News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Using the Pavement as Signage Continues

Started by brad2971, January 26, 2023, 09:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad2971

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3185385,-82.8086201,3a,37.5y,165.84h,76.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sET21PDJMq8bcFmrAJoMATw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Found on I-75 in FL, near the GA border. This is the first time I think I've seen the exit number stenciled (if that's the word in this instance) onto the pavement shoulder.

US 89

This is pretty common in Florida. Here's another example from I-10 near Tallahassee, another one from I-95 near Ormond Beach, and yet another one from the Turnpike.

NE2

That's done in case signs are downed in a hurricane IIRC.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

wriddle082

They do this in SC as well, but not everywhere, and usually just once on one of the overpasses.  I always thought it was done so emergency responders in helicopters knew what exit they were at.

Scott5114

You see something similar on I-40 in Texas. Oddly, though, this practice doesn't seem to be done elsewhere in the state. It looks like with recent repavings, they are not repainting the numbers.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

pderocco

This seems like a logical extension of the practice of putting route numbers in the travel lanes leading up to an interchange where the road splits several ways.

I wonder if the cameras in new cars can read these road markings, the way they read certain signs like speed limits.

Road Hog

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 28, 2023, 05:22:15 PM
You see something similar on I-40 in Texas. Oddly, though, this practice doesn't seem to be done elsewhere in the state. It looks like with recent repavings, they are not repainting the numbers.
I see it all the time around the Metroplex. Supposedly the exit numbers are there partly to assist airborne law enforcement in traffic monitoring and high-speed chases.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.