Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

This is moving really quick. I just checked and they have the other half almost in place.

I will be in Indy later this year, will definitely have to drive by and look at the progress.

Ryctor2018

The INDOT camera near County Line Road shows paving on the future southbound lanes of I-69. Things in this location are moving along quite well.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

theline

Quote from: ITB on August 15, 2021, 05:04:28 PM

Another set. Again, photos were taken Sunday, August 8, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Prior to paving with PCCP, dowel rod assemblies in place on the northbound lanes between the future I-69/State Road 39 interchange and Burton Lane in Martinsville; looking northeast. At this time, Burton Lane (background) remains open to crossing traffic, but permanent closure is expected either late this month or early next.

Another view of Ohio Street in Martinsville and the bridge work for I-69; looking southeast.

Looking north toward the State Road 44 overpass in Martinsville, which was recently opened to traffic

The view looking south from near the future I-69/State Road 252-Hospital Drive interchange in Martinsville. In the mid-background right is the approach and northern abutment of the bridge that will carry I-69 over SR 252. Soil material is now in place covering the geofoam blocks. In the deep background is the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass. The northbound lanes of SR 37 (left), which had been serving a temporary connector between SR 252 and SR 44, have been rubblized.

Equipment lined up near the State Road 252 construction zone; looking south.

View looking north toward the State Road 44 overpass.

Base of lighting fixture near the Burton Lane crossing in Martinsville; looking northeast.

Another view of the dowel rod assembles on the northbound lanes north of the future State Road 39 interchange; looking northeast.
Reviewing these photos make it hard to believe that we were able to drive through Martinsville in March, just 7 months later, on a completed mainline. Now we can see why it was necessary to close down the road to complete the work on a timely basis. Very impressive.

Sapphuby

The INDOT cameras at the SR 144 intersection shows the bridge progressing quite well. Cannot wait to see them begin work on demolition of the old road and construction of the off-ramps.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: Sapphuby on May 09, 2022, 08:20:04 AM
The INDOT cameras at the SR 144 intersection shows the bridge progressing quite well. Cannot wait to see them begin work on demolition of the old road and construction of the off-ramps.
And fast too. Good to see them getting this project done very quickly.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Henry

Looks like another two years before construction is completed, and we can drive from Evansville to Indianapolis nonstop...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

edwaleni

Quote from: Henry on May 09, 2022, 02:50:36 PM
Looks like another two years before construction is completed, and we can drive from Evansville to Indianapolis nonstop...

You mean Ft Wayne to Evansville.

The dream of the Central Canal (1835) will finally be fulfilled.

silverback1065

Quote from: edwaleni on May 09, 2022, 10:49:27 PM

:-D only took a hundred plus years  :-D

abqtraveler

Actually, Michigan to Evansville.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

IndyAgent

IndyAgent

it looks like the mile markers will be 18 miles off when 465 connects with 69 north on the northeast side. I know they did the 200's to make it easier but its just not correct mileage and it was way premature to change the numbers

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: IndyAgent on May 10, 2022, 10:31:33 AM
it looks like the mile markers will be 18 miles off when 465 connects with 69 north on the northeast side. I know they did the 200's to make it easier but its just not correct mileage and it was way premature to change the numbers
That is deliberate by INDOT.  It was much less confusing to just add 200 to each exit number and they are not going to be changed.   I-69's mile markers are just going to be off.

Since the difference is hidden in the I-465 concurrency there is no real world reason to fix the discrepancy.

I-55

Quote from: IndyAgent on May 10, 2022, 10:31:33 AM

I wouldn't call it premature in the slightest; once the first new leg of I-69 was built they wanted to avoid duplicate exit numbers. Since the final route between Indy and Evansville wasn't yet set in stone (though we had a good idea it'd use 37) using estimate mileage like they did was appropriate. It's been a long time since that renumbering and there haven't been problems with it nor has I-69 been fully completed. I can imagine a reality where INDOT renumbers it retroactively but it isn't necessary given the concurrency with 465 as GreenLanternCorps mentioned.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

silverback1065

I argue that them making the mileage correct wouldn't have made for any confusion at all. most people navigate by what the road's name is anyway.

Henry

Quote from: abqtraveler on May 10, 2022, 09:42:21 AM

Quote from: IndyAgent on May 10, 2022, 10:23:47 AM
Canada to Evansville
Actually, all of you are right, because Evansville and Port Huron/Sarnia will all be connected by the same number. And I don't mind if the exit numbers north of Indianapolis are way off of the actual distance; INDOT made the right call by adding 200 to each of them, instead of trying to figure out what they really should be when they took I-465 into account.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

abqtraveler

Quote from: Henry on May 10, 2022, 02:05:15 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on May 10, 2022, 09:42:21 AM

Quote from: IndyAgent on May 10, 2022, 10:23:47 AM
Canada to Evansville
Actually, all of you are right, because Evansville and Port Huron/Sarnia will all be connected by the same number. And I don't mind if the exit numbers north of Indianapolis are way off of the actual distance; INDOT made the right call by adding 200 to each of them, instead of trying to figure out what they really should be when they took I-465 into account.
No one will know the difference, as I-465 exit numbers will stay the same after the I-69 designation is added to the south and east legs, and AFAIK, INDOT is not planning a second renumbering of exits on the original section of I-69 from I-465 to Michigan.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

IndyAgent

I know but most people use the road that live there not the exit number usually. i thought they should have left it alone and did the numbering right. You could put 82nd street as exit whatever it should be like 178 but put old exit 1 under it. It shows an incorrect distance and I had never seen that before with roads

Great Lakes Roads

A major traffic shift is scheduled for next week to put southbound SR 37 onto the new elevated and bridges at Wicker Road and County Line Road, which means that SB traffic will no longer have to stop for signals around that area. Wicker Road and Bluff Road traffic will be using the new access road behind Glenns Valley Church to enter and exit SR 37 southbound. New interstate-style ramps will connect with a large roundabout at County Line Road west of SR 37. County Line Road east of SR 37 will close for two months for interchange construction.

sturmde

Quote from: IndyAgent on May 11, 2022, 10:22:23 AM
I know but most people use the road that live there not the exit number usually. i thought they should have left it alone and did the numbering right. You could put 82nd street as exit whatever it should be like 178 but put old exit 1 under it. It shows an incorrect distance and I had never seen that before with roads

The numbering and mile markers on 69 north of Indy very much ARE right.  There's just a segment that starts at mm 200.00 and continues northward.  There are many roadways in the United States that have discontinuities in them.  This one has the advantage of happening as it leaves a beltway.  No one would be navigating from Evansville to Ft Wayne by the continuation of mile markers across the beltway -- and it would depend on whether they went around the East side of 465 counterclockwise, or went around the much less travelled WEST side of 465.
At the moment, it's 7 more miles to go clockwise south future 69 to current north 69, but five minutes faster!!  So, there, it's only about ten miles "off".

ilpt4u

Quote from: sturmde on May 16, 2022, 05:58:33 PM
At the moment, it's 7 more miles to go clockwise south future 69 to current north 69, but five minutes faster!!  So, there, it's only about ten miles "off".
Hopefully INDOT will put its Blue Variable Travel Time signs up near the Northern and Southern I-69/465 junctions, posting both Mileage and current Drive Time to the opposite junction, going the South/East side route (the presumed signed route) vs the North/West side route

Next Level Variable Signs: The signed route officially varying with current traffic conditions and travel times! Maybe a concept for the Fictional board

IndyAgent

Quote from: sturmde on May 16, 2022, 05:58:33 PM
Quote from: IndyAgent on May 11, 2022, 10:22:23 AM

The numbering and mile markers on 69 north of Indy very much ARE right.  There's just a segment that starts at mm 200.00 and continues northward.  There are many roadways in the United States that have discontinuities in them.  This one has the advantage of happening as it leaves a beltway.  No one would be navigating from Evansville to Ft Wayne by the continuation of mile markers across the beltway -- and it would depend on whether they went around the East side of 465 counterclockwise, or went around the much less travelled WEST side of 465.

Thank you

NWI_Irish96

Re: I-69 exit numbering.

When the section of I-69 from Evansville to Bloomington first opened, it needed exit numbers. At the same time, I-69 also took over what was previously I-164. The problem is that, at that time, nobody knew when or where the new I-69 bridge over the Ohio River was going to be built, and the final routing through northern Johnson and southern Marion counties was still unsettled. The decision was made to just leave the I-164 exit numbers as they were, starting with Exit 0 at the US 41 interchange, and proceed upward from there. That necessitated a renumbering of the existing section of I-69 north from Indy to avoid duplicate mile markers and exit numbers.

Once the new bridge is built, I-69 gets a new zero mile marker and the rest of the mileage markers immediately become inaccurate. Knowing that, INDOT decided to just add 200 to the existing numbers rather than try to guess what the right numbers would eventually be.

In the meantime, I don't think anybody is going to encounter major problems because at the 300 mile marker it's actually 285 miles to Kentucky.

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Life in Paradise

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 17, 2022, 11:32:52 AM
Re: I-69 exit numbering.

When the section of I-69 from Evansville to Bloomington first opened, it needed exit numbers. At the same time, I-69 also took over what was previously I-164. The problem is that, at that time, nobody knew when or where the new I-69 bridge over the Ohio River was going to be built, and the final routing through northern Johnson and southern Marion counties was still unsettled. The decision was made to just leave the I-164 exit numbers as they were, starting with Exit 0 at the US 41 interchange, and proceed upward from there. That necessitated a renumbering of the existing section of I-69 north from Indy to avoid duplicate mile markers and exit numbers.

Once the new bridge is built, I-69 gets a new zero mile marker and the rest of the mileage markers immediately become inaccurate. Knowing that, INDOT decided to just add 200 to the existing numbers rather than try to guess what the right numbers would eventually be.

In the meantime, I don't think anybody is going to encounter major problems because at the 300 mile marker it's actually 285 miles to Kentucky.
If I was driving, I would just be glad I reached that point quicker than I had anticipated.

The Ghostbuster

I dislike the fact that they just added 200 to the pre-existing Interstate 69 segment, even if it was "allegedly logical" to do so in order to avoid confusion.

MATraveler128

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 17, 2022, 09:25:13 PM
I dislike the fact that they just added 200 to the pre-existing Interstate 69 segment, even if it was "allegedly logical" to do so in order to avoid confusion.

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the distance from the southern terminus of I-69 in Evansville to the original I-69 northeast of Indy and saw that it is 183 miles. So if INDOT at the time played fairly regarding the exit renumbering, they should have started at 183. Of course, that wouldn't take into account the distance to the future Ohio River crossing.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.