News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Flag Genealogy
Last post by kurumi - Today at 11:45:36 AM
There are likely some vexillologists in here with some good insights.

It's mildly interesting that:
* the Union Jack combines the English, Scottish, and Irish flags (a cross and two saltires)
* a few national flags (AU, NZ, Fiji, Tuvalu) include the Union Jack in the canton (upper pole side)
* in a way, these flags have three "grandfathers"

I wonder if any flags have four or more generations that are visible
Southeast / Re: Interstate 42
Last post by bob7374 - Today at 11:39:54 AM
Looks like they're starting to work on the northern end of the US 70 upgrade project through James City , the road will be closed at times this weekend to remove the railroad crossing signals:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2024/2024-04-19-craven-county-highway-temproary-closure.aspx
Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by webny99 - Today at 11:37:18 AM
^ All I'm saying is a somewhat similar strategy worked out OK for the Packers with Jordan Love and even better for the Chiefs with Mahomes. Even though the financials here are a bit different, the fact that they just paid Cousins so much money is arguably the worse move. It's a unique approach, but too early to say for sure that it was a bad move since the projected upside is long-term rather than immediate. If the pick hits, the contract stuff won't matter as much, and certainly won't be a talking point in 5+ years.
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by roadfro - Today at 11:34:29 AM
Quote from: Amaury on April 24, 2024, 04:12:05 PMThis is on US Route 2 at the Idaho and Montana border. I don't think I've seen a sign that actually said state line: https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZbUjEXdFeByQtAuR8
<...>
That Idaho sign is also kind of wrong by having "standard" in there. Just have Pacific Time Zone, like the Montana side does in the other direction, except it's Mountain instead of Pacific. And what's with the hyphens?
It's only wrong about 7 months out of the year... unless maybe Idaho DOT changes it out for a sign stating "Entering Pacific Daylight Time Zone" during daylight savings...

Yeah, odd that they'd include "standard" time in the sign. But I've found a lot of people don't understand what "standard" or abbreviations like "PST" or "PDT" mean in this context, and use the terms incorrectly all the time. 

Only place where including "standard" on a sign like this might make sense is entering Arizona or some other place that does not observe daylight savings time.
Quote from: triplemultiplex on Today at 11:09:32 AMAs much as a LOVE panning around on Google Earth and the like and enjoy it when there is new imagery to browse, I have a pang of nostalgia for the days before the ubiquity of such online resources and my efforts to keep our copy of the Delorme atlas for Wisconsin updated amid a flurry of rural expressway/freeway construction in the state.

The only method at my disposal from the back seat was to have a pencil and lightly make notes as we were driving a new alignment approximating where we were based on the landmarks I could see.  Then I'd go back with whiteout and pen once we got home and make the changes permanent.  The pencil was crucial because I could erase my crude sketch before committing it to pen with a nice flat desk to work on.

I drew many a new bypass fairly accurately in this manner, particularly along WI 29 and US 10.  I want to say I got really close with my rendering of the WI 29 bypass of Shawano and Bonduel when I compared it to aerials years later.  This was also how I tracked the freeway conversion of US 41 between Milwaukee and Oshkosh throughout the 90s.

I still use pen and whiteout to keep my old Delorme atlas current.  (I really like the cartography in those old atlases.)  But it's so much easier to do it with aerials on a screen in front of me.  Still, I admire the ambition I had and the tinge of excitement when the annual Thanksgiving trip to Milwaukee neared.  Because I knew I would see what progress had been made that summer.

That's made me smile, it's pretty heartwarming. I remember when I also drew on my maps, but instead of drawing newly built roads, I drew traced over routes that I wanted to drive on. The fact that you still draw on that old map, I really like that dedication, heheh!
Traffic Control / Re: Is Georgia finally getting...
Last post by roadfro - Today at 11:26:26 AM
Quote from: ran4sh on April 25, 2024, 10:21:00 PM
Quote from: roadfro on April 25, 2024, 11:52:48 AMThe exit to US 23 rightly deserves an exit only panel since that lane drops.

This isn't a lane drop, the exit uses a regular deceleration lane. I don't think it would make sense to drop a thru lane right before a major system interchange.
An added deceleration lane still drops, so an exit only panel isn't out of the question (Nevada DOT will typically sign these with exit only).
General Highway Talk / Re: Roads that you have been o...
Last post by LilianaUwU - Today at 11:16:53 AM
I have been on infrastructure in Québec, yes.
As much as a LOVE panning around on Google Earth and the like and enjoy it when there is new imagery to browse, I have a pang of nostalgia for the days before the ubiquity of such online resources and my efforts to keep our copy of the Delorme atlas for Wisconsin updated amid a flurry of rural expressway/freeway construction in the state.

The only method at my disposal from the back seat was to have a pencil and lightly make notes as we were driving a new alignment approximating where we were based on the landmarks I could see.  Then I'd go back with whiteout and pen once we got home and make the changes permanent.  The pencil was crucial because I could erase my crude sketch before committing it to pen with a nice flat desk to work on.

I drew many a new bypass fairly accurately in this manner, particularly along WI 29 and US 10.  I want to say I got really close with my rendering of the WI 29 bypass of Shawano and Bonduel when I compared it to aerials years later.  This was also how I tracked the freeway conversion of US 41 between Milwaukee and Oshkosh throughout the 90s.

I still use pen and whiteout to keep my old Delorme atlas current.  (I really like the cartography in those old atlases.)  But it's so much easier to do it with aerials on a screen in front of me.  Still, I admire the ambition I had and the tinge of excitement when the annual Thanksgiving trip to Milwaukee neared.  Because I knew I would see what progress had been made that summer.
Key Bridge & I-95 Philly like several others have mentioned. One I haven't seen mentioned yet, though it didn't turn out to be a huge disaster, is I-10 near DTLA - I was on that stretch about 3 weeks before the pallet fire that closed it for a little over a week.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.