News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

White-on-Black Ontario Trailblazer Sign

Started by 7/8, June 30, 2016, 12:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7/8

Just wondering if anyone could tell me about this trailblazer sign for highway 8:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4250992,-80.4189932,3a,30y,305.2h,88.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shdpTZ9o1DhGTdQKNSHV-XQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Trailblazer signs are usually white-on-green in Ontario, so I'm curious why this one is white-on-black? Are there other signs like this, or is this a unique exception?

Thanks!

EDIT: I took a picture of it on July 22nd, 2016

AsphaltPlanet

It was likely made by a private contractor for the region, who didn't follow provincial specs.  (It's probably cheaper to print in black than it is to do so in green).
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

SignGeek101

I've seen the opposite too. Here in Manitoba, white on green is also used for trailblazers. A white on green 'TO' plaque is normally above the sign. This sign however, is confusing and partially incorrect.

Route 42 south should be the sign with the trailblazer. [TO] [ROUTE 42] [SOUTH]→
Route 42 north should be a normal black and white sign. [ROUTE 42] [NORTH] →

The way the above sign is posted, it looks like both 42 North and South are both to the right, which is obviously impossible. What is more bothersome though is that the NORTH and SOUTH tabs are one plate; a unisign.

7/8

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 30, 2016, 02:55:50 PM
It was likely made by a private contractor for the region, who didn't follow provincial specs.  (It's probably cheaper to print in black than it is to do so in green).

That seems like a good explanation. At least in this case, the sign is still easy to understand.

Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 30, 2016, 11:02:18 PM
I've seen the opposite too. Here in Manitoba, white on green is also used for trailblazers. A white on green 'TO' plaque is normally above the sign. This sign however, is confusing and partially incorrect.

Route 42 south should be the sign with the trailblazer. [TO] [ROUTE 42] [SOUTH]→
Route 42 north should be a normal black and white sign. [ROUTE 42] [NORTH] →

The way the above sign is posted, it looks like both 42 North and South are both to the right, which is obviously impossible. What is more bothersome though is that the NORTH and SOUTH tabs are one plate; a unisign.

That sign is really confusing! How could anyone approve that?  :confused:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.