News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Kentucky

Started by NE2, April 22, 2011, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on September 26, 2022, 09:13:27 AM
Does anyone know why the Mayfield Bypass around Mayfield, KY has no connection with US 62?  I noticed that US 62 crosses over US 68 but no ramps between the two. Both are two lane non freeway roads too.  Seems real strange to have this crossing the way it is.

You mean Maysville, and I have no clue why this road was designed this way.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Quote from: hbelkins on September 26, 2022, 09:17:27 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 26, 2022, 09:13:27 AM
Does anyone know why the Mayfield Bypass around Mayfield, KY has no connection with US 62?  I noticed that US 62 crosses over US 68 but no ramps between the two. Both are two lane non freeway roads too.  Seems real strange to have this crossing the way it is.

You mean Maysville, and I have no clue why this road was designed this way.

You figure with the weight restrictions on the old Ohio River crossing, they would build ramps so the trucks could have easy access to the newer crossing.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

seicer

US 62 isn't a high-volume route - it's mostly a local route that is mostly unimproved from its iteration. Through traffic to the central part of the state will use US 68. At any rate, it's just a several-minute detour to get on the William Harsha Bridge over the river: https://goo.gl/maps/rP9F6fDKGRYPE4kj9

From what I recall in the local paper at the time, the reason that an interchange wasn't considered for US 62 is because of cost and local concerns about the bypass being further developed.

CardInLex

The interchange further up the road at US 68 and KY 10 is interesting. It looks like there is an extra ramp. I doubt there is enough traffic that the loop ramp couldn't have handled both left and right turns. At the end of the ramp an extra left turn lane probably could have handled the traffic and would have been cheaper than the extra ramp.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/U6o2GMFY8oxMo1U86?g_st=ic

roadman65

Does AA stand for anything on KY Route9?

Sheryl Crowe

codyg1985

Quote from: roadman65 on September 26, 2022, 03:22:38 PM
Does AA stand for anything on KY Route9?

Ashland-Alexandria I think.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

roadman65

I understand it's Kentuckys way of competing with Ohios US 52.  However, unlike the US Route it parallels, it has limited services so cities like Mansfield make out with their fast food and motels.

Sheryl Crowe

seicer

Quote from: CardInLex on September 26, 2022, 03:14:37 PM
The interchange further up the road at US 68 and KY 10 is interesting. It looks like there is an extra ramp. I doubt there is enough traffic that the loop ramp couldn't have handled both left and right turns. At the end of the ramp an extra left turn lane probably could have handled the traffic and would have been cheaper than the extra ramp.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/U6o2GMFY8oxMo1U86?g_st=ic

It's called a "flop" interchange in the value engineering document: https://transportation.ky.gov/Highway-Design/VE%20Study/VE200810.pdf. This document also explains why intersections were not considered for Clarks Run or US 62 (cost and topography).

For the extension to the east side of the city, interchanges will be built at US 68 and KY 11.

dvferyance

skluth

roadman65

Considering that three states touch both the Ohio River and Great Lakes, it seems appropriate.  Now you don't, let's say for Indiana, have to find the line between the part of the state in the GL thread or OV thread.

Sheryl Crowe

GCrites

Quote from: roadman65 on September 26, 2022, 03:51:25 PM
I understand it's Kentuckys way of competing with Ohios US 52.  However, unlike the US Route it parallels, it has limited services so cities like Mansfield make out with their fast food and motels.

For the most part, new stuff just doesn't open up on these new freeways in this part of the country and if it does it takes a really long time. OH-32 is the same way. It didn't get the kind of instant development that say, interstates in the Midwest in the '60s did. A city as old as Marysville (1787) on the AA Highway is going to be an exception since there was already significant development already.

hbelkins

I just drove US 52 between West Portsmouth and Aberdeen the other day. There's very little in the way of services along the route. There's actually more in Vanceburg on the AA between the river crossings than there is anywhere along 52.

roadman65

All I know is Ashland Stations were plentiful in 1989 along the route. That is US 52.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

Quote from: wriddle082 on September 03, 2022, 07:44:07 AM
Quote from: ibthebigd on September 03, 2022, 02:22:24 AM
Is there any plan to build a flyover ramp from I-264 to I-65 south?

SM-G996U

I think the FAA would take issue with any sort of high ramps at this interchange since it's right up against the airport.  They probably did the best that they could when they reconstructed that monstrosity back in the late 80's.
Sounds like they would have to go subterranean.  They did that over at ATL and BNA.

seicer

US 52 is kind of the forgotten but scenic route along the river. There were more amenities (restaurants, gas stations) along the route but the completion of the AA Highway (1995) and the Appalachian Highway siphoned off through traffic. For us, it takes 2.2 hours to get to Cincinnati via the AA Highway, or 2 hours via OH 32/73, or 3 hours via US 52.

The AA Highway hasn't fully developed except for Maysville and, to a limited extent, Vanceburg because of utilities and a lack of traffic. It's down to 1,300 or so along the northern branch toward US 23, 2,300 or so along the southern branch toward I-64, 6,200 west of Vanceburg, 12,000 around Maysville, and 6,000 west of Maysville.

roadman65

The AA Highway does not offer scenic river views like US 52 and yes, it hasn't had time to develop being so recently established.  Plus the part of the state is not a high demanding area for transplants to relocate to like, say, many parts of Texas or Florida are.

I also heard as well, though, that the AA Highway is accident prone due to it having long straightaways with no curves. Don't know if that's true as it was a Wiki Article, which is not factual but opinions based upon anybody who has access to the articles.

Sheryl Crowe

Life in Paradise

Quote from: seicer on September 26, 2022, 02:55:10 PM
US 62 isn't a high-volume route - it's mostly a local route that is mostly unimproved from its iteration. Through traffic to the central part of the state will use US 68. At any rate, it's just a several-minute detour to get on the William Harsha Bridge over the river: https://goo.gl/maps/rP9F6fDKGRYPE4kj9

From what I recall in the local paper at the time, the reason that an interchange wasn't considered for US 62 is because of cost and local concerns about the bypass being further developed.
Also of interest along with this is that the way I'm looking at the map, the bypass around Cynthiana, KY does not include US 62 on the east side, only US27, and it would not have been a long distance to connect US 62 to make a full bypass for that route.

ibthebigd

I made the mistake going from Cynthania to Maysville once. It was not a fun drive.

I live in Georgetown and US 460 to Paris is so narrow I hate driving it.
Luckily they are starting the process to widen 460 a little.

SM-G996U

hbelkins

Quote from: Life in Paradise on September 28, 2022, 09:32:10 AM
Quote from: seicer on September 26, 2022, 02:55:10 PM

Also of interest along with this is that the way I'm looking at the map, the bypass around Cynthiana, KY does not include US 62 on the east side, only US27, and it would not have been a long distance to connect US 62 to make a full bypass for that route.

They've tinkered with the routings a bit, but the old route through Cynthiana (to the best of my recollection) is signed as Business 27, with the appropriate concurrencies for KY 32 and KY 36 as needed. At the roundabout, US 62 is routed along US 27 (the bypass) to the north side of town, then makes a right turn to be concurrent with Business 27 for a short distance before turning left to head toward Mt. Olivet and Maysville.

Quote from: ibthebigd on September 28, 2022, 10:45:04 AM
I made the mistake going from Cynthania to Maysville once. It was not a fun drive.

I live in Georgetown and US 460 to Paris is so narrow I hate driving it.
Luckily they are starting the process to widen 460 a little.

SM-G996U

Yes, US 62 between Cynthiana and Maysville is not really a fun drive. I've been on it, but try not to use it unless I have to. And if you think 460 between Georgetown and Paris is bad, keep going past Paris to Mt. Sterling.

ibthebigd

Yes I've made that drive from Paris to Mt Sterling not fun to North Middletown then it's not bad

SM-G996U

seicer

Spottsville Bridge is a through truss bridge that carries US Route 60 over the Green River in Spottsville, Kentucky. It was originally constructed in 1931 and replaced in 2022. This is a flyover taken just two days before the secondary span was blasted; the main span will be blasted later in October.

➤ Check out our article on this bridge at http://bridgestunnels.com/location/spottsville-bridge/

codyg1985

I love how Kentucky has been building new through truss bridges to replace older spans. It is much better than the boring typical bridges most DOTs use these days.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Rothman

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 10, 2022, 12:47:03 PM
I love how Kentucky has been building new through truss bridges to replace older spans. It is much better than the boring typical bridges most DOTs use these days.
Wonder if they're forced to through historical preservation.  In NY, that's the only way new trusses are built, I believe.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on October 10, 2022, 11:59:04 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on October 10, 2022, 12:47:03 PM
Wonder if they're forced to through historical preservation.  In NY, that's the only way new trusses are built, I believe.

I don't know why a new modern-looking truss bridge would be a mollifying factor in tearing down an old truss bridge.

In this instance, I would suspect river navigation might be one reason they opted for a truss. The Green River is fairly wide and is navigable at that point so it's possible that was a factor. The truss allows them to have fewer piers.

A new truss bridge is being built on US 60 across the Cumberland River near its mouth.

The one new truss that I can't understand is the KY 451 Home Lumber Bridge in downtown Hazard. The river is certainly narrow enough there that a truss isn't necessary, but one was built. There may have been local support for a truss since the old bridge there was also a truss.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.