News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 2

Started by Strider, July 18, 2013, 11:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

If I-44 were to at least connect to I-20 in Abilene it would, in the big picture view, still make sense overall as a diagonal East-West corridor. The spur from OKC to Wichita Falls was added in the early 1980's. When I was a kid I remember seeing I-44 signs with a "Future" badge above the shield.

sparker

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 21, 2021, 12:55:26 AM
If I-44 were to at least connect to I-20 in Abilene it would, in the big picture view, still make sense overall as a diagonal East-West corridor. The spur from OKC to Wichita Falls was added in the early 1980's. When I was a kid I remember seeing I-44 signs with a "Future" badge above the shield.

I'm surprised -- but only mildly so -- that Abilene-Wichita Falls wasn't seriously brought up as a I-44 extension in the '80's after the Bailey Turnpike extension was designated.  But then, even with halting plans for remedies forwarded sporadically over the years, TxDOT and their Austin handlers saw fit to strand the southern end of I-27 at Lubbock, the recent P2P push notwithstanding -- so doing likewise with I-44 in the Falls had some precedent.  Nevertheless, with the Permian petroleum boom peaking around that time, it's curious why such a corridor concept never found an audience, even if it would have been shot down in short order. 

edwaleni

Quote from: sparker on July 21, 2021, 01:58:22 AM

I'm surprised -- but only mildly so -- that Abilene-Wichita Falls wasn't seriously brought up as a I-44 extension in the '80's after the Bailey Turnpike extension was designated.  But then, even with halting plans for remedies forwarded sporadically over the years, TxDOT and their Austin handlers saw fit to strand the southern end of I-27 at Lubbock, the recent P2P push notwithstanding -- so doing likewise with I-44 in the Falls had some precedent.  Nevertheless, with the Permian petroleum boom peaking around that time, it's curious why such a corridor concept never found an audience, even if it would have been shot down in short order.

I always thought the I-44 Extension was a military highway accommodation for Fort Sill and Sheppard AFB. It allowed technical resources from Tinker AFB to get down there.

Scott5114

Quote from: edwaleni on July 21, 2021, 09:48:46 AM

I always thought the I-44 Extension was a military highway accommodation for Fort Sill and Sheppard AFB. It allowed technical resources from Tinker AFB to get down there.

Actually, my understanding, based on contemporary newspaper articles, was that it was merely the Oklahoma transportation apparatus's way of celebrating the 75th anniversary of Oklahoma statehood in 1982. The turnpike had been open for a couple of decades by that point, it just didn't have a number. Lest that sound faintly ridiculous, it wouldn't be the last time Oklahoma did something like that–the replacement of the circle shield with the meat cleaver was done in 2006 explicitly as part of the state's centennial celebration.

(So for those who are hoping for I-45 in Oklahoma or the designation of US-412 as an interstate...2032 maybe?)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bobby5280

The H.E. Bailey Turnpike was first completed in 1964. The biggest reason for building the turnpike was connecting the cities of Lawton and Wichita Falls to Oklahoma City. One of the motives for re-signing the turnpike as an extension of I-44 could have been Fort Sill and Sheppard AFB. One of the original purposes of the Interstate highway system was help efficiently move military equipment and personnel over land -just like the Autobahn in Germany.

The military is another angle why I think more should be done with US-281 in Texas. Not only does it have the potential as a serious relief route for I-35 (to bypass Austin and even DFW). It also could better connect the various military installations in San Antonio, Fort Hood in Killeen as well as Sheppard AFB, Fort Sill in Lawton and Tinker AFB in OKC. Altus AFB is about an hour's drive West of Lawton. US-62 is four-laned all that way; however, the road in Lawton (Rogers Lane) needs some serious work, as does I-44 where it runs thru Fort Sill.

kphoger

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 21, 2021, 01:38:47 PM
the road in Lawton (Rogers Lane) needs some serious work, as does I-44 where it runs thru Fort Sill.

I always dread I-44 through Lawton.  It's not even all that bad, really.  But I still don't like it.  Low speed limit, curves, a combination of slow-driving vacationers and fast-driving locals...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 21, 2021, 01:14:16 PM

Actually, my understanding, based on contemporary newspaper articles, was that it was merely the Oklahoma transportation apparatus's way of celebrating the 75th anniversary of Oklahoma statehood in 1982. The turnpike had been open for a couple of decades by that point, it just didn't have a number. Lest that sound faintly ridiculous, it wouldn't be the last time Oklahoma did something like that–the replacement of the circle shield with the meat cleaver was done in 2006 explicitly as part of the state's centennial celebration.

(So for those who are hoping for I-45 in Oklahoma or the designation of US-412 as an interstate...2032 maybe?)

But, they will have to get Texas to comply.

I don't know what I think about extending I-45.  I would like to see it go to Tulsa, yet I have always had some weird sense of pride that the only intrastate interstate ending in 0 or 5 was in my home state.  It's like one of those stats out there that's not a bad stat, but not necessarily a good one either, but you are proud of it just the same when it's a stat about you.  Like as a Cubs fan, I am kinda proud the team had to wait 108 years to win a championship.  It's like world championship type suffrage!!

Bobby5280

Quote from: kphogerI always dread I-44 through Lawton.  It's not even all that bad, really.  But I still don't like it.  Low speed limit, curves, a combination of slow-driving vacationers and fast-driving locals...

The stretch of I-44 going by Fort Sill's Polo Field and the Key Gate exit 41 is pretty sub-standard. There are no interior left shoulders. The right shoulders go from minimal to non-existant along the exit on/off ramps. The I-44 bridges over Sheridan Road have no shoulders at all. Same goes for the I-44 bridges over Howitzer Trail immediately North of Exit 41. The whole thing is a pretty narrow bottleneck. To top it off, the I-44 bridges over Medicine Creek are fairly low. In the past 10 years we've had flooding along Medicine Creek and Cache Creek bad enough to close I-44 there (as well as OK-7/Lee Blvd and Gore Blvd).

The I-44 interchange with Cache Road and 2nd Street in Lawton is an odd one. There are multiple features I don't like about it, the biggest one being the tight curve on EB I-44 at the top of the bridge just before the left exit ramp to Cache Road. There's lots of vehicle and tire scuff marks along the concrete bridge walls from drivers taking the curve too fast.

Regarding how fast locals drive in Lawton, I have a much bigger problem with people around here driving way under the speed limit than driving too fast. There's nothing quite like someone driving 15-20mph under the posted speed limit on a busy street like Cache Road to cause all kinds of traffic weaving conflicts. Too many people are obsessed with their phones too. A traffic signal will turn green, but one or more cars ahead aren't moving. Gotta finish writing that tweet first.

bwana39

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 21, 2021, 02:00:13 PM

I don't know what I think about extending I-45.  I would like to see it go to Tulsa, yet I have always had some weird sense of pride that the only intrastate interstate ending in 0 or 5 was in my home state.  It's like one of those stats out there that's not a bad stat, but not necessarily a good one either, but you are proud of it just the same when it's a stat about you.  Like as a Cubs fan, I am kinda proud the team had to wait 108 years to win a championship.  It's like world championship type suffrage!!

You love Texas so much you are a Cubs Fan? LOL. 

You know the singe biggest roadblock for Texas not wanting to use IH #'s? The minimum distance between exits.  TXDT generally builds every freeway to the IH standards except for that. There are some older ones that lack complete shoulders and have geometry issues, but the new ones pretty much are good in those areas.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: bwana39 on July 22, 2021, 11:37:50 AM

You know the singe biggest roadblock for Texas not wanting to use IH #'s? The minimum distance between exits.  TXDT generally builds every freeway to the IH standards except for that. There are some older ones that lack complete shoulders and have geometry issues, but the new ones pretty much are good in those areas.

Explain.  It was my understanding that Texas had more exits than any other state's freeways because they wanted access to every bump in the road. 

kphoger

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 22, 2021, 01:57:38 PM
It was my understanding that Texas had more exits than any other state's freeways because they wanted access to every bump in the road. 

Yeah, I believe Texas' approach to Interstate-ing was to preserve as much local access as possible.  That contrasts with most states' approach.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

edwaleni

Cubs fans are not and never will be restricted by geography.  Though I gotta say, I have never, ever thought of the Dallas Cowboys as "America's Team".  Only network executives push that narrative because its not in New York, Chicago or Los Angeles and want the ratings to stay high.

sparker

Quote from: kphoger on July 22, 2021, 02:11:28 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 22, 2021, 01:57:38 PM
It was my understanding that Texas had more exits than any other state's freeways because they wanted access to every bump in the road. 

Yeah, I believe Texas' approach to Interstate-ing was to preserve as much local access as possible.  That contrasts with most states' approach.

With TX penchant -- and legal requirements for private access -- for constructing extensive frontage roads on most of their freeways, Interstate or not, adding exits at even seemingly random points would be less difficult that with other states; conversely, the exits can be (and sometimes are) spaced out so that a single exit ramp over to the frontage road is intended to serve several intersecting roads or nearby communities.

Re the Cowboys as "America's Team":  That perception is the result of decades of incessant PR flack, and the continuing desire of the NFL to foment ongoing rivalries (hence the placement of Dallas in the NFC East so as to require at least two games per year with teams from the NE metro areas) -- essentially the "Yankee snobs" versus the "guys with the white hats", so to speak.  Regional tribalism at its finest! 

bwana39

Quote from: edwaleni on July 22, 2021, 02:20:51 PM

Cubs fans are not and never will be restricted by geography.  Though I gotta say, I have never, ever thought of the Dallas Cowboys as "America's Team".  Only network executives push that narrative because its not in New York, Chicago or Los Angeles and want the ratings to stay high.

I did not mention the Cowboys. Jerrell Jones is a mouth that overloads his behind.  The Cowboys are as glittery as their cheerleaders and haven't been competitive is a couple of decades.  I am still a fan in spite of it, but I haven't watched a NFL game except in passing in a restaurant in three or four years.

I am a Rangers Fan. I am not a Jon Daniels fan though!
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Mike2357

I was shocked also to learn that there was an interstate less than 4 (in florida). I-2 doesn't even fully connect to any of the I 69s and I'm not sure what they connect to either. They just should bring the 101 freeway in CA up to interstate standards and have an Interstate 1!
Interstate Highways are what define the United States of America

oscar

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 12, 2021, 08:41:55 PM
I-2 doesn't even fully connect to any of the I 69s and I'm not sure what they connect to either.

I-2 has direct interchange connections to both I-69C and I-69E. I-2 also intersects US 281 and US 77 at the 69C and 69E interchanges, and is concurrent with part of US 83.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Bobby5280

Quote from: Mike2357I was shocked also to learn that there was an interstate less than 4 (in florida). I-2 doesn't even fully connect to any of the I 69s and I'm not sure what they connect to either. They just should bring the 101 freeway in CA up to interstate standards and have an Interstate 1!

The existing US-83 freeway from the Mission area to Harlingen was re-signed as I-2 recently, the same time I-69C and I-69E were signed over US-281 and US-77 respectively. The I-2/I-69C and I-2/I-69E "Y" interchanges are pretty decent.

Considering just how many people live within the group of cities at the far South end of Texas it shouldn't be surprising that region would get its existing freeways re-signed as 3 different Interstate routes. Other loop projects are in the works for that region.

Like other parts of the I-69 system in Texas the I-2 corridor is far from being complete. The exit numbers for I-2 at least show long term intention for the Interstate's Western terminus to be in Laredo. The La Joya Bypass currently under construction will extend the length of I-2 by around 7 miles. Planning has been ongoing for a bypass going North of the cluster of towns from Roma over to Las Lomas. That won't be Interstate quality at first, but may be upgrade-able to such later.

As for US-101, I agree the whole thing from L.A. up to San Jose ought to be improved to Interstate standards (including re-doing a LOT of really crappy ramps). I think it will happen eventually, but over a course of many more years. As for re-naming it as "I-1," I think there is zero chance of that happening. For one, there's the naming conflict with CA-1 in the immediate vicinity. And I think quite a few people are used to the 101 being called the 101.

yakra

We've just gotta find the right segment of CA1 to renumber as I-1, and then...
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Mike2357

Quote from: yakra on August 12, 2021, 10:01:55 PM
We've just gotta find the right segment of CA1 to renumber as I-1, and then...

I don't like those roads that constantly change whether they are limited access or not. The 101 must change that at least 5 times.

Bobby5280

The current US-101 route from the Bay Area down to LA is a mess of different standards. Bits and pieces of it are up to major Interstate urban freeway standards and other parts are no different than an average bum-f*** 4-lane highway here in Oklahoma, with driveways a-plenty. One freeway interchange will have modern quality ramps while another nearby has ramp designs of 1960's quality.

I think the patch-work of different standards along US-101 make the road far less safe than a route that is 100% up to modern Interstate standards.

sparker

Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 13, 2021, 12:01:50 AM
The current US-101 route from the Bay Area down to LA is a mess of different standards. Bits and pieces of it are up to major Interstate urban freeway standards and other parts are no different than an average bum-f*** 4-lane highway here in Oklahoma, with driveways a-plenty. One freeway interchange will have modern quality ramps while another nearby has ramp designs of 1960's quality.

I think the patch-work of different standards along US-101 make the road far less safe than a route that is 100% up to modern Interstate standards.

The potential -- or lack thereof -- of deploying an Interstate, or even raising US 101 standards to that level, has been pretty much hashed over to death in the Southwest board; but despite the population base arrayed along that route, it'll probably never happen for any number of reasons:  much of it, particularly along the coast above Santa Barbara, is within California Coastal Commission-governed territory, and they're pretty much death for any new freeway projects north of Goleta.  About the only new upgrades are in the Paso Robles area, where the expressway section north of town is being upgraded to a freeway because of the additional traffic stemming from the area becoming a wine-tasting mecca (better that half-drunk folks get off the freeway on a diamond ramp than try to make a left across traffic!). 

Nevertheless, US 101 is a longstanding and quasi-permanent situation that most CA drivers have internalized by this time; if US 83 gets interim expressway -- either 2 or 4 lanes -- treatment as the first step toward an Interstate, that facility will likely get the full treatment in a relatively short time.  TxDOT isn't Caltrans; they aren't looking over their shoulders anytime someone in the agency says the word "freeway" in anything but a perjorative manner.  There will probably be a finished I-2 to Laredo by 2035-40, while out here US 101 drivers will still be dodging at-grade cross traffic along most of the sections where that's the case today. 

GreenLanternCorps

Mike2357

I wonder where they got the number 2 from though. How did they get that from connecting to two 69s? Also, it seems the two 69s don't connect to any other interstates themselves either, at least not yet.

Thegeet

1. It was in all likelihood a random (but educated) number.
2. They passed a bill to allow the designations to stand. BUT, under the conditions that they will connect within 25 years of the bill.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 13, 2021, 10:33:14 AM
I wonder where they got the number 2 from though. How did they get that from connecting to two 69s? Also, it seems the two 69s don't connect to any other interstates themselves either, at least not yet.
Quote from: Thegeet on August 13, 2021, 10:50:08 AM
1. It was in all likelihood a random (but educated) number.
2. They passed a bill to allow the designations to stand. BUT, under the conditions that they will connect within 25 years of the bill.

I-2 does fit in the grid after all.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.