News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

South Carolina

Started by wriddle082, January 30, 2011, 07:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

^ Not sure interstates get "special funding"  anymore, it's all pooled in the NHS system.

Rothman

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 02, 2022, 12:03:16 PM
^ Not sure interstates get "special funding"  anymore, it's all pooled in the NHS system.
The only advantage is that they can be funded at 90/10.  But, using NHP funds eats into other uses for the funding, obviously.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Why do some older maps of SC say that a pass is required to use SC 125 traveling through the Atomic Energy Facility as the route does transit the reservation there?

GSV shows no restrictions at the property line and uninterrupted travel and transit is possible.

To be more specific, I'm referring to the Savannah River Site SE of Augusta.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on March 14, 2022, 12:05:01 PM
Why do some older maps of SC say that a pass is required to use SC 125 traveling through the Atomic Energy Facility as the route does transit the reservation there?

GSV shows no restrictions at the property line and uninterrupted travel and transit is possible.

From my SC 125 page:

Driving through the Savannah River Site was a unique experience in the 1980's (I haven't driven it since then, so don't know what it is like today). You had to get a pass at the gate and turn it in on the other side. There was no stopping anywhere within the facility, which was patrolled by government security forces. Often vehicles were searched before entry, and to top it off, if you reached the other side too quickly (speed limit was 55), they'd give you a speeding ticket! Also, some of the creeks had water with elevated temperatures, which was sometimes noticeable when driving by.
Today there are no gates but you are still supposed to drive straight through without stopping.

wriddle082

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 14, 2022, 12:39:51 PM

From my SC 125 page:

Driving through the Savannah River Site was a unique experience in the 1980's (I haven't driven it since then, so don't know what it is like today). You had to get a pass at the gate and turn it in on the other side. There was no stopping anywhere within the facility, which was patrolled by government security forces. Often vehicles were searched before entry, and to top it off, if you reached the other side too quickly (speed limit was 55), they'd give you a speeding ticket! Also, some of the creeks had water with elevated temperatures, which was sometimes noticeable when driving by.
Today there are no gates but you are still supposed to drive straight through without stopping.

I still haven't driven it, and a few years back I almost had a work excuse to do so, but it didn't pan out.

fillup420

drove it a few years ago. There isn't any checkpoint, but there are signs at either end that say No Stopping or Exiting vehicles. I passed an official looking vehicle on my way through. I definitely got a weird vibe from the place. Its very empty and not much traffic.

Mapmikey

SC State Officials showed a pass was needed from either 1968 or 1969 through 1994 or 1995.

From 1950 until 1952, SC 28 was a route with a non-travelable gap through SRS.  In 1952 SC 28 was rerouted around the north and east of SRS with the north stub becoming SC 125 and the south stub becoming part of SC 641 (changed to SC 125 when through traffic was allowed). 

roadman65

So the pass was there and used at the time to make sure everyone was moving along at speed and above or below it.

An article on wiki shows that a milepost 8 there are defunct ramps to SC 64 visible along the route as at one time SC 64 traveled further west and ended there.  Plus if you took more time to get to the endpoints the guard would detain you for questioning.

So I see now why the pass as it was more like a relay stick to see how fast you can drive thru the facility and to check that everone is doing 55 mph.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

The former SC 64 ending at former SC 28 is still intact - https://goo.gl/maps/4FYBYu61cPTjBwuh6

Historic Aerials suggests the former SC 64 roadway stopped being used at the west end in the 1990s.  There is a barrier not very far up the road.

NJRoadfan

Some creative recycling of county route markers there: https://goo.gl/maps/BT78YdPjcz2fkFE18

Mapmikey

Quote from: NJRoadfan on March 15, 2022, 10:58:03 PM
Some creative recycling of county route markers there: https://goo.gl/maps/BT78YdPjcz2fkFE18

Savannah River Site has been using pentagon shields for its internal road network for at least 40 years.

South Carolina has never used pentagon markers on its secondary systems - always the small rectangles though originally they were black on white instead of white on black like they are today.

74/171FAN

I recently saw this SC 34 shield when turning around in the area Monday Night after clinching SC 327 (and seeing an under construction Bucees).

I have no clue at this time why it is there. (maybe a reroute of the nearby truck route?)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

kernals12

Plutonic Panda

Hopefully they can still get it built.

kernals12

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kernals12 on May 02, 2022, 11:31:03 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 02, 2022, 10:34:55 AM

Probably not
This was a pretty significant project that was recently fought hard to get going. So they're just going to abandon it now? I don't see that. It might get delayed but I suspect it will move forward .

74/171FAN

Quote from: kernals12 on May 01, 2022, 10:18:23 PM
Estimated cost of finishing I-526 has tripled to over $2 billion
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/south-carolina/articles/2022-05-01/sc-says-cost-to-finish-i-526-in-charleston-triples-to-2-3b

This project (and any widening of SC 700/Maybank Hwy) has been in limbo for a long time.  I have been tracking this off and on since I visited John's Island on a mission trip in 2012.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

The Ghostbuster

I thought the Interstate 526 extension to connect it with SC 30 was permanently killed in 2016. I guess I was wrong (the Interstate 526 Wikipedia page has been updated as well). Somehow, I am skeptical it will actually be built.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 02, 2022, 11:59:54 PM
Probably not
This was a pretty significant project that was recently fought hard to get going. So they're just going to abandon it now? I don't see that. It might get delayed but I suspect it will move forward .
I'm always surprised how South Carolina fails to get projects off the ground, even when they get the funding for it (which they end up using it all on more studies).

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: WashuOtaku on May 04, 2022, 02:11:55 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 02, 2022, 11:59:54 PM
Probably not
I'm always surprised how South Carolina fails to get projects off the ground, even when they get the funding for it (which they end up using it all on more studies).
South Carolina isn't territory so I'm not too heavily focused on it but I am aware of a few projects this being one of them. I thought this project was in the bag. Approved and ready to start construction. For some reason I thought preliminary work had already begun. Shows you what I know.

D-Dey65

Exit 193 on Interstate 95 still needs traffic signals at the on and off ramp intersections with SC 9 and 57.

wriddle082

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 12, 2022, 12:28:42 AM
Exit 193 on Interstate 95 still needs traffic signals at the on and off ramp intersections with SC 9 and 57.

Yes it does.  But I see less and less traffic using this exit in the future as a fuel stop if the Florence Buc-ee's eats into their business.

D-Dey65

Another issue on the vicinity of an I-95 interchange; I was checking out Exit 135 in Turbeville, and I was wondering why US 378 narrow down from a four-lane divided highway to a two-lane undivided road. Then I did a Google Street View examiniation of the area, and I realized it doesn't narrow down to two lanes. The divider just ends before approaching the vicinity of the interstate.

So the next question is, should the divider be extended a few more yards?

Mapmikey

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 13, 2022, 01:49:20 PM
Another issue on the vicinity of an I-95 interchange; I was checking out Exit 135 in Turbeville, and I was wondering why US 378 narrow down from a four-lane divided highway to a two-lane undivided road. Then I did a Google Street View examiniation of the area, and I realized it doesn't narrow down to two lanes. The divider just ends before approaching the vicinity of the interstate.

So the next question is, should the divider be extended a few more yards?

This goes back to at least 1978 per historicaerials, though the concrete strip over the interstate used to extend past the off-ramps in both directions further.

My guess is that the grass median ends where it does so that service businesses can have easy access to left turns.

cbalducc

Why was a new alignment of I-85 built around Spartanburg instead of widening the old alignment?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.