News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Deer AHTD: Is University Avenue in Little Rock a state highway?

Started by bugo, June 15, 2014, 11:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

University Avenue between US 70/AR 5 and AR 10 is built more like a highway than your typical Little Rock city street.  The signage resembles AHTD standards.  Is it a secret state highway, and if so what is its secret number?  Was it built by AHTD then turned over to Little Rock for maintenance?

AHTD

University Avenue from I-30 to Asher Avenue is U.S. Highway 70.

At this northern intersection, U.S. 70 progresses east on Asher and then follows Roosevelt Road further east.

Otherwise, University Avenue is a major north-south arterial for Little Rock.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

bugo

Quote from: AHTD on June 16, 2014, 09:59:16 AM

At this northern intersection, U.S. 70 progresses east on Asher and then follows Roosevelt Road further east.

I know all of that...but was it built by the highway department? 

Avalanchez71

Arkansastravelguy

AHTD

Quote from: bugo on June 16, 2014, 07:21:13 PM
Quote from: AHTD on June 16, 2014, 09:59:16 AM

I know all of that...but was it built by the highway department?

Originally built by the city of Little Rock and adopted into the state highway system.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

bugo

University north of the 5/70 intersection is a state highway?  What's the number?

Scott5114

No, they're saying University was built by Little Rock, and the part that is US-70 was adopted into the state highway system later.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

RBBrittain

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 17, 2014, 03:38:23 PM
No, they're saying University was built by Little Rock, and the part that is US-70 was adopted into the state highway system later.
Actually, the part of University that's US 70 has always been a state highway.  It, along with the original roadbed of I-30 from University to Benton, was built in the mid-to-late 1950's as the "New Benton Highway" (US 67/70).  The part north of Asher, originally Hayes Street, is (and always has been) a Little Rock city street.  (Edit: The short section south of I-30 to Chicot Road was also built by the city, though with state help.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.