Most Common Out-Of-State License Plates In Your Area That DON'T Border Your Stat

Started by thenetwork, June 25, 2020, 10:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

I was out on I-70 in Western Colorado today.  The majority of car license plates is (duh?) Colorado with nearby Utah a close second.

So EXCLUDING all plates from bordering states, what 1-states are the most common "visiting" license plates that pass through your area??

Again, in my W. CO travels over the last few weeks, most cars/RVs I've seen are from (in no particular order):

- California
- Nevada
- Texas

Your area?

webny99

In this part of New York, I think Florida is a clear #1.

After that, it's probably:
-Ohio and Virginia
-Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Maryland, Delaware, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire in some order
-Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and North Carolina in some order

Not a lot of West Virginia or Maine. You will see the occasional California or Texas, which are probably mostly rental vehicles.
I think that covers the bases. Everything else is either a border state, or too rare (at least in my experience) to be worth mentioning.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ben114

webny99

I think we just found out the character limit for thread titles: 80 characters
"State" in this title has become "Stat", and it wasn't a typo, because I just tried to add the "e" with no success.

corco

jeffandnicole

It can vary slightly, but in my area of NJ, Virginia & North Carolina seem to be relatively common. Maryland, while less than 15 minutes away, may not even be in the top 5.

Flint1979

I've seen lately

Virginia
Florida
California
New York
Washington
Texas

Those are just off the top of my head.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Konza

Texas.

Military base near here.  Texas is a populous state.  Lots of military bases.  Lots of Texans in the military, and more who become Texans when they get stationed in Texas.

Oregon or Washington might be next, but most of them have headed back north by now.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

DandyDan

I see a lot of Texas for some reason here. Texas is straight down I-35. I also see a lot of Michigan, which I don't have a good explanation for. The guy in the apartment across the hall has a Michigan plate on his Ford Fusion, largely because his dad, who still lives there, has his name on the title.

It was much more interesting when I lived in the Omaha area, as I lived fairly close to Offutt AFB. I would see Hawaii regularly and I saw Guam more than a few times.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

NWI_Irish96

For Indiana it really depends on what road you're on and what part of the state you're in. Where I live now, it's definitely Wisconsin. If I'm on 65 south of Indianapolis, it's Tennessee. I rarely drive on 70, but I imagine it would be Missouri.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jmacswimmer

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 25, 2020, 11:30:16 PM
It can vary slightly, but in my area of NJ, Virginia & North Carolina seem to be relatively common. Maryland, while less than 15 minutes away, may not even be in the top 5.

Conversely, I've noticed a lot of NJ plates over here in Maryland.  NY, NC, & FL plates also seem to be a common sight.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on June 26, 2020, 08:47:38 AM
I see more Maine than New Jersey here.
PRobably depends on where in Massachusetts. You live closer to Maine.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Hard to say because, with the nation's capital being here along with multiple military installations, we see loads of out-of-state plates. In my unscientific observation, it feels like New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Florida are the most common.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ari-s-drives

I'm in California suburbs so I don't see a lot of non-bordering states but most of the ones I do see are Texas (and there's a military base in my town so I often see one car with a Virginia plate that hasn't reg'd it in CA yet).

jp the roadgeek

I would say in CT it's a close battle between Vermont and New Jersey, depending on which part of the state you're in.  Vermont is popular because for years, many people have notoriously skirted the property tax laws by registering their car at their ski chalet up there.  The next 4 in no particular order would be New Hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania, and Florida.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

STLmapboy

Florida is no 1 in St Louis besides Illinois. It's actually pretty uncommon to see some bordering states (like Iowa or Nebraska).
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

Easy.  Texas.

In fact, when I make license plate spotting games for road trips, I give more points for spotting Oklahoma in Kansas than I do for spotting Texas in Kansas.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

For northern Utah, almost certainly the answer is California. If I had to put the states I see around here in order, it'd look something like this:

1. UT
2. ID
3. NV
4. CA
5. WY
6. CO
7. AZ
8. TX
9. WA
10. OR

In Atlanta, the answer is easily Florida. By far.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

kphoger

However, on the Interstate, I'd say the following are very common in Kansas:

Illinois
Indiana
Maine

Can you guess why?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on June 26, 2020, 10:51:37 AM
However, on the Interstate, I'd say the following are very common in Kansas:

Illinois
Indiana
Maine

Can you guess why?

No idea.

The first two make sense, based on location, but Maine is an oddball. In fact, out of all 50 states, probably only Alaska and Hawaii would be more of an oddball than Maine, in Kansas.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.