News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The 2023 Roadmeet collection Thread

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, September 09, 2022, 10:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on September 15, 2022, 03:42:17 PM
Quote from: US 89 on September 14, 2022, 10:31:07 AM
There is definitely enough for a meet in the greater Salt Lake City region between new construction, unique interchange/roadway designs, some abandoned alignments, and a handful of old bridges. That said, if the idea is for me to show up I'm not sure 2023 is the best time for that - as I am going to be in Tallahassee full time for most of the next couple years and likely will only be in Utah around holidays/at times people won't want to have meets.

2025/26 then? Because Salt Lake is close enough for me to do as a weekend.
I suggest a mainstream Salt Lake event in 2023, and then there can be a different one (or centered around a different city like Provo) in 2025 or 6 or so.

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on September 15, 2022, 11:49:41 PM
There is definitely enough for a meet in the greater Salt Lake City region between new construction, unique interchange/roadway designs, some abandoned alignments, and a handful of old bridges. That said, if the idea is for me to show up I'm not sure 2023 is the best time for that - as I am going to be in Tallahassee full time for most of the next couple years and likely will only be in Utah around holidays/at times people won't want to have meets.

I suggest a mainstream Salt Lake event in 2023, and then there can be a different one (or centered around a different city like Provo) in 2025 or 6 or so.
Check it out.  I think you'd dig Provo.  You could do well there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

Quote from: Rothman on September 15, 2022, 11:52:52 PM

Provo is lame.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: US 89 on September 16, 2022, 12:08:18 AM

Provo is lame.

So if Rothman, but we've all stopped counting.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Alps

Sorry, I need one wife before I can consider multiple.

Brandon

Quote from: Alps on September 16, 2022, 06:57:53 PM

Sorry, I need one wife before I can consider multiple.

You have to go down to Colorado City for that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alex

I always loved that bit about Provo in Oceans 11. Even quoted it on FB when I was in Provo back in 2016.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Alex on September 16, 2022, 08:35:02 PM

I always loved that bit about Provo in Oceans 11. Even quoted it on FB when I was in Provo back in 2016.

So is Rothman now hosting a roadmeet in Provo, this year or next year?

getemngo

Quote from: Alps on September 09, 2022, 10:42:34 PM
I would love to get a meet to reclinch US 31. Since that's new construction it is something that maybe can be built around, but I'll need someone from SW Michigan to take the lead.

Was thinking about doing a little friends gathering for this, as I did when M-231 was built. I could be persuaded to turn it into an actual roadmeet.

However, it's opening in like a month. True to Michigan roadmeet tradition, shall we do it in January? :spin:
~ Sam from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: getemngo on September 25, 2022, 07:40:24 PM
I would love to get a meet to reclinch US 31. Since that's new construction it is something that maybe can be built around, but I'll need someone from SW Michigan to take the lead.

Was thinking about doing a little friends gathering for this, as I did when M-231 was built. I could be persuaded to turn it into an actual roadmeet.

However, it's opening in like a month. True to Michigan roadmeet tradition, shall we do it in January? :spin:
I think I'm spent on travel for a bit with work. Until... exactly when spring arrives there

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: getemngo on September 25, 2022, 07:40:24 PM

I read something that it's opening in mid-November.

Alps

One meet should be on April 1 because it's a Saturday and therefore we should have a meet. I don't know if people want to ACTUALLY DO West Irondequoit but I'm throwing it out there now for consideration.

vdeane

Quote from: Alps on October 02, 2022, 12:36:35 PM
One meet should be on April 1 because it's a Saturday and therefore we should have a meet. I don't know if people want to ACTUALLY DO West Irondequoit but I'm throwing it out there now for consideration.
I've actually been debating on and off whether to host something there that weekend.  The main hindrances are thus:
1. It's the weekend before Easter, and traveling two weekends in a row tends not to be good for me (also, if I got a promotion or transfer any time soon, I'd still be in the six month window where it's frowned upon to take too much vacation time).  That said, I'm not sure that this is insurmountable... if I take a day off after returning to the Albany area to put the meet report on my site, that would allow me to sleep in, and maybe take the blunt off that.
2. In order to make actually driving every ramp of the 590/104 interchange even remotely natural and not just a bunch of turning around, the Irondequoit Bay Outlet Bridge needs to be open for car traffic - and April 1 is the day it typically closes to open Irondequoit Bay to boat traffic.  Will have to watch what happens here - or maybe we can settle for "many ramps" rather than "all the ramps".

So... not saying no, but also not saying yes at this time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Alps on October 02, 2022, 12:36:35 PM

I must admit, I did think about putting West Irondequoit on the list, if for no other reason than to chide the "East Coast Hive Mind" over lame roadmeet event jokes that no one else cares for.

Laura

Quote from: hbelkins on September 14, 2022, 08:07:46 PM
Quote from: Laura on September 13, 2022, 01:29:22 PM
I'm looking at Cumberland for 2023. I had originally wanted to do this meet in May or October but honestly summer may be the way to go. The only question is timing...which month would people be more likely to attend? I see Cody already has Little Rock in June, so perhaps July or August? Need feedback.

Fall foliage in that mountainous area might be a drawing card for October. (But what would it do to lodging rates/availability in the area? I know rates go sky-high in the Beckley and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge areas in October.)

Yep, rates do increase significantly in October. Plus, I was unsuccessful in hosting in October 2020 and 2021 because it's a busy month for me work-wise (we have festivals jam-packing September and October in my town because happy fall y'all!)

Edit to add: I found out that August 19th is out of the running for the mystery summer meet, so I'm looking at August 12th.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Laura on October 18, 2022, 09:20:36 AM
Edit to add: I found out that August 19th is out of the running for the mystery summer meet, so I'm looking at August 12th.

"Mystery summer meet"?
-A.J. from Michigan

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 18, 2022, 01:41:35 PM

"Mystery summer meet"?

The "East Coast Hive Mind's" revival of The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour.

Laura

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 20, 2022, 12:03:12 AM

"Mystery summer meet"?

Yes, I referenced the "mystery summer meet" back on 9/13:

Quote from: Laura on September 13, 2022, 01:54:48 PM
Yeah. So a little birdie just told me that someone else is planning a meet in either July or August but is waiting to announce after the major and minor leagues have finalized baseball game schedule times. If they decide to host in July, then I'll do August and vice versa. Looking at these dates: 7/15, 7/29, or 8/19.

I feel weird talking about the host and their meet like this but I want them to be the one to formally announce their meet when they are ready to do so. At any rate, 7/29 is their first choice date, which I hope isn't too close to 8/12 to split attendance, but if it is then c'est la vie.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Laura on October 20, 2022, 01:08:54 PM

"Mystery summer meet"?

Yeah. So a little birdie just told me that someone else is planning a meet in either July or August but is waiting to announce after the major and minor leagues have finalized baseball game schedule times. If they decide to host in July, then I'll do August and vice versa. Looking at these dates: 7/15, 7/29, or 8/19.

I feel weird talking about the host and their meet like this but I want them to be the one to formally announce their meet when they are ready to do so. At any rate, 7/29 is their first choice date, which I hope isn't too close to 8/12 to split attendance, but if it is then c'est la vie.

Ah... yes I do recall that this was mentioned.  It's just strange that we are hearing about possible dates for a meet that we have no idea who is hosting or where it will take place.
-A.J. from Michigan

cl94

I want to put larger feelers out for this idea that got the interest of a smaller group: a guided roadgeek hike at Donner Pass.

This would push Reno back to 2024 or 2025, which might be better because it would allow other projects in the region to start.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

bandit957

I might attend the Columbus meet. But only if poo. I might actually already have a different trip in the works for that weekend.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 12, 2022, 11:03:48 AM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 11, 2022, 10:42:00 AM
I am thinking of an Indy meet at some point within the next few years (either 2024 or 2025).
What about this coming year, with the I-70/65 rebuild finishing up?

I'd be interested in either of these.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: bandit957 on October 21, 2022, 10:37:38 AM
I might attend the Columbus meet. But only if poo. I might actually already have a different trip in the works for that weekend.
For what its worth, I wasn't planning on including "poo" on the itinerary in the 2023 edition
https://dlz.com/blog/massive-tunnel-constructed-beneath-downtown-columbus/#:~:text=Named%20the%20Olentangy%2DScioto%20River,railroads%20and%20the%20Scioto%20River

Brandon

Quote from: cl94 on October 20, 2022, 10:40:50 PM
I want to put larger feelers out for this idea that got the interest of a smaller group: a guided roadgeek hike at Donner Pass.

This would push Reno back to 2024 or 2025, which might be better because it would allow other projects in the region to start.

So, who's for lunch?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Laura

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 20, 2022, 02:48:16 PM
Quote from: Laura on October 20, 2022, 01:08:54 PM

"Mystery summer meet"?

Ah... yes I do recall that this was mentioned.  It's just strange that we are hearing about possible dates for a meet that we have no idea who is hosting or where it will take place.

Dan announced it with its own thread: Buffalo, NY on Saturday, July 29, 2023

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.