund Segment K, the final mile of the I-49 North project.  Essentially, if Segment J plan announced yesterday works out, then Louisiana will have spent approximately double its 20% split in 20/80 state/federal formula.  With Segment K literally being the "final mile" of the I-49 North project (plus all of the Arkansas section from LA state line to I-30 either complete or under construction), Louisiana anticipates that it should have high priority to be reimbursed by the Feds for the money spent over its 20% share, which reimbursement it would then use to fund Segment K:

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20110120/OPINION03/101200331/Editorial-Seizing-the-day-to-help-complete-I-49

... In mid-2007, Gov. Kathleen Blanco signed into law a measure by Haughton Republican Billy Montgomery to set aside $15 million annually from the state's unclaimed property fund for I-49 construction, with the money divided equally for the segment between Interstate 220 in Shreveport and Arkansas and the segment between Lafayette and New Orleans.  The money was to be used as a magnet to attract more federal dollars for I-49, with the state putting up 20 percent to the U.S. government's 80 percent.
Alas, those federal dollars have not been coming to Louisiana as fast as the state would like. Of the $460 million spent on the northward extension as of last fall, Louisiana has spent about $185 million – slightly more than twice its 20 percent match.  And $7.5 million a year doesn't go a long way when financing highway construction. So, instead, Jindal basically wants to use those funds as collateral for a $60 million loan to finance completion of Segment J, a 4¼-mile stretch that runs from Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard to Louisiana Highway 1.
"Instead of spending $7.5 million directly (on I-49), we would use that revenue stream to pay off the bonds," explained state Sen. Lydia Jackson, D-Shreveport, who was out of state when Jindal made the announcement.
"We've said we aren't going to wait for them (the federal government) to put up their dollars, we're simply going to get this project done," the governor said during his news conference here Wednesday.
The good news is that Louisiana is not forfeiting its ability to attract federal dollars for the years-old project. In fact, the objective is for the federal government to someday reimburse the state for what it's spent over its 20 percent share. That funding, once received, in turn would be used for the mile-long Segment K.
"Surely the feds can finish one mile for us. This has been funded for the state," state Rep. Jane Smith, R-Bossier City, said ...

froggie

To be fair, states putting up more than 20% will quite possibly become the norm instead of the exception.  The article doesn't mention it, but the Federal spigot is in the process of running dry.  And all indications are that Congress won't step in to change that.  House Republicans have made it perfectly clear that they intend Federal transportation spending to match gas tax revenue, with no more general treasury transfers.

So if Louisiana expects reimbursement from the Feds for I-49, they'll either be A) waiting a long time, or B) seeing it come from their normal Federal highway money allotment...such as that is.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: froggie on January 20, 2011, 12:29:49 PM
To be fair, states putting up more than 20% will quite possibly become the norm instead of the exception.  The article doesn't mention it, but the Federal spigot is in the process of running dry.  And all indications are that Congress won't step in to change that.  House Republicans have made it perfectly clear that they intend Federal transportation spending to match gas tax revenue, with no more general treasury transfers.

So if Louisiana expects reimbursement from the Feds for I-49, they'll either be A) waiting a long time, or B) seeing it come from their normal Federal highway money allotment...such as that is.

Except that 7 of the 9 federal representives for Louisiana are Republican, as well as their governor.  
Yeah they'll all be favor of keeping federal money out of Louisiana.  :pan:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

US71

Quote from: Adam Smith on January 21, 2011, 12:21:58 AM
Quote from: froggie on January 20, 2011, 12:29:49 PM
To be fair, states putting up more than 20% will quite possibly become the norm instead of the exception.  The article doesn't mention it, but the Federal spigot is in the process of running dry.  And all indications are that Congress won't step in to change that.  House Republicans have made it perfectly clear that they intend Federal transportation spending to match gas tax revenue, with no more general treasury transfers.

Except that 7 of the 9 federal representives for Louisiana are Republican, as well as their governor. 
Yeah they'll all be favor of keeping federal money out of Louisiana.  :pan:

So much for "No Earmarks" (as if anyone believed them)  :evilgrin:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

froggie

QuoteYeah they'll all be favor of keeping federal money out of Louisiana.

If the Republicans in your home state are any indication...

That 7 out of 9 of the Louisiana reps are Republicans really doesn't matter.  The bottom line is that Federal highway funding is stagnating, whether you (or they) like it or not.  And the Republicans in Congress have put themselves in a situation where they cannot considerably increase it without losing major "political points", whether it be from raising taxes (taboo to the "mainstream" Republican) or diverting from elsewhere (which is unlikely given that they're proposing to do some drastic budget cutting already).

Earmarks would be even worse...because that's money that counts AGAINST what the state normally gets in Federal highway funding.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: froggie on January 21, 2011, 02:47:38 PM
QuoteYeah they'll all be favor of keeping federal money out of Louisiana.

If the Republicans in your home state are any indication...

That 7 out of 9 of the Louisiana reps are Republicans really doesn't matter.  The bottom line is that Federal highway funding is stagnating, whether you (or they) like it or not.  And the Republicans in Congress have put themselves in a situation where they cannot considerably increase it without losing major "political points", whether it be from raising taxes (taboo to the "mainstream" Republican) or diverting from elsewhere (which is unlikely given that they're proposing to do some drastic budget cutting already).

Earmarks would be even worse...because that's money that counts AGAINST what the state normally gets in Federal highway funding.

But at the end of the day, all politics is local. Albeit in Louisiana or Ohio.
The Louisiana delegation, and the Louisiana population, has to decide what is more important. Find funds to build I-49 or sacrifice funding the highway to stop federal spending.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Grzrd on January 19, 2011, 09:49:08 PM
Segment J would be 4.25 miles in length and leave the 1 mile Segment K as the last remaining piece of the I-220 to Arkansas state line stretch of I-49 to be let: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20110119/NEWS01/110119015/Jindal-announces-legislation-for-I-49-segment

"Gov. Bobby Jindal announced Wednesday plans to construct a 4.25 mile stretch of Interstate 49 connecting Martin Luther King Boulevard and Louisiana Highway 1.

In order for Jindal to secure the $60 million needed for the J Segment of I-49, Rep. Jane Smith will author legislation expanding the purposes for using the unclaimed property leverage fund, allowing the state to bond out the fund to for the project ..."

Here's a link to a more comprehensive article: http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=13871194

Interesting irony that the article is from a Lafayette TV station. I guess that Jindal isn't going to do the same for I-49 South anytime soon??

It's looking more and more like tolls will be the preferred solution there...even in the Lafayette urban segments.

Anthony

Grzrd

LADOTD recently updated their I-49 North page, including revised completion date estimates for the various Segments:

http://www.dotd.la.gov/administration/public_info/projects/i49north/

Construction Completion Schedules
Arkansas state line to La. 168, Segment A, paving and bridges — Spring 2011
La 168 to Mira-Myrtis Road, Segment B, paving and bridges — Summer 2011
Mira-Myrtis Road to La 2, Segment C, clearing and grubbing, drainage, embankment and paving — Spring 2011
La 2 to U.S. 71, Segment D, clearing and grubbing, drainage, embankment and paving — Spring 2012
La. 170 to U.S. 71, Segment E, clearing and grubbing, drainage, embankment and paving — Spring 2013
La. 530 to La. 170, Segment F, clearing and grubbing, drainage, embankment and paving — Spring 2013
La 530 to La 169, Segment G, clearing and grubbing, drainage, embankment and paving — Spring 2013
La. 173 to La. 169, Segment H, clearing and grubbing, drainage, embankment and paving — Fall 2011
La. 1 to La. 173, Segment I, clearing and grubbing, drainage, embankment and paving — Spring 2013
I-220 to La. 1, Segments J-K (unfunded), clearing and grubbing, drainage, embankment and paving — TBD pending funding

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on February 16, 2011, 09:18:49 PM
LADOTD recently updated their I-49 North page, including revised completion date estimates for the various Segments:

"Construction Completion Schedules

I'm a bit surprised Segment A will be done before Segment B. From what I saw last time I was there, Segment B was almost done.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

FLRoads

La DOTD is now reporting that they have awarded the contract to construct segment of I-49 North from La. 530 to La. 170 (Segment F):

DOTD awards contract to construct segment of I-49 North from La. 530 to La. 170
Friday, February 18, 2011

BATON ROUGE, La. — The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) announced today that a $25.7 million contract has been awarded to James Construction Group LLC of Baton Rouge to construct a 3.4-mile segment of I-49 North from La. 530 (Caddo Street) to La. 170 (Gilliam-Vivian Road).

This project is "Segment F" of the I-49 North project, which will construct a four-lane interstate with a 4-foot inside shoulder and a 10-foot outside shoulder from I-220 in Shreveport to the Arkansas state line. "Segment F" is the final segment of the project that is fully funded at this time.

"Awarding this contract is another example of DOTD's dedication to finishing the I-49 North corridor," said DOTD Secretary Sherri H. LeBas. "We will continue to work with local and state officials on finding innovative ways to fund the remaining two sections of this important roadway."

Last month, Governor Jindal announced that he is pursuing legislation in the upcoming session to bond out $7.5 million in order to invest the estimated $60 million needed to construct one of the two remaining segments for I-49 North. This funding will be put towards the construction of the 4.25-mile "J Segment" — from Martin Luther King Boulevard to La. 1. This will leave only one mile of the corridor left to complete.

To date, DOTD has bid a total of nine contracts for construction of I-49 North projects — valued at a total of $460 million. A total of 31 of 36.25 miles of I-49 North are now fully funded and under construction or are in the process of beginning construction.

The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) is committed to delivering transportation and public works systems that enhance the quality of life. In addition to more than 16,600 miles of roadway, including over 890 miles of interstate, DOTD supports the development of the state's aviation, marine and rail infrastructures. Through this work, we are able to facilitate economic development, create job opportunities, improve vital evacuation routes, and make critical freight corridors safer and more efficient.

Also see the article here: http://www.dotd.la.gov/pressreleases/release.aspx?key=1611

Grzrd

The video on this news report has Sherri LeBas talking about the tours; no specifics are mentioned, but it looks like they are trying to drum up some excitement and investment from the business community:

http://www.ktbs.com/news/26906969/detail.html

.... The Louisiana Transportation Department is offering a tour of the I-49 north project and an update on the progress of building the corridor. The last two segments just north of Shreveport remain unfunded. They'll cost an estimated $160 million. Another $460 million in state and federal funds are already being used to finish I-49 from the city to the Arkansas line.

I could not find any info about the tours from either LADOTD's recent press releases or their I-49 North page.

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on February 16, 2011, 09:38:54 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on February 16, 2011, 09:18:49 PM
"Construction Completion Schedules
I'm a bit surprised Segment A will be done before Segment B. From what I saw last time I was there, Segment B was almost done.
Your observation seems to be confirmed by the following report that Segments A & B have been completed:

http://www.wreg.com/news/sns-ap-la--interstate49,0,3029545.story

State transportation secretary Sherri LeBas told The Times that the two segments close to Arkansas are completed. She says construction of two other segments will begin over the next few months.

Maybe Texarkana Take Deux meet participants will be able give us a conclusive report from the field (I have a family conflict & will be unable to attend).

EDIT

Here's a more comprehesive article from the Shreveport Times:

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20110222/NEWS01/102220325/I-49-taking-shape-from-different-pieces

... Segment A and Segment B, the closest to Arkansas, are already complete and construction of two other segments will begin in the next few months, Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development Secretary Sherri LeBas said .... A dirt-and-mud access road from there goes to Segment C, essentially complete except for signs and striping on the road. But it is still a closed road. Area Engineer Greg Wall said the police have been called several times for people cruising the stretch. ... Segment C was completed at the end of last year and required 1 million yards of excavation and one million yards of embankment, Wall said...

The article also has a video of Sherri LeBas in which she reiterates that LADOTD expects people to be driving on I-49 North in 2013.

Who on earth would want to cruise on a completed stretch?  :happy:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.