News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Old" roads/avenues/streets

Started by Buffaboy, October 06, 2016, 01:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

In southern Reno, NV, there's a street called "Old Virginia Road". I believe this to be an older alignment of Virginia Street, given that it's just east of Virginia Street, and the current alignment of Virginia is much wider and straighter than that of Old Virginia. Note that Virginia Street was originally designated US 395 (now the rarely-signed US 395 Business) prior to the construction of the current freeway alignment. Note also that there are a few sections of Old Virginia Road in areas not built up commercially, that still have the feel of an old two-lane state highway.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Max Rockatansky

Old Skull Valley Road in Skull Valley, AZ basically is an older alignment of modern Yavapai County Route 10.

The High Plains Traveler

I spent a few days in Santa Fe last month, and did a little research on the streets that enter the city and approach the historic (1610) Plaza. Coming in from the east, you exit I-25 at Old Pecos Trail. Following this north, it immediately intersects Old Las Vegas Highway, which is old U.S. 85 paralleling I-25 to the east for a distance. Then, Old Pecos Trail runs into and becomes Old Santa Fe Trail. Interestingly the old maps shone little light on the derivation of these names, since Old Santa Fe Trail into the Plaza area was formerly named College Avenue.

Confusingly, Old Santa Fe Trail east of its intersection with today's Old Pecos Trail was originally named Pecos Road. I don't know why there would be both a Pecos and Santa Fe Trail, since there has always been but one road that goes over Glorieta Pass and down to the town of Pecos, on the river of the same name.

I also forgot to add that the original route of U.S. 64-84-285 leaving the Plaza area to the north is named Old Taos Highway. This was bypassed, first by Guadalupe Street, and then St. Francis Drive, as the exit north for those highways (64 of course is long gone).
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Inyomono395

Just north of Bishop California there is road called lower rock Creek RD. Also known as, and signed as "Old Sherwin Grade". It is the former alignment of US 395 going up Sherwin Grade before the expressway was built.

Mammoth Lakes California has a road named "Old Mammoth Road" It takes you to old mammoth.

In the small community of Keeler California there is a road named "Old State HWY" It's the old alignment of SR 190

US 395 ALT between Carson City and Reno is sometimes signed as "Old 395"

I believe the former alignment of SR 58 in Barstow is called "Old State Route 58"

fillup420

US 74 in North Carolina has been almost completely moved onto expressway/freeway alignments over the years. One can find many instances of "Old Charlotte Hwy" or "Old US 74" especially between Asheville and Charlotte. There is even a 60 mile-long US 74A that is well signed as such.

US 421 is another route that has had many realignments throughout its life. I have driven the stretch between Boone and the southern terminus south of Wilmington many times. There are at least 30 little loop roads called "Old Hwy 421" or variants of such.

iPhone

roadman65

Old Winter Garden Road in Orlando has no Winter Garden Road.  Its old only because it was the original alignment for nearby FL 50 and its predecessors.  Ditto for Old Cheney Highway on the east side in which all of State Road 50 in Brevard County is indeed named Cheney Highway.

In Edison, NJ there is an Old Post Road that parallels US 1, but as the US route was originally on the Lincoln Highway, that is now NJ 27 in the area, it cannot be an old alignment of it.  However Old Post Road does loop off of Woodbridge Avenue, part of Middlesex County Route 514, so it most likely is an old alignment of that road.  In addition there is a road called King George Post Road running through Raritan Center east of the Old Post Road's eastern terminus, so I assume the "Post" in that name is derived from the "Post" in Old Post and might of been connected at one time.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

6a

This little spur is named Old SR 665, even though it splits off of SR 317, dating to the 70s when 317 was extended westward to US 23, replacing 665 in the process.

Max Rockatansky

Old Creamery Road in San Luis Obispo County at Harmony is a older alignment of CA 1. 

slorydn1

Here in Craven County we have numerous "Olds" but the big ones that I know some of the history behind are:

Old US 70 (SR-1005) between Dover and New Bern which was obviously the old 2 lane alignment of US-70 before the freeway was built.

Old Cherry Point Rd (SR-1113) was once upon a time US-70 and before that, NC-10. Long  time locals tell me (no hard proof) that what is now the westbound lanes of US-70 was the original 2 lane coming west out of Havelock until the Fisher's Landing Rd intersection  and then US-70 went up what is now the westbound service road and then up along  Old Cherry Point Rd from there (none of what is now US-70 from Fishers landing to New Bern existed back then).

We also have Old Brick Rd in Ernul, Old Pollocksville Rd SW of New Bern, Old Vanceboro Rd N of Bridgeton, and Old Washington Rd N of Vanceboro, all of which may or may not have been old alignments of US-17 (I have nothing I can pass along to either prove or disprove that theory that I have been able to locate).

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Tschiezberger123

We have Old County Road 17, an older alignment of CR 17 before the new alignment was completed in 2012.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5645789,-85.8866008,302m/data=!3m1!1e3

GaryV

Quote from: roadman65 on December 06, 2016, 09:04:56 AM
In Edison, NJ there is an Old Post Road that parallels US 1, but as the US route was originally on the Lincoln Highway, that is now NJ 27 in the area, it cannot be an old alignment of it.  However Old Post Road does loop off of Woodbridge Avenue, part of Middlesex County Route 514, so it most likely is an old alignment of that road.  In addition there is a road called King George Post Road running through Raritan Center east of the Old Post Road's eastern terminus, so I assume the "Post" in that name is derived from the "Post" in Old Post and might of been connected at one time.

Those likely were roads built so the mail (post) could be delivered from one place to another.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_road

mwb1848

Old Mobile Highway in my hometown of Pascagoula, Miss., is an old alignment of US 90 which connected the two cities. Annoyingly, it was caught up in an attempt to retroactively standardize 100% of E-W thoroughfares as Avenues and 100% of N-S thoroughfares as Streets. While that's been largely abandoned, there are still a handful of "Old Mobile Avenue" signs hanging around.

Old Pascagoula Road in Mobile County, Ala., is part of an old US 90 alignment as well.

Howpper

Columbia Park Trail, and Kennedy Road in Benton County, WA were once part of U.S. 410

J3ebrules

I know this is an "old"  topic, but my personal favorite in and around Bensalem/Longhorne in Pennsylvania, off of US 1, is "Old Lincoln Highway"  - probably an original alignment of THE Lincoln Highway!
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

Evan_Th

I grew up in Chapel Hill, NC.  There was an "Old NC 86" northwest of Chapel Hill, from before NC highway 86 was moved to its new alignment in IIRC the 1960's.  There's also an "Old Durham Road" and "Old Chapel Hill Road" which're the old alignment of US 15-501 between Durham and Chapel Hill, and a short "Old Pittsboro Rd" from before Business 15-501 south toward Pittsboro was aligned to a smoother path downhill.

I'm less sure about "Old Greensboro Road west of Carrboro" - the new Greensboro Road, NC 54 to US 70, is pretty old.

But the most historical is definitely Old NC 10 in central Orange County.  NC 10 was the main east-west highway across North Carolina; this part of it was realigned to not have so many railroad crossings and then replaced by US 70 long ago.

thspfc

Old 51 Road in Arbor Vitae WI.

Max Rockatansky

Old Highway in Mariposa County California which was once Legislative Route 18 and a precursor to CA 140:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/06/old-highway-mariposa-county-old.html?m=1

Big John

Old Hwy 18 in Stevens Point/Amhearst WI/

kurumi

Related thread (but not a duplicate, probably no need to merge): https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=6379.0
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

CardInLex

Similarly, in Lexington, KY there is New Circle Road (KY 4). However, there was never a "Circle Road"  nor an "Old Circle Road."

ftballfan

There's an Old M-11 in Honor, MI (M-11 became US-31 in 1926)

KeithE4Phx

Bloomington, IN: The original road to Martinsville (18??-1950, also known as Dixie Highway, State Road 22, and the first IN 37), north of the city, is officially called Old 37, but is sometimes called Old Martinsville Rd. 

Actually, it should be called "Old Old 37," but the 2nd alignment of 37 (1950-72) is either called North Walnut St. or Business 37 North.  The latter should disappear in time, once I-69 is finished to Indy and 37 ends at 69 south of Bloomington.

Central Wisconsin, roughly Oshkosh to Monico:  At a half-dozen or so places along US 45, the old alignment branches off the current route, and is called Old 26 Rd.  US 45 north of Oshkosh was State Trunk Highway 26 prior to 1934.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Kulerage

All of the ones I can think of are either former alignments for the road, or had an old establishment that was moved/destroyed located on the road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.